PDA

View Full Version : Heat reflective tape on the inside of Spyder panels?

daveinva
08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
So, I'm back to a bit of concern about the heat coming off my bike.

I've finally ordered the Spyderpops gear, I figure it can't hurt, but my heat issues aren't associated with the right side-- it's the *left* panels and my seat that get unusually hot.

Today, out riding in 80 degree temps, my crotch felt like it was on fire on the seat-- unpleasant, I can assure you. But strangely, it was only during one leg of my trip; the return leg, I didn't have nearly as much heat coming up. Bizarre.

I've got less than 2K miles, so I doubt it's a problem with my gaskets, but I can't rule it out. I'm not particularly motivated to go through the trouble of checking them right now; I'll probably swap out the Honda gaskets at some point.

But in the meantime, I'm looking for some interim solutions.

First possibility is wrapping the exhaust. Trouble is, I've read threads where some people say it helps, others say it's a waste of effort, and a few suggest it might be downright a bad idea for the Spyder. So, methinks I'll wait before trying that.

However... I don't recall if I saw it somewhere around here, but would there be any use to applying heat reflective tape on the inside of the Spyder panels? You know, this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Thermaflect-Tape-1-1-Roll/dp/B002UPLB7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314587869&sr=8-1

There's already some (laughably) thin weatherstripping stuff on the inside of a few panels. I wonder if adding tape to the side panels, Y panel, and perhaps even the bottom of the seat might not help?

Anyway... looking for opinions, either from someone who's tried this, or someone who knows for sure that this would be a dumb waste of time that won't help me a bit. ;)

Oh, and another thing, for those folks with aftermarket seats (Corbin, Russell, Ultimate, etc.)-- do they help at all with the seat heat given off by the bike? Or is it pretty equal to the stock seat?

stevedfive
08-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I used the heat reflective tape under the seat and along seams of the side panels/center console. It helped some and left some open areas as not to create too much over the tank.

Phil
08-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm curious about the tape as well.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

qasamm
08-29-2011, 07:49 AM
I did the insides of my panels- it seemed to be a waste of effort. One thing I did find useful was using weatherstripping to close the gap between the panels and seat. Can't remember who suggested it but it had a notable effect and is a quick/cheap thing to do.

Btw I have a Corbin seat.

Lamonster
08-29-2011, 08:09 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31842-Thermo-Imaging-of-the-Spyder-RT :doorag:

daveinva
08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I did the insides of my panels- it seemed to be a waste of effort. One thing I did find useful was using weatherstripping to close the gap between the panels and seat. Can't remember who suggested it but it had a notable effect and is a quick/cheap thing to do.

Btw I have a Corbin seat.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the thread I saw it, someone mentioned using weatherstripping to cover the gap.

Oh, and thanks Lamont, I remember seeing that thread... I know that some heat is unavoidable through the seat, it's motorcycling after all, but what I find odd is that my seat heat seems so unpredictable. Some days it'll be hot as heck after 15 minutes, others it'll be fine for hours, and there's no logical differences (it changes regardless of outside temps, riding style, in the sun or out of the sun, etc.).

The days it's just merely "warm," I'm comfy with that. The days it gets flaming hot, well... would like to help tamp that down, my GF may want kids someday! :D