PDA

View Full Version : I am paranoid about stopping!

bruisersbaby
09-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi! I've had my learner's permit for almost a month now, and am really trying to get the hang of driving. Hubby has been great in trying to teach me, but I'm still so paranoid about not being able to stop. Does anyone else have this problem? We have an RTS and I really like to drive it, and wish I could get over this fear. I have never driven any type of motorcyle in my life, so all of this is completely new to me. I'll be taking the motorcycle safety course the end of the month, also. If you have any suggestions on how I can get over this fear, I would sure appreciate it. :banghead:

warp10
09-13-2011, 09:26 PM
well just let off the throttle and step down hard on the brake, the spyder will stop fast. practice jumping on the brake and get comfortable with the fact that you will stop. practice stepping on the brake and adding more pressure to see how fast you can stop.

Dentin028
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Don't worry. You will get it!!! I learned to ryde with hubby's RT and ended up getting me an RSS:ohyea:
I took the MSF course and learned a lot!! However I freaked out while taking the test.. Long story short I went to a empty parking lot and did all the excercises that are on the spyder's manual and some more that I remembered from the course. I was in no time turning and twisting and braking fast. Just take it easy and you will get used to it. I think an empty parking lot is the best!! Get you the little cones, are worth every penny and not expensive. Practice, practice, practice... you will be hitting the road in no time. I went to the DMV and took the license on the RT in a snap.

Hope it helps!!

Questions
09-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Don't worry. You will get it!!! I learned to ryde with hubby's RT and ended up getting me an RSS:ohyea:
I took the MSF course and learned a lot!! However I freaked out while taking the test.. Long story short I went to a empty parking lot and did all the excercises that are on the spyder's manual and some more that I remembered from the course. I was in no time turning and twisting and braking fast. Just take it easy and you will get used to it. I think an empty parking lot is the best!! Get you the little cones, are worth every penny and not expensive. Practice, practice, practice... you will be hitting the road in no time. I went to the DMV and took the license on the RT in a snap.

Hope it helps!! I agree..The more saddle time the better..Best thing ever is go to a big empty lot and just keep stopping and starting until you no longer have to think about it.Muscle memory is what they will teach you in the MSF course. So just keep doing it until you feel no fear..Don't get discouraged, it will come to 2nd nature before you know it...

Gail

GASpyderLady
09-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi! I've had my learner's permit for almost a month now, and am really trying to get the hang of driving. Hubby has been great in trying to teach me, but I'm still so paranoid about not being able to stop. Does anyone else have this problem? We have an RTS and I really like to drive it, and wish I could get over this fear. I have never driven any type of motorcyle in my life, so all of this is completely new to me. I'll be taking the motorcycle safety course the end of the month, also. If you have any suggestions on how I can get over this fear, I would sure appreciate it. :banghead:

The suggestions above are right on Target . Parking lot practice , seat time , and very impressed with the MSF course (or other in seat class) . My next suggestion is expensive but wonderful. My RTS has the added right hand brake. It operates WITH the foot brake - I have had knee surgeries and do not.have complete trust in my kneee's power.

Mainly go with a class and practice time.

SpyderAnn01
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Is your fear that the brakes won't stop it in time? They really stop a lot like a car. Do you have a manual or semi-auto? I've always driven cars with stick shifts so I didn't have a hard time with downshifting and all but if you haven't had that experience I can see where you may be overwhelmed with downshifting and stopping. Don't overthink things too much. I find that when I'm stopped on a hill if I think too much about rolling backwards then I probably will do just that. So instead I tell myself "don't think about it - just do it". Practice, practice and more practice is the best way to overcome your fear. Good luck.

Yazz
09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Your RTS has basically the same all wheel breaking system as your car. So the same things are happening when you put the brakes on your car as the RTS. Very smooth deceleration, in a straight line, just like your car.

Everybody gave you another good piece of advice - practice. Also, taking the safety motorcycle course will boost your confidence and teach you all sorts of great safety tips.

kytten
09-14-2011, 09:16 PM
My bf crashed my RS into the side of a building within a few months of me buying it. He was trying to park and realized he was going into the spot too quickly. He hit the brake, but also pulled back on the handlebars (instinctively, I guess) and he accelerated enough to hit the wall despite the brakes. I watched it happen and was scared spitless.

I promise I didn't tell you that to scare you, just to give you a visual. Since seeing that, I've been very conscious of the act of letting go of the throttle or twisting it forward when I brake.

As everyone else has said, practice is the best thing you can do. But, for me, the focus on the physical actions helped me to assure myself that I was doing it correctly and that the motorcycle was responding correctly to my actions. If that's not something that you think would help you, experiment until you find something that you find reassuring.

Hope that helps. .:)

AKspydergirl
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Practice the quick stops. I did not realize how fast the spyder would stop until I came to a yellow light - looked in the rear view mirror and nobody was behind me so I down shifted and stopped - it's pretty impressive how fast and the short distance it can do it in....

I agree with the parking lot practice - remember who is in control - OK going to say an old saying

"ryde it like you own it" - which you do!

Bob Denman
09-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Hi Ladies...
Sorry for butting in... but they DO stop pretty darn well in an emergency situation. I was in traffic yesterday (48mph...) and the fellow in front of me ALL OF THE SUDDEN :shocked: decided to turn left in traffic.
Next thing i know I'm jumping on the pedal and the Spyder is squatting down and stopped! No sliding, swerving, swearing or spitting! No fuss and no muss...
So don't be afraid of the pedal; but don't "ride it" either, or you'll give the onboard computers a case of the fits! :gaah:

I'll leave now...:dontknow:

spyderdreamer
09-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Just like my Mama would say practice makes perfect!:pray: Find an empty parking lot so you can go at different speeds I did that on my 2 wheels it help a lot! It made me remember when I got my driving permit at 15 and that was where my Dad took me! But I can say that my RTS does stop fast did not want my picture taken for running the red lights! :ohyea:

bruisersbaby
09-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Is your fear that the brakes won't stop it in time? They really stop a lot like a car. Do you have a manual or semi-auto? I've always driven cars with stick shifts so I didn't have a hard time with downshifting and all but if you haven't had that experience I can see where you may be overwhelmed with downshifting and stopping. Don't overthink things too much. I find that when I'm stopped on a hill if I think too much about rolling backwards then I probably will do just that. So instead I tell myself "don't think about it - just do it". Practice, practice and more practice is the best way to overcome your fear. Good luck.

Thanks for all of your advice and information. I've never driven any type of motorcycle in my life, so this is entirely new to me. We have a manual, but I have driven stick shifts before, so understand the idea with the clutch, accelerator and brake. That has helped me some. Living where we do, I would have to drive the highway to get to a half-way decent sized parking lot, so I'll have to use the back roads that are near us. Yes, we live in a somewhat rural area. I know the biggest thing is to continue to practice.

Thanks again for all the advice and support!!

SpydherLuv
09-16-2011, 10:25 PM
The difference between braking in a car and braking on the RT is that you remove your foot from the accelerator in a car (hopefully), but on the RT you have to remember to roll OFF of the throttle - no matter if you downshift or not. Keep in mind while braking "roll off the throttle, roll off the throttle...". The MSF course I took several years ago taught me not to place my hand too high on the throttle (knuckles facing forward), but rather to grip the throttle with my knuckles slightly towards me with wrist bent upwards. This grip allows you to accelerate and also to deccelerate much easier if you need to stop quickly. If your wrists are too high, it will cause you to roll on the throttle instead of rolling off of it in an emergency situation.
Keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it!:thumbup:

bruisersbaby
09-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks to all of you for the help and support!! ;)

ruthie
09-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Bruiserbaby, I think MSF offer a Trike course, check with them to see if you can take it with the Spyder. Gold Wing Road Rider Association (GWRRA) offer a Trike course that allow the Spyders. I took it back in July and learned a lot. Click on this link http://www.gwrranc.org/ to find out about a GWRRA chapter near you and ask about the next Trike course. This is a very low cost course. NC GWRRA district is having a rally Western Agricultural Center in Fletcher, NC, September 22-24. Looking at the web site, it look like it will be offering a Trike course there. If interested contact the District Educator to see
the claas is full yet. Tom Fitzgerald, tomfitz@triadbiz.rr.com, (336) 992-3089

bruisersbaby
09-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi! Just wanted to let you know I'm no longer on Facebook. Didn't like the changes and too many privacy issues, so will be here more often. Take care!

lawawuu
11-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks to all of you for the help and support!! ;)

I'm also from NC. I also had never driven a motorcycle before. My first Spyder was a semi-automatic RS. Was leery at first but, yes, practice is what it takes. I now have a semi-automatic RT. This one is much smoother and easier to ride, but still even after I had driven the RS for a couple of years, the RT still took some practice...was a whole new beast! Wouldn't trade it for the world. Good luck with your driving. Maybe we'll cross paths one day!!:D

Love2Ride
11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Time in the saddle. :) And country roads if you've got 'em.

bruisersbaby
11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Hi! Just wanted to let you know I'm no longer on Facebook. Didn't like the changes and too many privacy issues, so will be here more often. Take care!I'

Well, as most of you know, I'm still on Facebook!! I had my first experience on the highway and roads with a bit more traffic this past weekend. The community college where I took my MS course is hoping to offer a trike course in the Spring. I'm excited about that!

Great information and advice from all of you!! This is a great group and thanks!

bruisersbaby
11-16-2011, 09:12 AM
I did have my first experience on the highway this past weekend. Hubby rode his Vulcan and I followed on the Spyder. Didn't have any problem with stopping, etc. Just have to get the feel of making turns, etc. I didn't stall, either, so there is progress here! I get out on it when I can, and like you've all said, the more seat time the better! :ani29:

dilyles
11-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Have faith in your signutare quote: With God, all things are possible. This is possible and you will be crusing around on your Sypder by yourself before you know it. The more you ryde the better you will feel. I actually had the nerve to race some young guy on his HD this weekend. Nothing major just a stop light to stop light race but after leaving him behind from two stop lights he stopped trying to race. LOL BTW the breaks worked great stopping me between lights.

bruisersbaby
11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks, Dilyles. I think for right now I'll probably just 'race' in our SS :D Hoping to get some more seat time in soon, weather permitting. Yes, I take my quote very seriously, as I know all is possible through Him. God bless and have a great day!

SpyderLady
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
How about an update on how you are doing. Hopefully things are better for you by now! Please let us know.

bruisersbaby
02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
How about an update on how you are doing. Hopefully things are better for you by now! Please let us know.

Thanks SpyderLady! I am doing a lot better, been getting more practice and actually rode today. I'm trying to get more highway time and rode to a restaurant, about 10 miles from home, all highway, and returned home the same way. No big problems, only stalled once but got going again with no problems, and enjoyed the ryde. With this crazy weather here in NC, have to get out while it's half-way decent. Was a beautiful, 63 degree day here, and expecting snow and rain coming in on Saturday and Sunday! Thanks again for the help and support!!

SpydeRider2010
02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
if you've never ridden before, and just learned on a Spyder...;
you're one up on most crossover riders. you don't have two-wheel
habits to put behind you; and you'll learn the habits of how to ride
the bike you're going to be on.

much of it will come from what's known as "muscle memory". after
a while of riding the Spyder... it'll become instinctive; and you'll
do fine. my Wife had never ridden and I taught her on our RTS; and
she's done well. after two hip replacements, she's also more
comfortable on our trike, than she was on my two wheelers. so just
get all the saddle time you can and you'll be racking up some miles.

bruisersbaby
02-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks, George. No, I had never ridden before, and am much more comfortable on the Spyder. I really am trying to get more seat time and hope there will be a trike MS course in the spring. Thanks for the encouragement and kudos to your wife as well.

CMA Cowboy
02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Just a suggestion for you on a ride group that might be in your area. The Chrisitan Motorcyclists Association welcomes all types of bikes and are a great group to learn riding techniques from. There may be a chapter in your area and you do not have to belong to the association to participate with them. Keep riding and enjoy the countryside the Lord has made.

bruisersbaby
02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks, CMA Cowboy. We have ridden with the Christian motorcyclists before and they are a good group of people. Bruiser (my husband) is with the Guardian Brotherhood Riding Club, which is active and retired military and are very good at helping me, too. I appreciate it and God bless!

Leslee
02-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Our GWRRA chapter in Cary, NC is having a Parking Lot Practice (PLP) course on April 7 and will have an afternoon session for trikes. I did it last summer the day after I got my Spyder. If you or anyone else is interested, let me know. Spyders have been specifically invited since our chapter leaders are trained PLP instructors. i'll be happy to take it with you.