PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage

Fonz
09-13-2011, 12:48 PM
How can I determine gas mileage on my RT Ltd.

granpa in Cincy
09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Miles driven divided by gallons to fill it up = MPG.

Fill tank full and reset mileage indicator to zero.

Drive 125 or 130 miles. Refile tank. Record miles driven. Record gallons to fillerup. Divide miles driven by gallons to fill = MPG. ;)

ARtraveler
09-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Filling to the same level each time will give you an accurate average mpg.

I have been keeping tabs from day 1 and find I average 30-31 MPG.

My best was 35.

A lot of factors are involved--trailer or not, passengers or not, weather, wind, hills or level, windsheild up/down, straight highway mileage, hills and lots of gear shifts---etc. etc.

It appears that 30ish is what most people get.

SpydherLuv
09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Or you can use http://www.fuelly.com where you enter all of your fillup information and it will give you your fuel mileage, average price per gallon, plus more. You may have seen where some members have this as part of their signature.

boborgera
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=Newsuan;372416]How can I determine gas mileage on my RT Ltd
/QUOTE]

Divide miles by gallons, But i think you'll find it's pretty hard to fill the Spyders tank with the same amount of gas each time.
So you'll be better off averaging 3 or 4 fill ups :thumbup:

JCSMOKE
09-13-2011, 04:37 PM
not completely connected to this but my mpg has gone way up since the throtle body update on saturday, oil change may have helped. get gas light came on around 125 miles before and this last time I sweated 185 miles on a tank. I highly encourage you to get the update.

NancysToy
09-13-2011, 05:09 PM
not completely connected to this but my mpg has gone way up since the throtle body update on saturday, oil change may have helped. get gas light came on around 125 miles before and this last time I sweated 185 miles on a tank. I highly encourage you to get the update.
I thought I was nuts when I noticed improved mileage after my new throttle body and the throttle body update. My cruise control is also much more responsive now. I'm glad someone else noticed the improvement. :thumbup:

Mr. White
09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
If you use your odometer to compute your mileage, be advised that many are off 1.5-2%. Use a GPS for true accuracy. As said earlier, do four or five fills to get a good average. One tank at slow, city speeds vs. one at Interstate speeds + will give much different figures. Apples to apples....as they say.

:spyder2:

MarkLawson
09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
If you use your odometer to compute your mileage, be advised that many are off 1.5-2%. Use a GPS for true accuracy. As said earlier, do four or five fills to get a good average. One tank at slow, city speeds vs. one at Interstate speeds + will give much different figures. Apples to apples....as they say.

:spyder2:

George, my RT odometer is normally within 0.2 miles of the GPS odometer after 100 miles. I've been very impressed with it's accuracy so far, and I'm on my third instrument cluster!

dancogan
09-14-2011, 06:35 AM
While I rely heavily on my GPS (it found a BRP dealer in Kalispell, MT when my Spyder needed help), I would not trust it to be accurate at measuring distance. This may not be a problem where BR1 lives, but up here in Michigan the GPS can loose satellite contact when in heavy cover, such as a road with tree cover. I'll notice from time to time that the speed on my GPS remains frozen for a period of time, then comes to life when I emerge from the trees. It just occurs from time to time. I would rather rely upon the odometer in the Spyder.

NancysToy
09-14-2011, 07:29 AM
While I rely heavily on my GPS (it found a BRP dealer in Kalispell, MT when my Spyder needed help), I would not trust it to be accurate at measuring distance. This may not be a problem where BR1 lives, but up here in Michigan the GPS can loose satellite contact when in heavy cover, such as a road with tree cover. I'll notice from time to time that the speed on my GPS remains frozen for a period of time, then comes to life when I emerge from the trees. It just occurs from time to time. I would rather rely upon the odometer in the Spyder.
True! I have seen the GPS record different mileages for the same route on different occasions, under certain conditions. A GPS also does not measure (or record speed) accurately on steep hills, as it measures "as-the-crow-flies" rather than actual ground distance.

I don't really understand the reason for calculating mileage using the GPS, since most folks pay attention to the odometer or trip meter to determine when to stop for gas and how far they have travelled. This is not a mileage contest, where strict accuracy is important, our mileage figures are just a planning tool.