PDA

View Full Version : Ely Ride

bumblebeeyello
09-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Those of you that can make it, we will be riding to Ely, MN (or as far as the fire will let us) yes the fire is still burning and I have heard that it is about 60% contained with about 600 fire fighters still working on it. None the less, we are going to give this a try, the colors should be beautiful on the scenic ride to Two Harbors and Silver Bay. We plan to leave Grantsburg (go up Wisconsin 35) on Sunday October 2nd around 7:30 am and meet others at the Perkins (next to the Edge Water) on the northside of Duluth at or before 9:30 am. Please give me a call if you want to make this ride. 608-359-8649 Hope to hear from many of you, this should be alot of scenery and good pictures.

ARtraveler
09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Wish I could go with you--the North Shore Drive up Hwy 61 to Hwy 1 should be in all her fall glory this time of year--likewise Hwy 1 to Ely. I used to go canoeing where the fire started--Lakes 1, 2, 3, 4--etc.

That is really a nice fall ride. Some pictures if possible.

If the fire keeps you out of Ely, you might consider walking the trail up Oberg Mountain Lookout. Its a bit North of Tofte--but I don't remember the name of the cut off road--its on the map of course. Nice parking lot and not to bad of a hike. When the leaves are in their glory--you get Lake Superior views to the east, and the surrounding forest and BWCAW wilderness from other directions. The reds, oranges, and yellows were some of the best I have ever seen.

It was a yearly thing when I lived in the area.

If you wanted a little more North Shore, the drive all the way to Grand Marais and then up the Gunflint Trail (about 50 miles to the end--from Grand Marais--all paved) OR: Tofte and the Sawbill Trail--also paved, are IMHO, more scenic than HWY 1. I always felt a little creeped out by the emptyness of that Hwy. If you take either of the alternate routes--gas up at either Tofte or Grand Marais. No gas on the Sawbill and 1 pump at Poplar Lake Lodge on the Gunflint--expensive though.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

bumblebeeyello
09-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Thank you for the info. Sorry you won't be able to go with us! It will be nice to meet you someday! One of us will definitely post the or some pictures.

ARtraveler
09-30-2011, 07:07 PM
As I went for a fall ride this PM, I thought of a correction to my information, and came up with a couple additional suggestions if you cant go to Ely as planned.

Paula(Butch2025)
09-30-2011, 07:09 PM
:ohyea:Count us in Robin! --Paula

bumblebeeyello
09-30-2011, 10:47 PM
:ohyea:Count us in Robin! --Paula

YAY!:clap::thumbup::D:2excited:

bumblebeeyello
09-30-2011, 10:50 PM
As I went for a fall ride this PM, I thought of a correction to my information, and came up with a couple additional suggestions if you cant go to Ely as planned.

Lay it on me.

ARtraveler
10-01-2011, 12:22 AM
I edited my post #2.

bumblebeeyello
10-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I edited my post #2.

Thanks we will keep that in mind. Looks like any direction we go will be scenic and interesting.