PDA

View Full Version : Nighty-Night Spydee

Dragonrider
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Given the weather changes, it looks like it's almost time to put her away for the season. This was a good year - great rides to the coast, mountains, Yellowstone…. 36 to 94 degrees, no rain.. all-in-all, very memorable.

Might see a couple of local rides - just to keep the battery up :D - but now the planning starts for 2012….

CyncySpyder
09-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Wow, I guess I have another reason to be grateful that Teddy & I live in the MidWest and NOT the GREAT NORTH WEST. I realize our climates are vastly different and that you have to do whats right for you, but I couldn't imagine willfully going without SpYderRyde'n for that long :yikes:

I KNOW Major Depression would set in right away & I would be utterly worthless :(
Just knowing that your about to do what your about to do, I find myself EXREMELY SAD..... FOR YOU.

Does anyone know of, or has anyone started a 12 STEP PROGRAM for SPYDER ADDICTION yet? I know I can't be the only one that feels this way, so theres deffinately a Market for it, right? Or am I just that CRAZY? :dontknow:

ARtraveler
09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
The weather has really started to change here in AK. The leaves that are still up have lost their luster, and about 2/3 of them are down--just waiting for one more really windy day-and they will be gone for the year.

It is frosting every night in the low areas--some are scraping ice off the windshields in the morning. My SUV is full of dew--but no frost in my neighborhood as of yet.

I rode into work yesterday and 39 degrees was on the Spyders thermometer. It looks even colder today. We are still getting mid 50's by afternoon--so the ride home is still pleasant and beautiful. Like those first warm days of spring that I so look forward to.

I am still riding into work everyday and putting a couple hundred miles on during the weekends. The winter riding gear is now on all the time. Akspyderlady passed her permit test yesterday--so she will probably get some spyder driving in this weekend. I figure that I have about a month before snow that stays comes to my neighborhood--then, I will put the motorcycles away for the year.

Maybe we should come up with a 12 step program--to keep us out of trouble during the long winter.

I am already having symptons. I was looking at Corbin saddlebags and a fairing for my Vulcan LTD. They really look nice--but should I spend the 3K to dress her up over the winter? Unfortunately, I am pretty much done farkling the RTS. It had pretty much everything to start.

We need help for the winter.

daveinva
09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Wow, I agree, how depressing! I'm just getting started! :D

I've got all my waterproof winter gear, I've got my Gerbing stuff, I've got my Powerlets and battery tender all juiced up rarin' to go... I CAN'T WAIT for the colder weather to get here, I loathe that sweaty/sticky riding.

SpyderDen
09-28-2011, 12:16 PM
We are just coming into our BEST ryding weather here. Should last about 8 months.:2thumbs:
Oops, sorry !:wrong:

Neez
09-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Surely you jest, Dragonrider! I live in the Northwest and ride all year, baring snow, which we don't get much of. There are lots of nice days among the rainy ones. And if it does rain, that's what rain gear is for ( don't leave home without it!). Hey, we're West Coasters! It's not like we're going to melt if we get a little wet!

Slybird
09-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Surely you jest, Dragonrider! I live in the Northwest and ride all year, baring snow, which we don't get much of. There are lots of nice days among the rainy ones. And if it does rain, that's what rain gear is for ( don't leave home without it!). Hey, we're West Coasters! It's not like we're going to melt if we get a little wet!

I totally agree! Bought my RT-S a year ago last August (13 months ago) and if I only rode when it was sunny and beautiful in the NW I'd only have about 2,300 miles on the RT, instead of over 23,000!!! God bless Frogg Toggs and Gerbings!! Keep in mind, all this is being said with brotherly love, i.e. different strokes for different folks. When you do ryde, my friend, ryde safe!

Dragonrider
09-28-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm happy for you in the East, fortunately, we never get weather like you get in the East - 90 degrees and 60% humidity takes the fun out of riding too. Having said that, I never willingly ride in the rain - even our showers. Ever. Winter is when I strip the tupperware, and detail the bike - wax the frame, clean the inside of the tupperware, make sure there are no leaks, and generally make sure it's ready for Spring & Summer.

Like motorcycles, I love the taste of a good (and better) single malt scotch. Having more than one, spoils it.

They make tractors for heavy lifting on the property, and cages for rain and other crummy weather…. That's just me.

RetiredCGRider
09-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Wow you mean that you don't ride in the rain, I ride all year long. Not in the snow and Ice but rain gear is for the rain and heated gear is for the cold, and with that there is no reason not to rind all year.

I guess when your to old to ride in the rain, the sun is your best friend. It's going to rain on Saturday, I think I'll go for a ride.

Spyder Couple
10-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I have ridden in the rain without rain gear and it isn't to bad.

But medical issues keep me from doing it to much in the rain. Lots of joint pain if I get to cold and can't afford heated gear right now.
We will ride when we can and if we get wet we will have dry clothes ready when we get home.

It is also a good time to do yearly maintence to the spyder durning the winter. (good thought Bill)

For those of you who ride rain (Michael) or shine

Enjoy and ryde safely..

Scotty saw you on hwy 217 at about noon today with your trailer. Hope you had a great ryde. Miss seeing you and your smile.

Cindy (Darrell's Better Half)