PDA

View Full Version : Didn't give up

Shaku
08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
A while back I posted in extreme frustration thinking I had put out $25K+ for a machine that was nearly uncontrollable at freeway speeds and in any sort of air disturbance. Many, many members gave encouragement and hints both on line and in PMs. While I really (really) did not want to sink more $ into the Spyder, I got a pair of ELKAS for the front. Finally, I have a highspeed freeway eater. I'm not an insane fast rider, but it is a long way to anywhere out here and 75mph is a nice setting. Yesterday, I tried a one-handed pass of a semi in honor of Lamonster's video. Not as smooth as his, but I can live with it. The question that presents itself is: Why doesn't BRP put Elkas (or similar) on the zooters to begin with? Probably more $ for them, but percentage wise, it wouldn't be that much for a lot of happier ryders. The shop said my alignment was off 1/8". The shop guy took off before I found out what was 1/8" off.

I chucked up 18PSI in the front and 45PSI in the suspension, 29.5 in the rear tire. I wanted to thank those who sent encouragement and tips. I still haven't completely stopped grabbing for the front brake that isn't there. But, it's getting better.

Bob Denman
08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_13.gif A Happy dance is being done in your honor... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-29-2011, 11:37 AM
:2thumbs: I am also glad to hear you were able to get handling issues solved to your satisfaction.

There are a lot of handling and comfort options out there--but I am guessing they will be only available as aftermarket items.

DynamoBT
08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
It amazes me that both the RT and RS are better with upgraded shocks and that the two models did not come equiped that way right out of the crate. Surely BRP test drove the Spyder in all kinds of conditions. They put all kinds of thought into the machine producing a totally new concept. But, were they happy with the "roll" and instability at high speed?? I was avoiding any road over 50 mph before I put the RT shocks on my RS. My RS quite frankly handled like crap before the upgrade. What a world of difference now with the 2011 RT shocks on there. Even the tech who test drove my Spyder after working on it said it felt 100% improved.

Anyway, I'm glad you are resolving your concerns. The Spyder is opportunity in a fantastic package for a wide range of ryders. You don't need to be old or unable on two wheels just to enjoy the Y platform. It's a fun machine!!

Glad to hear a happier you!!

daveinva
08-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Congratulations on fixing your issues, Shaku! Have fun, and safe riding!

SteveMac
08-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Excellent news Shaku. I'm very happy it worked out for you!! Now hopefully you can enjoy the RYDE!!

NancysToy
08-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Glad you got it whipped. Having inadequate toe-in will make a Spyder a handful. That would have been what was 1/8" off. Toe-in is the only parameter that is adjustable.

murphybrown
08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Soooo glad to hear....Elkas is next mod on my list...altho, I haven't had any issues with handling...what I read and hear they will make it 100% better...gess that means I will be driving as I lull myself to sleep.....:yikes::yikes:
Again so glad you hung in there to many quit when the going gets less than what they want or assume "life" aka spyder ryding should be....:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-29-2011, 01:58 PM
So... Who's got the Elkas that we're all goinna be needing?? nojoke

Shaku
08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
I spent a long time on the phone with Elka. They would ship me a pair but said I would get a better deal from Cowtown. Ask for Dan.

Oh... and anybody that knows how to get torque wrench on the upper bolts, without taking the Tupperware off, I'd appreciate knowing. I have 3 torque wrenches and none work right. The small one doesn't go high enough and the big ones don't fit. So, I just tightened the bejeebers out of it with a 3/8" socket and a combo metric wrench. If I remember correctly, it's 35 lbs/ft. I'm gonna have to take a bunch of Tupperware off to adjust the headlights, I'll torque then. (The new spring raises the front 1".)

joe schmoe
08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Congrats on the FIX!! :thumbup:

Yeah the Elka's fixed my wife's RT...After 35 miles I knew something had to give or it was going to be a LONG ride home...Luckily Len and the couple who had stopped to pick up their Spyder told us about the Elka's well worth the extra $$$$

retiredsquid
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
So... Who's got the Elkas that we're all goinna be needing?? nojoke

Call Len @ CowTown and he'll give you a lesson about the shocks and set you up. Great guy to deal with.
Regards,
Rich

joe schmoe
08-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Call Len @ CowTown and he'll give you a lesson about the shocks and set you up. Great guy to deal with.
Regards,
Rich

+1 on Len! :thumbup:

SpyderHawke
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Elkas,

I too just got an RTS and was significantly less than impressed with the handling. Despite many motorcycle hours I would watch the CanAM commercials with these people taking high speed turns knowing full well I would end up on my ass if I tried such a turn. It turned out my rear suspension had issues and was in "Manual" mode. In my case it locked up in soft suspension and was, well, squishy when I drove it. It also needed a software update and was missing 5 bolts. Kinda lucky I didn't have a serious issue really...

Anyway, when I realized I had a mechanical problem I was actually relieved since I was not at all happy with my expensive new toy at that point. So after 3 days in the shop I got it back fixed plus 600-mile service and it was almost a new machine.

Problem is, while it is WAY better than it was I am still not entirely impressed with the handling. So after reading your post I thought I would try some Elkas. Only thing is, after looking around I don't know which ones. Do I want the "3 way"'s? Also, did you put them on yourself or pay the dealer? Finally, do you have a switch now to adjust the front suspension?

Thanks,

Corey

SteveMac
08-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Elkas,

I too just got an RTS and was significantly less than impressed with the handling. Despite many motorcycle hours I would watch the CanAM commercials with these people taking high speed turns knowing full well I would end up on my ass if I tried such a turn. It turned out my rear suspension had issues and was in "Manual" mode. In my case it locked up in soft suspension and was, well, squishy when I drove it. It also needed a software update and was missing 5 bolts. Kinda lucky I didn't have a serious issue really...

Anyway, when I realized I had a mechanical problem I was actually relieved since I was not at all happy with my expensive new toy at that point. So after 3 days in the shop I got it back fixed plus 600-mile service and it was almost a new machine.

Problem is, while it is WAY better than it was I am still not entirely impressed with the handling. So after reading your post I thought I would try some Elkas. Only thing is, after looking around I don't know which ones. Do I want the "3 way"'s? Also, did you put them on yourself or pay the dealer? Finally, do you have a switch now to adjust the front suspension?

Thanks,

Corey

You should really contact Cowtown. Len will get you a good deal and all the info you need or want. (573) 885-6393

Shaku
08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
The Spyder model is a single stage. I put them in myself in about 3 hrs. I used an ATV lift and when the height is right, the shocks fall out when the 4 bolts are removed. The Elkas have 1" longer travel than stock and raise the front end about an inch. Headlights will need adjusting. I haven't worried about it as I hardly ever ride at night and have never ridden the Spyder at night. I didn't find it obvious which end of the shock goes up. Turns out that the end with the Schraeder valve goes up. Don't mess with the valve as it comes pre-charged. They are built for your weight and typical cargoes, etc. I was told by the factory that the rear is OK from BRP until around 12K - 14K miles. Elka has one for the back too. The Spyder suspension system has nothing to do with the shocks. Even in the rear, the air goes to an air bag, not the shock.

AndyIsRiding
08-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Just got my Elkas installed, E36R I believe, what a difference, ryding a new bike.

played with the rebound a bit, 5 is like a gocart, 20 great for 2 up, 30 nice and smooth, 40 almost like the old springs, in leaning, not ryding.....

anybody need 2010 RT front shocks? 10,000km on them.

SteveMac
09-01-2011, 09:20 PM
:agree: I run mine on 25 and it is good for two up or just me. Tried 10, but That didn't work. 30-40 was too soft. Now I have it set so that Goldilocks herself would be pleased.

Just got my Elkas installed, E36R I believe, what a difference, ryding a new bike.

played with the rebound a bit, 5 is like a gocart, 20 great for 2 up, 30 nice and smooth, 40 almost like the old springs, in leaning, not ryding.....

anybody need 2010 RT front shocks? 10,000km on them.