PDA

View Full Version : back draft

venom
09-28-2011, 08:31 AM
has anyone found a way to stop back winds on a RT-S

Hawk
09-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Don't eat chili before you go for a ride??:roflblack: Sorry, had to!!! I have not really noticed any back wind. Riding solo or 2 up?

CyncySpyder
09-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I don't notice much back-draft myself, unless I have the shield all the way up, then its HORRIBLE. I've found that if I need it high, I go all the way up, thing bring it down about 2 inches & its back to just about perfect for Teddy & I;)

boborgera
09-28-2011, 08:48 AM

I had a 08 GS ,With an F1 windshield and side wind deflectors, When i took the deflectors off [summer]
The back draft stopped.

rafiki2cu
09-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Don't eat chili before you go for a ride??:roflblack: Sorry, had to!!! I have not really noticed any back wind. Riding solo or 2 up?

And I thought that odor was from a paper mill last night.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

No back draft of any kind here that I have noticed.

SpyderAnn01
09-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I agree with CyncySpyder don't ride with the windshield all the way up. For me I generally ride with it up about 1 to 1 1/2" from the lowest. If I put it all the way up I get back draft.

sinkhole
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Remove the side deflectors, or cut them down 2". I removed mine for the summer months and had no exhaust back draft at all... and it's much cooler. The problem is with them removed, in heavy rain you get a lot more water on your legs.

Bob Denman
09-28-2011, 10:18 AM
...And all of the good jokes were already taken! :gaah:
Actually I was riding yesterday and had an oncoming 18-wheeler REALLY setup a huge backdraft on me... :shocked: I lost no mph, but definitely got pushed forward by a noticeable amount.
Windshield was dropped about 3" front the highest position and I've laready swapped out the lower air deflectors to the 2011 configuration...:dontknow:

ARtraveler
09-28-2011, 11:15 AM
I usually ride with my windshield in a position where I can see over the top. Neither I or my passenger have noticed much backdraft. I know its there though because If you drive in the rain--the back side of the RTS gets filthy real fast.

I couldnt come up with any good jokes and keep it clean either Bob. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Sometimes It gets rough around here when the pranksters aren't in good form! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_72.gif

NancysToy
09-28-2011, 04:09 PM
2010 or 2011? The 2011 has less backdraft due to the smaller windshield and revised deflector angle. If you have a 2010, you could purchase the 2011 parts and cut the backdraft down considerably, but you will not eliminate it.

ARtraveler
09-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info Scotty. I do have a 2010--but I have learned to live with it.

Dudley
09-28-2011, 07:19 PM
This may sound crude, but you are riding an open vehicle. There will be wind any time you are moving. Chances are, when you "correct" one issue you don't like, another will take it's place. That's the fun of riding a motorcycle or Spyder or whatever you want to call it. It's THE WIND!

MarkLawson
09-28-2011, 07:45 PM
I sit very tall in the saddle & normally have the windshield @ it's highest position. This often results in a backdraft that pulls exhaust fumes into my area. When it becomes a problem (headache), I'll drop it down to get fresher air.

Some prefer the wind. I'm not one of them.

Bob Denman
09-29-2011, 06:51 AM
It's not really so much about the fact that there is wind out there on the roads; it's that once in a while it manifests itself in unepxpected ways...:shocked:

boborgera
09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
This may sound crude, but you are riding an open vehicle. There will be wind any time you are moving. Chances are, when you "correct" one issue you don't like, another will take it's place. That's the fun of riding a motorcycle or Spyder or whatever you want to call it. It's THE WIND!

Don't know if the wind was a problem for the original poster :dontknow: , But the wind was never a problem for me, Heck the first 15 years of my bike riding days
i didn't even have a windshield. My problem was with EXAUST back draft.

spyderbirds
09-30-2011, 10:01 PM
...And all of the good jokes were already taken! :gaah:
Actually I was riding yesterday and had an oncoming 18-wheeler REALLY setup a huge backdraft on me... :shocked: I lost no mph, but definitely got pushed forward by a noticeable amount.
Windshield was dropped about 3" front the highest position and I've laready swapped out the lower air deflectors to the 2011 configuration...:dontknow:

Bob, are these lower deflector you changed for the 2011 version the ones that screw on directly under the mirrors?

Bob Denman
10-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes... They DO move the airflow in a bit closer to the rider and passenger, but certainly not to the point of it being obtrusive. :thumbup:
Well.. that; and they're chrome...:shocked: