PDA

View Full Version : Dealer review: Trumbull Motorsports (Mechanicsville, MD)

daveinva
09-17-2011, 02:15 PM
After trying in frustration to *easily* install my Rivco Spyder RS floorboards and highway pegs myself, I abandoned that plan and took them in to a dealer out in Mechanicsville, MD, Trumbull Motorsports.

http://www.trumbullmotorsports.com/

Trumbull is a new (newly relocated?) dealer that is BRP only: Spyders, Sea-Doos, ATVs, etc.

They hold the distinction of being the dealer that called me back about the install (versus my local dealer, Coleman Falls Church, which ignored *two* service requests for this... I've been happy with Coleman's work so far, but I'm growing convinced that they're NOT aftermarket mod friendly, they just don't want to deal with the headache).

Thankfully, Trumbull called me back.

The pros:
1. "While you wait" service: I managed to schedule my service, something the far-busier Coleman understandably doesn't do. I got an appointment for five hours to install everything I brought with me, and they managed to finish in four. *Three* hours would have been nice, but the service tech, Jamie, had never installed the Rivco boards before-- he did complain that the instructions weren't the best, but he didn't specify what tripped him up (he had previously installed the Kewlmetal pegs before, and he liked installing these much more; again, I don't know what the differences were, just taking his word for it).
2. Trumbull was pretty sleepy-- the garage is only about four or five bikes big, and they only had two techs working yesterday. Again, the appointment service was nice, the tech managed to call me in a couple of times to talk me through a few options for things. +1 for personal service :thumbup:.
3. The management couldn't have been nicer to deal with, they walked me through some options, discussed the prices openly, and acknowledged what they were experienced with, and what would be new with my installs, i.e. where they *might* run into trouble.

The cons:
1. The location. Mechanicsville is out waaay past Waldorf. If you're out near there, it's not bad; if you live in Northern Virginia like I do, it's a hike to get there down MD 5.
2. Did I mention the location? There's nothing there. Not just near the dealer, but *at* the dealer: they have no waiting area, no chairs or couches, nothing. I actually ended up strolling down a four-lane highway to grab some Gatorade at a Wawa, then returning to camp out in their parking lot, sitting on the asphalt up against a bunch of yellow Sea-Doo crates with a book for the next four hours. Not the ideal experience.
3. The price. Unfortunately, although they're far outside of Washington, Trumbull still charges Washington labor rates: $93 an hour :shocked:. I think next time I do something like this, I'll finally take the advice and ride out further to Talbot in Easton to take advantage of that $75/hour rate.
4. Attention to detail. The floorboards and pegs went on fine. The Powerlets, however, ummmm... didn't. I used the PKT-056 dual outlet set (the one for the Goldwing), the tech quickly installed them. He stated that they usually install two separate outlets, one each on either side of the black console flanking the Y panel, so this was the first time installing them in the dash underneath the gauges (which is actually the ONLY place you *can* install the PKT-056 set-- the wire connecting both of them isn't long enough to span the Y panel, they need to go under the gauges).

Unfortunately, the outlets aren't symmetrical-- one on the left is lower than the one on the right. They look like "Sloth" from The Goonies. :joke: I don't understand WHY they were drilled like that, but whatever; I'm not one for aesthetics, I just want them to work, and work they do.

Bottom line: Not a bad dealer to use for light service work, the appointment service is a nice perk. Service was good enough, but not perfect. Labor price was identical to that charged by closer (to me) dealers.

Safe riding! :doorag:

Riker
09-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Dave,

Granted I am a bit in MD, but have a great dealer .... Motorsports...Hanover, PA. I know it is a hike, but so far I am very happy with their service and willing to help in any way...

We should hook up sometime ... Would love to tour through DC sometime around the monuments and such....

Riker