PDA

View Full Version : Giant City Lodge (MO and IL) SHORT NOTICE RYDE!

SteveMac
09-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Tomorrow, Saturday September 24 is going to be very nice. I had originally planned on a rYde to to Faran's event in Arkansas, but we just can't make that trip :(. Too much to do Saturday morning around the house.

So my wife, Connie, and I decided to make a shorter road trip to Giant City Lodge outside of Makanda IL on Saturday afternoon for some of their famous Fried Chicken. Link Here

(http://giantcitylodge.com/)Anyways, we are going even if it is solo, but would welcome anyone who wants to rYde along or meet us there. I am thinking that we will leave Cape Girardeau around noon. The rYde to Makanda is about an hour, and grab a late lunch there ((after the lunch rush)) at 1:00-1:30 or so, then after the meal, maybe rYde around the wine country a little bit. Open to any suggestions.

We will swing through the Rhodes 101 parking lot on the Cape Girardeau side of the Mississippi River before we head out, just in case someone decides to join us. And if any IL or MO riders further north want to meet us, we will be at the Lodge around 1:00-1:30.

SteveMac
09-23-2011, 05:27 PM
One bump.

chickenhoose
09-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Steve,
Leesa and i would love to meet you there, but we are in Seattle untill Oct 1st. Have a great time. When i get back i will pm you on where we will meet on the 14th to go to Ky lake. That is if you still want to ride eastern Shawnee.
Jerry

SteveMac
09-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Sounds good Jerry.
Be safe out there, and yes we will meet up with you for the KY lake ryde!

GloryRyders
09-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Steve, sounds like fun but Linda and I have a previous engagement..............don't eat to much chicken:D. See you in Branson!:2thumbs:

kentuckyguy
09-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Good morning Steve.. If you dont get any riders you should hop over to Paducah.. They are haveing the big BBQ on the river festival.. Lots of good eating.. We are rideing down about 12 today.. If you descide to come over give me a call so we can meet up.. Take care a be safe...

SteveMac
09-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Good morning Steve.. If you dont get any riders you should hop over to Paducah.. They are haveing the big BBQ on the river festival.. Lots of good eating.. We are rideing down about 12 today.. If you descide to come over give me a call so we can meet up.. Take care a be safe...

Hey bro
Just got in from mowing and weed whacking to get ready for the ride and just saw your message. Connie selected Giant City,, so to keep marital harmony,, I better not change at the last minute! The wineries may play a part in her decision, Since I get to be the DD!! Have fun in Paducah and we will see you in a few weeks!

SteveMac
09-24-2011, 08:15 PM
This was kind of last minute, and we didn't have anyone along with us :(
But, it was a great trip nonetheless.

Southern Illinois Wine country is really a nice area to rYde in. I recommend it.

And if you are close, stop in to eat the Fried Chicken at Giant City Lodge. Family style, all you can eat and they do it RIGHT.

Also visited Bald Knob Cross. This was recently restored in 2010, and has been around for probably 70 years or so. Pretty amazing place and the views are incredible. I think it is one of the highest, if not the highest. elevation in Illinois. History of the Cross here: Click (http://www.baldknobcross.com/history.html)

After visiting the Cross, we stopped in at Von Jacobs winery in Alto Pass for a sip, only a sip mind you.

Finally made our way home after a nice leisurely one tank rYde today.
What a blast.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my :spyder2:.

More Pics click here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1683)

33031 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1683)

mdr
09-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Giant City brings back lots of good memories. I earned a doctorate at Southern Illinois University (Go Salukis!), and to get away from the stress of the program spent countless hours hiking with my dog in Giant City. When my family visited for graduation, I took them to the Giant City Lodge to give them a real 'taste' of So. Ill. It's a really beautiful area.

Mr. White
09-25-2011, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=SteveMac;
So my wife, Connie, and I decided to make a shorter road trip to Giant City Lodge outside of Makanda IL on Saturday afternoon for some of their famous Fried Chicken.

Steve, you the others bring back many great memories of Southern Illinois. I was born and raised in Benton, IL. in 1932, went into the Air Force and only returned to visit my folks. After they passed, I have not made but a trip or two. Anyway, Makanda is a great memory....in November, the buzzards return to Makanda...hundreds stop there on their way south. It is worth the trip to see. I do not know when in Nov. Giant City is a great place....been there lots of times, many years ago and walked a lot of it....I rode a lot of miles in So. IL on my BSA years ago. Many good memories. Thanks.

:spyder2:

SteveMac
09-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I was a great day George. Glad to share it with you!!

farmerjim
09-25-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't remember if I'd told you, but the HOPE side of that Cross is where I proposed to my lovely wife. Steve Agee told Lu that she should have drug me around to the Charity side before she said yes. We, too, have wonderful memories and the pictures of the renewed Cross have us wanting to get back up there. Of course, you know where I was when you were tooling around S. Illinois. One hint.......(Buchheits), haveing the time of my life..... actually, it wasn't a bad day, just wish we could have tagged along with you guys. Thanks for the Pics, my friend. See ya soon.

Jim Dumey
farmerjim

SteveMac
09-25-2011, 04:12 PM
I didn't know that Jim.
Ironic how it works out sometimes!
Glad you liked the pics.

chickenhoose
09-25-2011, 07:23 PM
George,
I live only 20 miles from Benton and travel there all the time. If you ever need anything from there [info] let me know.

Mr. White
09-26-2011, 08:40 AM
George,
I live only 20 miles from Benton and travel there all the time. If you ever need anything from there [info] let me know.

Thank you. I have been to your beautiful town many times, years ago. Went back for my 40th highschool reunion in 1990, and went back once after that. No folks there anymore, so no real reason to go. I used to love to ride south of you, Colconda and the river area...nice roads...