PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!! Stuck in 4th gear!!!

smartin436
09-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi All,
We've had our 2011 RTS SE5 for just under 2 weeks now. Riding it home from work today it got stuck in 4th gear. I made it home ok which is a good thing but our plans for riding this holiday weekend are not looking so good now. It has a little over 1200 miles on it and have had no issues so far with the trans until today. On the way home it seemed to slip a little going into 2nd gear.
Anyone got any idea's? I've turned it off and back on a couple of time, it's still in 4th gear.

Thanx
Steve

ARtraveler
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
:welcome: lets try the obvious first. Take the key out of the Spyder and move 6-10 ft away. That will break the circuit. Then do a re-start going through the boot up process real slow.

Get on the bike: turn the key on. Foot on brake. Parking brake release. push mode button to satisfy the safety card read. Keep foot on brake and start engine. It should automatically reset to N.

If this does not work--other members will come on with more ideas. Usually its just something small--let's hope that is your situation.

smartin436
09-02-2011, 02:51 PM
I may have been guilty of not rolling off the trottle all the way.............I was glad to be off work early........

Mr. White
09-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I am sorry about your problem, but you do not have to roll off the throttle when shifting...I do feather my throttle, but I can run it to 6K+ rpm and just hit the paddle to shift on up to 5th. I do not do this (only twice, could not believe it the first time..) as I feel it is hard on the clutch...I hope it is nothing major...let us know...we care.

:spyder2:

Jevans7
09-02-2011, 04:05 PM
You can shift it with wrench from under spyder check owners manule

smartin436
09-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Only thing I can find in my manual is" If you SE5 won't shift, take it to your dealer"

smartin436
09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
i found the shift linkage and worked it by hand and got it in nuetral........it won't even attempt to go into 1st gear or reverse..........

Any idea's or do I trailer it to the dealer.............

(A big part of me is missing my Goldwing!!!)

I have fallen in love with my spyder over the last couple of weeks.........this is very disappointing to me. I rode 2 different Goldwings and a Victory Vision for a total of about 50K miles in the last 3 years and never a single break down.........I hope this is not a sign of things to come........

NancysToy
09-02-2011, 05:36 PM
i found the shift linkage and worked it by hand and got it in nuetral........it won't even attempt to go into 1st gear or reverse..........

I have fallen in love with my spyder over the last couple of weeks.........this is very disappointing to me. I rode 2 different Goldwings and a Victory Vision for a total of about 50K miles in the last 3 years and never a single break down.........I hope this is not a sign of things to come........
If it is any help to you, this is not a common problem. It has happened, but is not common and has not happened to the same Spyder again once repaired, as far as I remember. Sorry for the hiccup, but I think you will be on the road for good very soon. If you have the BEST warranty, they will tow it in for you. If not, you might contact the dealer. A good one will offer to pick it up for free.

Lamonster
09-02-2011, 05:45 PM

I have fallen in love with my spyder over the last couple of weeks.........this is very disappointing to me. I rode 2 different Goldwings and a Victory Vision for a total of about 50K miles in the last 3 years and never a single break down.........I hope this is not a sign of things to come........Are you putting your foot on the brake when you try and shift it?

billybovine
09-02-2011, 06:21 PM
There was another thread recently that described a similar problem. They later reported that the dealer said it was a loose nut or something in the shift linkage. Hope this may help.

smartin436
09-02-2011, 06:34 PM
i don't have the BEST warranty, I'll have to get to the dealer. I did try putting it in gear with foot on brake, off brake, parking brake on, off.........It's not making any noise at all when I push the buttons, it's like maybe an electrical issue, switch or something. I looked at the linkage when I got it moved back to neutral, all seems tight.

I talked to the service dept guys at Hattiesburg Cycle and they said that they could get it in first thing in the morning for me, it's a 90 mile tow but well worth it if they could turn it around same day for me. Time off work is very precious to me............can't ever get enough of it.....would love to be able to ride Sunday and Monday...........

I'll keep ya'll posted.........thanx for all the help!!!!!!

Mr. White
09-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I really enjoy reading when a dealer steps up and helps one of us. I hope all works out for you.

smartin436
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I was able to work the shift lever under the bike and use reverse and first gear to get it loaded. Hopefully it's not much wrong........Good thing though....while there I can pick up my new windshield, luggage and trailer wire harness....

I really enjoy reading when a dealer steps up and helps one of us. I hope all works out for you.

smartin436
09-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi All,
Got our baby back wednesday afternoon. When I picked her up the mechanic was gone to lunch, and I was unable to find out a lotof details. Below is a list of what was replaced.

Part# 420611492 housing hydraulic
420430661 gasket
420481270 gasket
420431340 piston lining
420631160 o-ring
420430690 o-ring
420430623 gsaket ring
420250015 alum washer
420256510 pres reg piston
420250690 o-ring
420430920 0-ring

1.5 hours of labor......description says "replace HCM"

Carlo from BRP read this post and got in touch with me about the issue. He stated that it was not a common problem but they had seen it a few times and knew what to do to correct it. He said that he would call the dealer, overnite the needed parts and make sure that they dealer's mechanic had any support he needed.
Shortly after recieving the parts my dealer jumped on it and had her ready in just a couple of hours. I was a little concerned when my new, very expensive Spyder had broken down after only 1200 miles and 2 weeks of ownership. I have ridden 2 different Goldwing's a total of 40k miles in the last 4 years and never had a breakdown, but the way this was handled by BRP and Hattiesburg Cycles, set's my mind at ease. .....
It blew my mind that BRP has people on staff that monitors these forums for issues with their product's. Then, to jump in, contact the owner and take an assertive part in getting the bike fixed and back on the road, paying to overnite the part's.......and get this.....Carlo called the dealer while I was there getting the bike to check on the status of the repair, and later that day, contacted me to make sure all was well......Don't get much better than that!!!!
Spyder's are relatively new and some bugs are to be expected. I could not ask for better customer service than I got on this issue, from BRP and the dealer. I've put about 150miles on her since I got her back and she is running and shifting great.

Looking foward to THUNDER BEACH, at the end of the month in Panama City Beach!!!!!!!

Thanx for everyone's input on the problem!!!!!! Now, back to the trailer wire thing.......

SpyderDen
09-16-2011, 09:12 AM
:yikes::thumbup: