PDA

View Full Version : RTS Purchase Question?

vendit
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I currently have a 2008 Spyder GS that runs great! However, I have been thinking about moving up to an RT-S. My question/ concern is this:

Is the semi auto more prone to problems that the manual trans? What has your experience been?

I think I would prefer staying with a manual trans, however the dealer is having trouble finding any 2011 RT-S SM5 units left. He has a couple RT-S auto's left. Not sure what to do.

Also, what do you find would be a fair price to pay for a 2011 RT-S manual and a RT-S semi auto?
Not sure if dealers are working off list or able to discount and still make a margin, etc.

Thanks for any help and suggestions that any of you may have!

Mike

SpyderDen
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Don't pay LIST!:lecturef_smilie: You should be able to negotiate at least $2500-3000 off list on the 2011 models.

vendit
09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I typically DO NOT pay list, however when these first came out, nobody was dealing below list. I was curious what an average discount was, and I also understand there is an additional $1000 off right now until the end of September, as an incentive to move out the 2011's.

ARtraveler
09-19-2011, 04:08 PM
I did just what you are contemplating. I traded my 2008 GS Manual for a 2010 RTS with SE5.

I have over 20,000 miles on the Semi Auto--with NO problems whatsoever. I know of no problems on several SE5's up here.

I have not missed the SM5 at all. The Semi Auto is a blast to drive.

When I need a manual fix--I just hop on my Vulcan.

RE: pricing--yes, there should be some negotition to the price on a 2011--but remember--the dealer has to make a fair profit to stay in business and provide after the sale service.

Good luck in your hunt and price negotiation.

I second Spyderden in post #6 :agree:

boyallie
09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I have a 2008 GS SM5. I have spent lots of time on this board reading horror stories with the semi automatic. I'm sure most will say it's a small sample out of a large number of bikes. Personally, I would search far and wide for a manual.

SpyderDen
09-19-2011, 04:42 PM
I have spent lots of time on this board reading horror stories with the semi automatic. I'm sure most will say it's a small sample out of a large number of bikes. Personally, I would search far and wide for a manual....

Really? I see you have been a forum member for all of two weeks!
There are lots of longtime forum members that I would rather trust for info. Many that have owned both models. Just sayin' :dontknow:
And i love my SE5 :spyder:with no issues to date.

Extracool
09-19-2011, 04:44 PM
We bought a 2008SE5 new, just sold and ordered a 2012 RTS semi auto, never had any problems with the semi auto, only way to go as far as we are concerned, to each his own. Have a panic stop and you are sitting there in 1st gear, ready to go instead of ending up stopped in 5 th gear. If you like shifting, always use the thumb shifter instead of letting the RPM s doing the shifting. Hate inching forward in slow traffic having to continually using the hand clutch. With the SE5 you do not loose the RPM s because you do not let off of the throttle to shift as you do with the SM5. Either is good as long as you are riding a Spyder.:clap:

can-am sam
09-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Take a Spyder with the SE5 trans for a demo drive and then make your choice on which trans to get. The SE5 shifts faster and smoother if the engine rpms are above 4000rpm. I do not think you will regret buying the Spyder with the SE5 tranny.

Rando
09-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Having owned both, SE5 hands down! My next Spyder will be when they release the FA5, Full Automatic!

Pennyrick
09-19-2011, 09:11 PM
I drive a RT-SM and my wife drives an RT-SE and we love them both. No problems with either and the SE has 15,000 miles on it.

I bought the SM because I wanted timeless black and the only one in stock was a manual. I didn't want to wait.

Remember this is not an automatic... it is a semi auto. You can control the engine speed.

I would recommend the semi auto.

NancysToy
09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
As you can see, there are lots of fans of the SE. There are plenty of satisfied SM owners, too. What this boils down to is your comfort level. I agree that you should take a demo ride before you decide. If you enjoy it, and do not have strong negative feelings or doubts, go for it if you can afford it. If it still is a question in your mind, or you feel you would miss your clutch, I would look around a while longer, or wait for the 2012s. A seed of doubt grows into a big tree of doubt as time goes on.

vendit
09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
As you can see, there are lots of fans of the SE. There are plenty of satisfied SM owners, too. What this boils down to is your comfort level. I agree that you should take a demo ride before you decide. If you enjoy it, and do not have strong negative feelings or doubts, go for it if you can afford it. If it still is a question in your mind, or you feel you would miss your clutch, I would look around a while longer, or wait for the 2012s. A seed of doubt grows into a big tree of doubt as time goes on.

I did test ride the SE5 this weekend. I just am not sure if I like it as well as the SM5. I know I would get used to it, just concerned about whether or not there are more problems potentially with the SE5.

I do like your quote Scotty!!

:D

GloryRyders
09-19-2011, 09:50 PM
I had a 2009 SE5 with 11K+ miles with no problems and traded it in on the 2011 RT Limited SE5.............still no problems:2thumbs:. It just depends on what you like best and your comfort levels. Personally, I would go for it!

SteveMac
09-19-2011, 10:08 PM
I love my SM5 RT, but when I do trade next time, I will probably go with the SE5. Simply because I have been caught in stop-n-go traffic before and everytime, I think to myself, "Boy that SE5 would sure be nice about now....!" ;). Plus, with the SE5, I could keep my feet up on the boards most of the time!

boyallie
09-19-2011, 10:29 PM
SpyderDen..thanks for the warm welcome! I've been reading posts on this site for a few months now....and base my OPINION on what I've read. I signed up in order to post a few weeks ago. It's possible I could have missed it...but I've never seen any posts regarding folks not being able to shift gears with their manual. However, I've read about too many folks limping home or being towed due to the auto failing in some way. I'm not saying that anyone is stupid because they get a manual or an auto. I ride a GL1800 and the Spyder I purchased and any future Spyder will be for my wife. We were BOTH more comfy (my wife has a motorcycle license and drives a manual transmission truck) with the basic reliability of the manual. Because of my wife's small size she is most comfortable on three wheels and enjoys her 2008 RS. We are now looking at upgrading her to an RT-S...but we will stick with the manual. I guess that's why they make both. I purchased Mad Matt's Kewlmetal Spyder RS for my 'boss' and enjoyed riding it from Prescott, AZ to Philadelphia in 4 and a half days. It was a blast!!

vendit
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Having owned both, SE5 hands down! My next Spyder will be when they release the FA5, Full Automatic!

What dealer did you purchase your Spyder from?

SilverSurfer
09-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Proud owner of 2010 RT-S/SE5. I paid retail in January of that year because as another noted, dealers weren't negotiating on th RT-S in its first year. There was one recall issued in 2010 for the SE5 transmission. I had it applied, even though I've never had a significant problem with mine. My experience thus far, coming up to 12Kmiles, has been worth every penny, plus every mod I've invested in the machine.

We have 6% sales tax in MD, so anyway you slice it on an MSRP $27,999 machine ... add the $1,200.00 GPS option and beyond, you're gonna punch through the $30K barrier. Add the CB ... another $K after installation. I also have an $800.00 LoJack system on mine. Ahh ... sweet masochism. Since I've had the Spyder ... an $1,100.00 Corbin R/T seat, Elka front shocks plus install ($1,000.00), ESICycle lighting ($600.00) ... a widget here and there; some BRP add-ons. This fall, I'm adding Elka's rear shock. Another $K. Gosh ... now I'm up to about $35,000.00 that I've put into purchase and ownership of my RT-S. Gee, if I could dicker now on what I paid for in 2010, I would only have spent ... umm $33,000.00 (Does that sound significant at the >$30K level? Oh, and btw ... I most certainly do dicker on parts and accessories).

BUT ....

Owning a Spyder is like owning a boat; an airplane, a sportscar ... or gee ... a really really nice motorcycle. I've been to Spyder events and met many ryders in my two years of experience with this machine. None of the conversations have included "thrifty."

It's your baby ... your money pit. You concluded you can afford to buy, insure, fuel and ryde one ... Enjoy.

Dragonrider
09-20-2011, 08:48 AM
My 2010 RT S SE5 is approaching 10k, with nary a hiccup from the transmission. I've owned both, and prefer the SE - for all the stated reasons.

However, if you still have a two wheeler in the stable, you might prefer the SM, and add a ISCI hand brake, making the transition between bikes smoother...

Mr. White
09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
I have the SE5 and love it. I have manual on my Motor Trike and love it. What else can I say?

:spyder2:

daveinva
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
I just started having some, ummmm, peculiarities with my RS SE5... but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. If I want to shift a manual, I'll drive my car!

Spyder auto all the way :thumbup:

vendit
09-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback!
I actually struck a deal with a dealer to trade in my 2008 GS for a new RTS, told him I would sleep on it, and let him know the next day. I called to tell him I would take the deal, and the dealer tells me that they don't have any money to buy my trade-in!
REALLY? Your kidding! They have a chance to get rid of a 2011 before the 2012's come in, AND he doesn't have to pay interest on the new one until spring, and he tells me they don't have any money to buy my trade-in!

Now I have to start all over trying to find a 2011, which there are hardly any left out there!!

Needless to say....I am not a happy camper tonight!

MMcc
09-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Call Jamie Koch at Caswell Cycle in Mora Minnesota. Last time I was there 1 week ago they had 2 beautiful RT-S in stock. Jamie is always willing to deal. Your ride over on your RS and ride home on your RT. Good luck.

fireplug98
09-23-2011, 10:17 AM
I just bought my RTS SE5 two weeks ago from Tousley Motorsports in White Bear Lake, MN.
They had 2 still in crates and a couple on the showfloor and 2 demos.
If you go there, ask for JohnnyO. - he treated me great and gave me a super deal on a new one still in the crate.
Tell him Tommy Jensen sent ya.
Good Luck on you search & purchase !!!

Tommy J.

Pandy
09-23-2011, 04:17 PM
We have now >13K miles on our RTS SE5. Not even a suggestion of a hiccup from the gearbox. Shifts smooth, once the short learning curve is mastered to find the sweet spot where there is no noticable thunk whilst changing gears. Something I do notice, it's a lot like my Wings, you knew by shifting, not mileage when you need an oil change.But, as long as the maintenance schedule is observed, I wouldn't forsee any major problems.

Patrick