PDA

View Full Version : I DEFINITELY need THREE Wheels!

bruisersbaby
10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
This weekend (Friday-Sunday), I took the motorcycle safety course. This is taken on 250 cc motorcycles. The instructors are great, help you any way that they can, and I learned a great deal this weekend. One is that I can ride a two-wheel and that has given me more confidence. However, I got a DNF(did not finish) because, coming out of a turn and starting up again, the bike stalled and fell on my ankle. I have a bad sprain, but other than that I am okay. The instructors and the women in the class (yes, it was an all-woman class) helped a great deal, and there were even two nurses to look after me. This has just proven to me that I will be much better on our Spyder. Again, the knowledge and confidence this class gave me was invaluable.
:trike::trike::trike:

SpyderAnn01
10-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I applaud you for taking the class on 2 wheels :clap: Do you need to pass that in order to get your endorsement?

bruisersbaby
10-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I applaud you for taking the class on 2 wheels :clap: Do you need to pass that in order to get your endorsement?

No, you don't need to pass the course, but if you do, it will help with decreasing the insurance. I'll have to take the practical at the Highway patrol, but my learner's permit is good for a year, so I should be okay. Thanks for the compliment. I've got to say I'm a lot less stressed than I've been this whole weekend!

:D

DocRags
10-15-2011, 08:59 AM
This weekend (Friday-Sunday), I took the motorcycle safety course. This is taken on 250 cc motorcycles. The instructors are great, help you any way that they can, and I learned a great deal this weekend. One is that I can ride a two-wheel and that has given me more confidence. However, I got a DNF(did not finish) because, coming out of a turn and starting up again, the bike stalled and fell on my ankle. I have a bad sprain, but other than that I am okay. The instructors and the women in the class (yes, it was an all-woman class) helped a great deal, and there were even two nurses to look after me. This has just proven to me that I will be much better on our Spyder. Again, the knowledge and confidence this class gave me was invaluable.
:trike::trike::trike: :agree::agree::agree: ...stress level for me during the class was extremely high, especially when they had the eight (6 experienced male riders, 2 women) of us in class doing figure eights while shifting up & down from 2nd to/from 3rd.

That makes two of us with DNF...sorry to hear about your injury, glad you will be OK. At the end of the first day the instructors told me they were concerned about MY safety but I told them I was more worried about THEIR safety since I was on the 250 cc bike while they were on foot!
:trike: <--------THAT is exactly what I worried would happen to them! (They did tell me they thought an additional hour of private instruction would probably get me over the basics of shifting, etc). The other safety stuff they taught was good but a lot of it wasn't applicable to the :spyder2: (no hand brake, etc). A 3-wheel class is definitely needed in this end of the state. Until then, I guess I'll just practice around the neighborhood.

Blondespyder
10-16-2011, 06:43 PM
I took the class years ago and it also was just small bikes and a class of about 30! Very stressful. However, our instructors were great and they will not fail anyone! They will stay until you get it. I dont think they even sold spyders when I took the class to be honest...LOL. I think at least two people dropped their bikes that weekend and it was not women. With the class we get a discount on our insurance and because we take a written and driving test,we don't have to do anything at the DMV except present the class paperwork to have the motorcycle endorsement on our license.. Very informative class and I recommend everyone taking it if it is offered in your area. It not only gives you much needed confidence in your abilities, our class taught us how to drive defensively because you have to admit.. No one looks out for bikes as much as they should. I think you are going to do GREAT on your Spyder and your already ahead of the game... You can ride two- wheels. :-). So glad to hear you were not injured

bruisersbaby
10-30-2011, 07:14 PM
I took the class years ago and it also was just small bikes and a class of about 30! Very stressful. However, our instructors were great and they will not fail anyone! They will stay until you get it. I dont think they even sold spyders when I took the class to be honest...LOL. I think at least two people dropped their bikes that weekend and it was not women. With the class we get a discount on our insurance and because we take a written and driving test,we don't have to do anything at the DMV except present the class paperwork to have the motorcycle endorsement on our license.. Very informative class and I recommend everyone taking it if it is offered in your area. It not only gives you much needed confidence in your abilities, our class taught us how to drive defensively because you have to admit.. No one looks out for bikes as much as they should. I think you are going to do GREAT on your Spyder and your already ahead of the game... You can ride two- wheels. :-). So glad to hear you were not injured

That is one thing I keep telling myself - I actually did ride on two! I'll be honest, though, I don't ever want to do it again. I trust 'Bruiser' (my hubby) implicitly, but will not ride on his Vulcan. I'm comfortable on three, and yes, my instructors were great, too. I'm hoping the community college will get a trike course started before my learner's permit runs out so I can get the safety course and don't have to mess with the Highway Patrol tests.

Doc - I can truly understand how you feel. I think we both feel the same way about two!

Thanks again!

:2thumbs:

SpyderDuck
11-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I wanted to take the trike safety class, but it is only offered in Asheboro, and as far as I know, they didn't even have a class this year. I think the trike class would be the most beneficial to me; it should teach everything applicable from the 2-wheel class about safety, and I wouldn't have to get on a 2-wheeler. I have no business on 2 wheels; I am naturally very clumsy. I refuse to take a 2-wheel class and endanger myself and probably others, and with my social anxiety issues, I would be a wreck. I am really disappointed that no trike class was offered this year. I called multiple times to ask about the class, and my calls were never returned. Maybe if more of us get on the waiting list, we can have a class next year.

bruisersbaby
11-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey, Spyderduck! When I checked out the MSF website, I did see that they had Asheboro listed for trike course. As you said, they probably didn't have enough trikes for the course. Maybe you can get some of your Spyder friends in the area to call about the course so they'll have enough. Lenoir CC in Kinston, about 40 minutes from me, is supposed to offer a trike course next Spring/Summer. This is the same place I took the course last month. I'm hoping I can take it then, as I've got my learner's permit until July 2012. Then I wouldn't have to take the driver test at Highway Patrol. Take care and tell your sister I said 'hi'! :ani29: :)