PDA

View Full Version : Limp Mode and DPS Fault

retiredsquid
09-05-2011, 09:23 PM
We have a 2011 RT SE-5 Limited. Current mileage is 5,100 miles. No problem at all from day one.

Today we decided to take a nice ride to Branson, MO as we enjoy going over at least once a month. On the way home we were about 30 miles away from home. We were just coming down a hill, across the Kings River and all of a sudden the LCD display stated Limp Mode and then the Spyder began to run very rough and settled down enough to get a half mile until we could find a place to safely get off of the road. Sure enough, 3,800 RPM was the best it would do. There was a flashing display and lights on the dash.

Got off of the road and parked. I shut the power down and waited a minute and turned on the key and everything was normal. We road home without incident.

Thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

We are planning a trip to the Lake of the Ozarks in two weeks.

NancysToy
09-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Without knowing what lights and messages were displayed, and without your having called up any active fault codes, it would be impossible to even venture a guess. Your dealer can hook it up to BUDS to check the stored fault codes, and maybe shed some light on things.

Lamonster
09-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Had the exact same thing happen to me coming down a hill in the middle of the desert on my cross country trip, made it under a bridge and made a phone call and by time I got a tech on the line it had cleared it self. I have not had the problem since. Never did figure out what it was. :dontknow:

GloryRyders
09-06-2011, 05:27 AM
I also had the same problem on the new RT at about 200 miles :(..............shut it off and waited about 10 minuets, started it up and it was cleared. Rode about 15 minuets more and back it came:yikes:. Did the same routine and it was cleared again but again came back in a couple of miles. Next day I took it in to my dealer (Cowtown) and they checked it out on the BUDS and found that four of the computers were "out of sync". They put everything "back in sync" and I am now at about 1500 miles of trobule free ryding:clap:. Morale of the story:lecturef_smilie: , don't be surprised if it come back to haunt you, just have the dealer check it out and it will be fine! ENJOY THE RYDE!:D

retiredsquid
09-06-2011, 09:39 AM
I just spoke with the service manager at Bradford Marine and he said to get it in for his tech to hook up the computer and see what's going on with it. I'd rather be safe than sorry since we have a trip planned for a couple weeks from now to the Lake of the Ozarks.

retiredsquid
09-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Without knowing what lights and messages were displayed, and without your having called up any active fault codes, it would be impossible to even venture a guess. Your dealer can hook it up to BUDS to check the stored fault codes, and maybe shed some light on things.

I have no idea how to call up fault codes on the thing and the small lights couldn't be clearly seen by me with the sun as bright as it was.

NancysToy
09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I have no idea how to call up fault codes on the thing and the small lights couldn't be clearly seen by me with the sun as bright as it was.
I understand. It is not always possible to have that info. Without it, though, there are way too many possibilities. That is why the dealer and BUDS is your best bet. To call up the codes on an RT, press "Mode" and "Set" at the same time, and while holding them down press the turn signal cancel. A numerical code(s) will appear on the display if any codes are still active.

retiredsquid
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I understand. It is not always possible to have that info. Without it, though, there are way too many possibilities. That is why the dealer and BUDS is your best bet. To call up the codes on an RT, press "Mode" and "Set" at the same time, and while holding them down press the turn signal cancel. A numerical code(s) will appear on the display if any codes are still active.

Thanks for that info.

I just got home with the Spyder. They hooked up the BUDS and checked everything out. They also performed the Warranty Campaign 2011-7 and 2011-9 stuff. New grommets on the tupperware and the Parking brake upgrade. They also found that the rear suspension pump had never been turned on.

The reason for the DPS fault putting the machine into limp mode was to the best of our knowledge caused as a result of coming off the hill which has a very long and odd angled steady curve caused the fault due to the front tires going at something like an added 3 degree angle for an extended time and the sensors saw it as an error. It came on almost immediately upon straightening out at the bottom. Makes sense to me, because it is a very long curve and not a normal one at that.

NancysToy
09-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for that info.

I just got home with the Spyder. They hooked up the BUDS and checked everything out. They also performed the Warranty Campaign 2011-7 and 2011-9 stuff. New grommets on the tupperware and the Parking brake upgrade. They also found that the rear suspension pump had never been turned on.

The reason for the DPS fault putting the machine into limp mode was to the best of our knowledge caused as a result of coming off the hill which has a very long and odd angled steady curve caused the fault due to the front tires going at something like an added 3 degree angle for an extended time and the sensors saw it as an error. It came on almost immediately upon straightening out at the bottom. Makes sense to me, because it is a very long curve and not a normal one at that.
I have seen that a few times before. If the steering angle and steering torque sensors are out of register with each other for too long, it results in a fault. I think another rider reported the same issue in a heavy side wind, and I have had it myself on a long off-camber turn. I only wish it didn't trigger limp mode. That adds to your troubles, IMO. As you have seen, a decent tech can make pretty good sense of these things with the stored diagnostic information. Thanks for the follow-up report. They are always helpful.

retiredsquid
09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the response. I firmly believe in following up on a thread that I start involving a problem. Otherwise, it serves no purpose to file a problem without what was done to correct it. I'm just happy that the dealer had techs waiting for me when I pulled in. That was very nice and appreciated.

captainryder
09-17-2011, 11:05 AM
This is very interesting stuff, however, it seems that the electronics are limiting our ability to ride. I guess we will have to get the curves and hills in the Ozarks straightened out before we can ride there. Maybe Can-Am can make us a guide to roads that will match their criteria for riding.

Questions
09-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Had this happen to me during my recent trip. Right after I crossed an extremely bumpy asphalt road in WV. "Check DPS" came on followed by Limp Home Mode. I pulled over shut it down for a minute, started back up and had no more issues for the next 500 miles. I plan to take it to the dealer this week and let them see what BUDS picks up. Will let ya know what they say.

JoanJenn
09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
KEEPS HAPPENING TO ME AND I HAVE TOWED TO DEALERS SEVERAL TIMES----- SAME TESTING, CALL BRP AND ANOTHER ANSWER AND NOTHING IS FIXING IT---- hard when you travel on major roads and it goes to LIMP with no where to pull off and with PGR and Motor Maid groups and so on--- gotta get this straightened out. Thought I was going to get run over in LIMP on a 2 lane US Hwy with no shoulders---- can't do this-- love the bike but not this part!! Can-Am seems to tell the tech things like "bend the brake switch" and put in new battery which was done---- still errors like CK ABDk Ck transmission, Ck engine, Ck DPS and all end up LIMP which is scary-- my dealer is 1 1/2 away-- bugger-- any suggestions-- have EM ed to Lamonster--- cannot find an EM for Can_AM and tried their # but off for the week-end.

Help!!!!!! AND thanks, JJ:opps:

SpyderHawke
09-24-2011, 10:44 PM
I had the same thing happen. I turned on my hazards and then pulled off as soon as I could. When I powered off and started back up all was well and I have driven 200+ miles since w/o issue.