PDA

View Full Version : September meeting?

SpyderDuck
08-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Well, we have had meet n' greets on the last Saturday of the month for the past 2 months. Do we want to continue? If so, does anyone have any ideas for September?

wildbill6565
08-31-2011, 03:36 PM
If I ever get my Spyder back we will!

WingmanRT
09-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, we have had meet n' greets on the last Saturday of the month for the past 2 months. Do we want to continue? If so, does anyone have any ideas for September?

I'm a new Spyder Ryder, but it would depend on where most people are coming from. For example, I am from south Charlotte, but people from the middle of the state may want to lean that way versus people from Asheville, may want to be more that direction.

Quaker State & Lube in Concord is bike friendly.
The ride up 321 to Hickory is a smooth ride.
T-Bones on St. Rt. 49 at Lake Wylie in SC is just across the border and bike friendly.
The Tilted Kilt on St. Rt. 49 just before you get to the SC border is also bike friendly.

wildbill6565
09-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I got my Spyder back so we're ready!!!!!!!!!

SpyderDuck
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
July's gathering took place in Greensboro, August's was in Hickory... anyone want to play host in their area? Basically, all you need to do is pick a time and place for us to meet, and plan a route for a ride.

2Gunns
09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
July's gathering took place in Greensboro, August's was in Hickory... anyone want to play host in their area? Basically, all you need to do is pick a time and place for us to meet, and plan a route for a ride.

Wish my schedule would allow me to host a gathering.....but it's probably best that it does not. There are no good riding roads down here in the flatland. (Geez, I need to move)

Rayelljay
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
We're flat too in K'ville. Although we do have Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain.
Really, for upners and downers you gotta go west and north.
We have some nice twisties but they tend to be populated with sheltered drivways and pickup trucks with lawn mower trailers.
This week I'm going to take a run up to near Boone on 421....up in the lower foothills there's some old fabricated steel railroad bridges and a real pretty concrete arch bridge which I hope are still there....been meaning to take some photos.
Right now I'm kinda limited to about an hour each way 'cos of no risers and resultant neckache...bumma really...luv to ryde.
Ray

Leslee
09-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Just a wild suggestion to consider. The Gold Wing Road Riders state rally is in Fletcher, NC Sept 22-24. They have vendors and I think there will be a $10 day pass. We will be there Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning. A former member of our chapter who lives in Hendersonville will be leading a group of us on a ride on Saturday morning--not sure what time for sure but probably around 9 AM. Our friends will be on Wings, but some other bikes too. I'll be on my Spyder.

If anyone would like to come, let me know and I'll try to find the meeting spot and time. Just a wild suggestion.

SpyderDuck
09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Not exactly meet n greet, but would anyone be interested in this? Good cause, a parade, and PINK fire trucks. Never heard of it before now, so I dunno anything about it...

http://www.motorcyclemonster.com/events/love-run-pink-heals-2011-09-24-Hickory-NC.html

WingmanRT
09-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Was a consensus ever reached? The time draws nigh!

I would think somewhere central state would be convenient for most, but I don't know where everyone is located.

However... That gives me an idea. Someone one here had a spreadsheet of Ryders. They could upload that to http://BatchGeo.com for free and generate a map with general Ryder locations on it so that we know where the concentration of ryders are.

2Gunns
09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
http://batchgeo.com/map/bfdfe5a544d168c048a02b5203e61800

SpyderDuck
09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Huh. Didn't find myself on the map. It must be because I drove the Prius today... ya think? ;)

No consensus on a meeting place yet.

spyder-dude
09-16-2011, 08:45 PM
If you guys come to north part of North Carolina I would come and visit from Staunton, VA.....Never ridden in that area so would love to check it out if anyone knows of any nice riding area's up there....I am 3 hours north of Reidsville, NC.

WingmanRT
09-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Huh. Didn't find myself on the map. It must be because I drove the Prius today... ya think? ;) No consensus on a meeting place yet.
Ow. I'm not on it either and it was MY idea! Eh... that's what I get for being the new guy. (Dude! You drive a Prius?! :hun: )

It does look like there is a corridor of Ryders from Charlotte to Danville. Salisbury and Lexington look to be in the middle. Anybody know of any cycle friendly restaurants in that area? If you take into account the Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville ryders, Concord is a little more central and there are a ton of restaurants there.

Thought: There's a Lancaster's BBQ in Mooresville (http://www.lancastersbbq.com/). I've never been there, but their web site says they have a 'bike night' and they look to be cycle friendly.

I'm open for about anything (within reason) and I vote that SpyderDuck makes a management decision since I think he was the one who started the thread. (Did you see how smoothly I saddled him with that? I should be a politician!)

SpyderDuck
09-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Yes, this DUDETTE drives a Prius - it gets almost twice the mpg of the Spyder. Clyde and DuPree get along just fine, and share a side of my garage.

And now that you know I'm female, you should also be aware how impossible it would be to saddle me with anything that I don't want, politician or not, lol! Nobody's that smooth. All kidding aside, I only know roads around here, and only because Ltownblue has shown them to me; he's the ultimate ride leader. Because the last meeting was in our area (we rode Devil's Staircase, Double Island Road, Diamondback, and a loop around Lake James), I thought folks would like to meet elsewhere this time.

Basically, we just need someone to be willing to plan a ride route and lead us. If you want biker-friendly, there's always Laurel Springs bike resort on the Parkway.

rafiki2cu
09-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I went to the Can Am Spyder site and under community they have a spyder map showing everyone who has registered. There seems to be a lot of spyder owners in NC.

WingmanRT
09-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Yes, this DUDETTE drives a Prius - it gets almost twice the mpg of the Spyder. Clyde and DuPree get along just fine, and share a side of my garage. And now that you know I'm female, you should also be aware how impossible it would be to saddle me with anything that I don't want, politician or not, lol! Nobody's that smooth. All kidding aside, I only know roads around here, and only because Ltownblue has shown them to me; he's the ultimate ride leader. Because the last meeting was in our area (we rode Devil's Staircase, Double Island Road, Diamondback, and a loop around Lake James), I thought folks would like to meet elsewhere this time.Basically, we just need someone to be willing to plan a ride route and lead us. If you want biker-friendly, there's always Laurel Springs bike resort on the Parkway.
My apologies, SpyderDuck. Gender confusion has always been an issue with me (which explains that one grossly embarrassing situation in college! (To this day, I could swear he said "BIKE-curious! :yikes:)

Getting twice the mileage of my Spyder wouldn't take much.

As for the meet & greet... doesn't matter to me. Whatever will work for the most peeps. If we do the Parkway, the wife unit and I would probably come up Friday and make it a weekend. 130 miles up, and then back, and then a decent Parkway ride, is a bit much for us novices in a single day. I agree that mixing it up seems like a good idea. I don't know the ride routes either, so that leaves me out. Central NC seems like it would get the most attendees if the word gets out. Only 6 days away, someone just needs to make decision and those that can make it, will.

2Gunns
09-18-2011, 06:38 AM
I apologize for any names not showing up on the map, I'm not sure what"s going on with that. if you scroll down you"ll see that everyone is lisyed. Gotta love technology

WingmanRT
09-18-2011, 08:42 AM
I apologize for any names not showing up on the map, I'm not sure what"s going on with that. if you scroll down you"ll see that everyone is lisyed. Gotta love technology
That may be some restriction on BatchGeo's part to incite upgrading to the Pro version.

WackyDan
09-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Heck... I'd love to get together just for lunch, but I have an international assignment that keeps moving the week on me so it is hard to commit to anything until I'm 4 or 5 days out at this point.

WingmanRT
09-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I think I found something the wife and I may do (in lieu of any concrete ideas here). "Bikers, Blues & BBQ" in Salisbury on Saturday. 9am Poker Run, BBQ competition and Blues bands.

Bikers, Blues & BBQ
Tilley Harley-Davidson Biker Blues & BBQ Rally
Salisbury, North Carolina September 23 and 24, 2011
Biker Blues BBQ Rally
Friday, September 23, 2011 - Saturday, September 24, 2011
Motorcycle Rally
This rally will be family friendly. There will be 50 BBQ cooking teams assembled at this Rally. There will be a Poker Run, Bike Show, and other family-oriented events. There will be many activities that will support charities at this event.

Tilley Harley-Davidson
653 Bendix Dr, Salisbury, NC
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Salisbury,+NORTH CAROLINA,+653 Bendix Dr (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Salisbury,+NORTH%20CAROLINA,+653%20Bendix%2 0Dr)
704-638-6044
www.bikerbluesbbqrally.com (http://www.bikerbluesbbqrally.com)
info@bikerbluesbbqrally.com
http://www.bikerbluesbbqrally.com/event-information/teams

WingmanRT
09-18-2011, 12:11 PM
While researching things to get into, I ran into these sites:

CycleFish.com - in particular NC events http://www.cyclefish.com/browse_events.php?st=34&gclid=CJ7Bu-2dp6sCFZBb7AodTj165w
Sunday Morning Rides - http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/states/NC.shtml pretty cool - it gives you the route maps and distances
Lets-ride.com - NC: http://www.lets-ride.com/event/northcarolina.htm
BikerPlaza.com - http://www.bikerplaza.com/motorcycle-events-nc.html event lists

2Gunns
09-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Heck... I'd love to get together just for lunch, but I have an international assignment that keeps moving the week on me so it is hard to commit to anything until I'm 4 or 5 days out at this point.

I feel you Dan.... I've been told to go to 4 different plants in the last week...and ended up going to none. It's very fustrating sitting with your bags packed....cna't commit to anything waiting on the phone to ring.

2Gunns
09-19-2011, 08:31 AM
While researching things to get into, I ran into these sites:

CycleFish.com - in particular NC events http://www.cyclefish.com/browse_events.php?st=34&gclid=CJ7Bu-2dp6sCFZBb7AodTj165w
Sunday Morning Rides - http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/states/NC.shtml pretty cool - it gives you the route maps and distances
Lets-ride.com - NC: http://www.lets-ride.com/event/northcarolina.htm
BikerPlaza.com - http://www.bikerplaza.com/motorcycle-events-nc.html event lists

looking at the map of the sundaymorningrides.com ... looks like most is in the western half of the state, just as I expected. Nothing down my way except South of the Border :D

WingmanRT
09-19-2011, 02:00 PM
looking at the map of the sundaymorningrides.com ... looks like most is in the western half of the state, just as I expected. Nothing down my way except South of the Border :D
Know what you mean. I am in South Charlotte and most are at least 75-120 miles just to starting point from me, not including the 100+ mile ride. There are days (much like today) when I would love to cut out early, take a leisurely two hour ride, and get back home for dinner.

SpyderDuck
09-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Ok, folks, Ltownblue (you may remember me mentioning him... ride leader extraordinaire?) has planned a ride for Saturday, and anyone who cares to join us is welcome. Here is our plan-

Breakfast at Mountain House in Boone NC; leave Mountain House at around 8:45 for the ryde. So if you can't make it earlier, you can simply be at Mountain House at that time. From there, 3 Top Rd, 88, 194, and 58 to Damascus, VA, then 133 to Shady Valley and the Snake (421). We'll take 421 to Blowing Rock, where we'll have lunch/early dinner.

Blue knows where Mountain House is; I gotta Google it.

WingmanRT
09-20-2011, 07:41 PM
I'll have to shoot for next month. We had already committed to the Bikers, Blues & BBQ in Salisbury. Have a great ryde!

rafiki2cu
09-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Will have to pass on this one. Spyder in the shop for chrome and gps mods.

Ltownblue
09-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Mountain House restaurant is right off of 321 in Boone. Great food. 3 Top Road is a great mountain road and the trip into Virginia on 194 and 58 is always beautiful. The plan is to come back through Damascus to Shady Valley and then back to Boone via the Snake. If you're not going, you're going to miss a good ride. Just sayin'....

CWilber
09-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Some of us are meeting at Dunkin Donuts in Indian Trail at 8:30 tomorrow morning to take a ride. Two Spyders and some 2-wheelers. Anyone wanting to join us is welcome. Of course, if it's raining we will cancel.

Cheryl

WingmanRT
09-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Some of us are meeting at Dunkin Donuts in Indian Trail at 8:30 tomorrow morning to take a ride. Two Spyders and some 2-wheelers. Anyone wanting to join us is welcome. Of course, if it's raining we will cancel.

Cheryl
I might be up for that. Any thoughts on where you are ryding?

We just got back from Bikers, Blues & BBQ in Salisbury. That was fun, albeit I could have lived without the downpour on the way home. Bunch of major wrecks on 485 had traffic backed up for miles.

WackyDan
09-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Missed them both. Leah gave me her cold so I was sweating and sleeping it out today.

WingmanRT
09-25-2011, 06:44 AM

Cheryl

So... the 7:00am Weather.com report & radar says clear till 11:30, rain for an hour (lunch break!) and then sunny as it can be. I get my gear ready, go out to the bike and it's misting! Argh! I WANT TO RYDE!

I (want to ) believe this mist will clear up, but the question is: will it be in time to avoid the narrow 11:30 squall line sweeping through GA right now? I could wait until after noon, but that means I got up at 6:30am for no apparent reason! On a Sunday! :banghead:

Damn that Larry Sprinkle!

WingmanRT
09-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Cheryl
Great ride. Thanks for including me!
Fred's mods...

33525 33526 33527 33528 33529

WingmanRT
09-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Great ride. Thanks for including me!

33530 33531

rafiki2cu
09-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Fred has a nice ride there. Just my luck somebody with a Corbin seat to check out and my ride is in the shop.

WingmanRT
09-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Fred has a nice ride there. Just my luck somebody with a Corbin seat to check out and my ride is in the shop.
Yeah, I was drooling over his HMT brake light, Fan Can, and more importantly his Elka Suspension. My RT was bobbing, weaving, & dipping all over my lane and his was rock steady. You could have put a level on that thing.

rafiki2cu
09-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I was drooling over his HMT brake light, Fan Can, and more importantly his Elka Suspension. My RT was bobbing, weaving, & dipping all over my lane and his was rock steady. You could have put a level on that thing.

You should have never told me this. Now I'm drooling:bowdown:

fredace
09-27-2011, 06:32 AM
WOW, I have my own fanclub!

WingmanRT
09-28-2011, 03:34 PM
That's what you get for being so cool Fred. Or at least tricking out your Spyder!

Almost forgot... I ordered my Elka suspension yesterday. Should be in in about 3 weeks!

rafiki2cu
09-28-2011, 06:18 PM
That's what you get for being so cool Fred. Or at least tricking out your Spyder!

Almost forgot... I ordered my Elka suspension yesterday. Should be in in about 3 weeks!

Wingmman RT what version of the Elkas did you order. I was on there site ths morning checking them out.

WingmanRT
09-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Wingmman RT what version of the Elkas did you order. I was on there site this morning checking them out.

I called their Quebec office and spoke with John (?), and he said that with my RT Limited, and even with my size (pretty big guy), that I only needed the "1 Way" shocks. That the reservoirs (the 1+ and above) were overkill. The reservoirs were for "off road sport riders that hammered the shocks and that the reservoir was for the hydraulic fluid as it overheats". For touring style riding, all I needed was the basic 1 Way shocks.

It was refreshing to NOT try to be up-sold to the higher priced item. The 1+ start at about $950 and the numbers go up from there. The 1 Ways were about $690. They custom set the shocks based on your bike, weight (and passenger & ryding style) so that when you get them (in 3 weeks) they should be already tuned for your bike. Fred has them and he also confirms that you don't need the more expensive ones. John said that when you install them (or in my case, HAVE them installed), make sure the instructions get read, because they look like they go in upside down from the stock suspension (with the spring at the other end now). He installed some at a bike show in 10 minutes. The dealer shouldn't charge more than a half hour labor. It's a few bolts and done, according to him. I can still "twist adjust" them as needed. He said that they have sold about 150 sets of these to Can-Am ryders since April.

I love my Spyder, but I am primarily getting these because:

At highway speeds, it gets wishy washy and wants to sway back and forth (maybe a half dozen-12 inches, but not amusing.)
When the right edge of the roads dips down, I feel like I am tipping. (This is probably just my inner ear and old age. But it still induces a brief, but unhappy, pucker factor in me.) It's particularly bad when you are (sharply) turning one way and the the road tilts the opposite. Between G-Force and road angle, I feel like I am halfway to the gravel.

John said that they would also help with cornering and smoothing out the ride, but would definitely minimize the issues above. They come with a 1 year defect warranty. Fred says his changed his suspension about 50%, which is great, because if the difference was only 10%-20%, it would not justify the cost. 50% exceeds my expectations of how much they could improve the ride. I stood on his bike and tried to tip it back and forth and there is a huge difference.

IMO:

More robust, tighter suspension for the RT's addl weight & higher center of gravity (safety),
an HMT brake/running light on the rear trunk (safety),
and a heat deflector for your brake foot (comfort)

are 3 issues BRP should have addressed in design. It is now costing me about about a $1000 to correct these on a new bike that I have just made my first payment on. Ow. Ow. Ow.:sour:

rafiki2cu
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Wingman RT, you will have to let me know how you like them. I might order a set for my Christmas present and save the wife from trying to find something for me. Man am I one great husband or what.:roflblack::roflblack:

2Gunns
09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
I've been traveling so much with work ....I've had my Elkas for a month and they are sitting in the box : (

I need a Spyder vacation

rafiki2cu
09-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Here is a question from the Fan Club.:roflblack: Your graphics are they hand painted.

rafiki2cu
09-30-2011, 07:09 PM
I've been traveling so much with work ....I've had my Elkas for a month and they are sitting in the box : (

I need a Spyder vacation

WOW you do need a vacation. Elkas sitting in a box not being used now that is just wrong.:(

fredace
10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Yes, graphics are hand-painted. By "Dennis" at the Deals Gap store.

WingmanRT
10-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Finally got them... see this post...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?33756-Elka-Shocks-came-today&p=383781&posted=1#post383781