PDA

View Full Version : Anybody having engine startup/computer booting issues?

bullant12
10-03-2011, 08:04 AM
We recently made it back from Lincoln, AL (we were doing trike training with GWRRA in the Honda plant there). Had a great time and learned how to handle our :spyder2:s better. But this is what happened...

Several times during the training and on the way back home, I would turn the key on my RT and let the computer boot up, press the MODE button when indicated, and hit the engine start. Sometimes it would start normal, sometimes it would boot the computer but the engine be on (and have to press the MODE button again even if the engine is on), and sometimes it would TRY to turn over, but then the computer would reboot and not let me turn over the engine. Eventually I would get the RT on and rYde normal and made it home without other issues.

Any ideas? I will call the dealer tomorrow since they are closed today.

Mr. White
10-03-2011, 08:14 AM
I am sorry I can not help you with your problem, but some here will. My question is what does Honda do at this plant in Lincoln, AL?

:spyder2:

boborgera
10-03-2011, 08:20 AM
We recently made it back from Lincoln, AL (we were doing trike training with GWRRA in the Honda plant there). Had a great time and learned how to handle our :spyder2:s better. But this is what happened...

Several times during the training and on the way back home, I would turn the key on my RT and let the computer boot up, press the MODE button when indicated, and hit the engine start. Sometimes it would start normal, sometimes it would boot the computer but the engine be on (and have to press the MODE button again even if the engine is on), and sometimes it would TRY to turn over, but then the computer would reboot and not let me turn over the engine. Eventually I would get the RT on and rYde normal and made it home without other issues.

Any ideas? I will call the dealer tomorrow since they are closed today.

Sometimes a loose battery terminal will cause what your describing:dontknow:When you hit the start button the battery ,for a split second will lose contact if a terminal is slightly loose.

SpyderAnn01
10-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I am sorry I can not help you with your problem, but some here will. My question is what does Honda do at this plant in Lincoln, AL?

:spyder2:

They make Odyessy, Pilot & Ridgelines there.

bullant12
10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
My question is what does Honda do at this plant in Lincoln, AL?

They manufacture the Ridgeline, Pilot and Odyssey in the Lincoln plant. The plant is on the other side of the interstate where Talladega Motor Speedway is.

bullant12
10-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Sometimes a loose battery terminal will cause what your describing:dontknow:When you hit the start button the battery ,for a split second will lose contact if a terminal is slightly loose.

I checked the terminals and the fuses and they seemed fine. :dontknow:

NancysToy
10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
I checked the terminals and the fuses and they seemed fine. :dontknow:
Did you remove the body panels and check the terminals at the battery itself? The terminals under the seat are secondary. Also, it is more often the relays than the fuses. Beyond that, it could be a loose connector, bad battery, or a number of other things, but it will take some diagnostic tools and tests to track it further. Most common cause is loose or dirty battery terminals, or a low battery. Putting it on the charger will cure the latter...temporarily.

Bob Denman
10-03-2011, 12:17 PM
You take the Spyder to a Honda plant and it starts acting up? I personally would suspect foul play...:shocked: :gaah::roflblack:
(loose connection: :thumbup:)

bullant12
10-03-2011, 12:27 PM
You take the Spyder to a Honda plant and it starts acting up? I personally would suspect foul play...:shocked: :gaah::roflblack:
(loose connection: :thumbup:)

Good point... But also our goal was to expose Honda people on :spyder2:... Can you imagine a reverse GW???:popcorn:

bullant12
10-03-2011, 01:26 PM
They are reversed.
They put the two wheels in the back.

As one :spyder2: ryder said during training: "They are missing a wheel!":roflblack::roflblack:

jsore6465
10-03-2011, 07:31 PM
I also had same problem with mine, they replaced battery,cluster panel and throttle body and 2000 miles later all is fine. Start with battery. My dealer is atlantic city cycle center

bullant12
10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
I also had same problem with mine, they replaced battery,cluster panel and throttle body and 2000 miles later all is fine. Start with battery. My dealer is atlantic city cycle center

Thanks! Although my dealer here in the Memphis area works good for me. I'd love to go to Atlantic City but for a recreational trip.

clueless
10-13-2011, 02:54 AM
eric... havent been on here in a while...

check the GROUND bolt right next to the fuse box UNDER the seat. it is the ground bolt for the computer. I had the EXACT same problem. posted about it early this summer. if you lift the seat and hit the starter sometime you will actually see a spark on that bolt.

its located right next to the square fuses box under the seat on the left side. mine was finger tight.

dealer could not figure out what was wrong did not throw any codes, turns out that was it

bullant12
10-13-2011, 07:43 AM

check the GROUND bolt right next to the fuse box UNDER the seat. it is the ground bolt for the computer. I had the EXACT same problem. posted about it early this summer. if you lift the seat and hit the starter sometime you will actually see a spark on that bolt.

its located right next to the square fuses box under the seat on the left side. mine was finger tight.

dealer could not figure out what was wrong did not throw any codes, turns out that was it

Thanks Earl... I have checked the terminals and the relays... Although it's not as bad, it is still doing it. I'll look into that bolt today. Leaving for Middle TN after work on the :spyder2:'s.

ARtraveler
10-13-2011, 11:21 AM
As suggested--that reverse Honda GW is the one I believe a lot of people would be interested in seeing. :popcorn:

bullant12
10-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Thanks Earl... I have checked the terminals and the relays... Although it's not as bad, it is still doing it. I'll look into that bolt today. Leaving for Middle TN after work on the :spyder2:'s.

IT WORKED!! I did what you said. Opened the seat, turned the :spyder2: and saw the spark. Turned engine off, restarted and did the same thing. I've tighten the bolt and sure enough, it stopped doing it!!:D Gray is herself again!!!:D:D Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!! Spyderlovers at it's best!!

lasermic
10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Good point... But also our goal was to expose Honda people on :spyder2:... Can you imagine a reverse GW???:popcorn:

I think I found a reverse 1800 - hannigan makes a kit. here is a link

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/xSpecsPDF/HRT-Spacs.pdf (http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/xSpecsPDF/HRT-Spacs.pdf)

clueless
10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
IT WORKED!! I did what you said. Opened the seat, turned the :spyder2: and saw the spark. Turned engine off, restarted and did the same thing. I've tighten the bolt and sure enough, it stopped doing it!!:D Gray is herself again!!!:D:D Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!! Spyderlovers at it's best!!

Eric,

Hey you are buying next time we meet ... and I am not talking beer this time ... LOL

would I steer ya wrong brother....

Earl

bullant12
10-14-2011, 05:33 AM
I think I found a reverse 1800 - hannigan makes a kit. here is a link

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/xSpecsPDF/HRT-Spacs.pdf (http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/xSpecsPDF/HRT-Spacs.pdf)

Do you think they just sell the front conversion kit?:doorag:

Eric,

Hey you are buying next time we meet ... and I am not talking beer this time ... LOL

would I steer ya wrong brother....

Earl

Name it and claim it ;)