PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from onwers

rfm1992
08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a RT, should it be the semi automatic or manual 5 speed. The test ride I took was on a automatic and I liked it but would the manual have more power for take off and mountain riding?

Thanks

Rick

SpyderAnn01
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
That is a personal decision. I bought the SM becasue I'm old school and "paddle shifters" drive me crazy. Give me a clutch and gear shift and I'm happy. That said if you will be doing a lot of riding in heavy traffic or a lot of stopping/starting on hills you may really like the SE. There are many on here who absolutely love the SE. Good luck with your choice and :welcome:

Star Cruiser
08-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi Rick, I was just cruisin' around the RT forum because I am thinking of upgrading to the R/T. More on that later.
I currently have the RS with the SE5 Shifter. I can tell you there is a LOT of power and it is a much faster (and easier) shift than the clutched model. The only setback I have with SE5 over the Manual shift is that you NEED to put on th e parking brake because the bike still rolls in gear (because the revs have to go over 1,500rpm, or so to engage the drive train. The RT Model has the power Parking Brake so that is not so much of an issue BUT you DO have to set it every time you stop (at least PARK) the Spyder. Much quicker shift times though!

OK my question on the Same topic - so I don't think it is a "hijack" of the thread.
Do you think there is any reason NOT to get an RT yet? I was going to wait another year to let some of the "bugs" get ironed out. The mechanic, who I trust a LOT, where I get my RS serviced says that there has not been much in his experience in the last year. I am thinking of 2011 RT-S or if there are not available I will wait and order the 2012. Any major differences? I might save a few dollars on the 2011, but I don't think it will be significant as my trade in on my 2008 will be less next year as well. No trailer package for me, just the RT-S with SE5 Transmission. Looking forward to some opinions and honest feedback. My 2008 with Corbin Bags has served me well for three summers and 70,000+ km. Only a few more months of riding season left up here in Ontario.

Hawk Eye
08-25-2011, 04:50 PM
SE anytime

ARtraveler
08-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Test driving both flavors may be helpful. Its a personal decision though, and I have had both kinds--and am currently ryding a SE5.

I could go either way on the next one.

I do not note any power difference from one to the other--the SE5 actually may be quicker--because you don't have to roll off the accelerator or use a foot shifter. Just crank it and push the shift actuator when you are ready to upshift.

ThreeFeet
08-25-2011, 06:11 PM
If you're getting on in age a little and have ANY problems with your hands the SE will be of greater good. The clutch lever can be hard to work with if arther is getting into your fingers.:gaah:

jgwoods
08-25-2011, 06:19 PM
When I traded in my RS SE5 for my 2011 RT-S (E) the dealer owner told me I was getting every dime back on the automatic. It may cost more up front but it all comes back when you trade.
ymmv of course, but I did very well on my trade in.

I wouldn't have anything but the SE. I just works so well for me.

rfm1992
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think it'll be an SE when I get one. :2thumbs:

Rick

daveinva
08-25-2011, 06:59 PM
I got my license in a trike class on a Spyder RT-S manual.

I bought an RS SE5.

That should tell you my opinion ;)

Honestly, price difference aside, my only concern with the SE5 was whether it would "disengage" me from the riding experience. I was disabused of that notion in my first dozen miles on the automatic. It shifts *faster* (paradoxically for those of us used to driving/riding standards), it's very smooth, and it's one less distraction from riding the Spyder in heavy traffic.

Yeah, it can be a bit quirky shifting at times, in particular if you don't keep the oil level up, but by and large, it's one of the more reliable parts of the Spyder, you won't find many owners with serious trouble with the SE5.

Believe me, it's good, and you won't regret it.

Cyclist922
08-25-2011, 07:24 PM
It's very much a personal call. After riding a Burgman scooter (totally auto) for a few years I just wanted to feel a shifter over my boot again. Next time, it might be the SE.

granpa in Cincy
08-26-2011, 05:37 AM
The SM leaves a black mark on my white sneakers. :shocked: :opps:

Bob Denman
08-26-2011, 06:39 AM
SE 5 here and glad that I've got it... :thumbup:

NancysToy
08-26-2011, 06:49 AM
I ride numerous machines, and I didn't want to have to think about another difference between them. I stuck with the clutch and manual shift to keep my life simpler. No problem with the SE concept, it is just not my choice.

Dragonrider
08-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Had a 09 RS SM5, and now have a '10 RT S SE5. Got the SE as part of the deal, and now prefer it.

Just put 1100 hard miles on the RT, without a hiccup, and will soon add another 2000 to the clock.