PDA

View Full Version : That's frustrating. (ESI Fender Tips)

daveinva
09-12-2011, 10:22 AM
So I went to take a ride yesterday morning, do my pre-ride check, and discover that my left wheel fender tip and Brightside lights are out.

I wasn't *too* surprised-- I thought I had a short there a couple weeks back, I was getting "fast blinking" from time to time, but it was intermittent, and it still worked (and a fast blinking turn signal is still a turn signal :thumbup:).

Alas, I was ignoring a real problem: the red/yellow/black connectors (see on the lower left of the image) have a red and black wire going out of it. On my left wheel, the black wire was broken clean through. I had the wires zip-tied properly on the A-arm (or so I thought), but obviously, there was enough stress going on there that the wire broke through. Oh well.

Anyway, I ordered another pair from ESI; I'll swap out this one, and have a spare in case it ever happens again. I'm going to figure out a better way to zip-tie these things onto the frame to keep the stress at zero.

Oh well... it's only money, right?? :roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Sorry to hear that "fixing" took the place of "riding" for a while...:gaah: At least it appears to be a simple one to deal with! :thumbup:

daveinva
09-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Sorry to hear that "fixing" took the place of "riding" for a while...:gaah: At least it appears to be a simple one to deal with! :thumbup:

Yup, with any luck, just hope the replacement part gets here quickly... this coming weekend is supposed to be 69 and sunny here in the D.C. area, the first perfect riding weekend in MONTHS, I'd hate to miss it!

(Actually, I wouldn't miss it-- I still have the turn signal on the mirror working... but I really hate going riding with anything less than perfect when it comes to all my safety lighting).

M109Dreamer
09-12-2011, 02:12 PM
I zipped tied ours to the bracket and the stock plug that it goes with. 3 zip ties in all. 1 from the new plug around the bracket. Then held the new plug up near the stock plug and ran 2 ties one on each side of the plug. Hope that helps. If the extra wiring is getting in the way or braking from the vibration, take the exceass and tighten and or loosen the excess and zip tied the excess to the stock wiring out of the way. Hope this makes since and helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk