PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought . . .

Questions
08-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I've read/watched this forum for over a year. I read all the time "do this" and "do that" to fix "this or that." Lots of great information, but someone could "pull their hair out" trying to put all the info together.

Hobbies like RC Helicopters on their forums create "bibles" for different models of helis. I think it would be great if someone put together a "bible" for the RT where people could submit all the different solutions for different things like "limp home mode", "parking brake problems", etc. Also, include recommendations like checking the battery terminals, fuses and relays that most would not normally think of.

Sure would be nice to take a long a print out of this "bible" with you when you were on a trip, especially. Would reduce the stress!!

MouthPiece
08-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I've read/watched this forum for over a year. I read all the time "do this" and "do that" to fix "this or that." Lots of great information, but someone could "pull their hair out" trying to put all the info together.

Hobbies like RC Helicopters on their forums create "bibles" for different models of helis. I think it would be great if someone put together a "bible" for the RT where people could submit all the different solutions for different things like "limp home mode", "parking brake problems", etc. Also, include recommendations like checking the battery terminals, fuses and relays that most would not normally think of.

Sure would be nice to take a long a print out of this "bible" with you when you were on a trip, especially. Would reduce the stress!!

I agree except I personally would not be inclined to take something like that to my dealer and point it out to them. If I were the dealer or tech, I think I'd become a bit incensed. Let me put it another way. What I'd do is "ask the dealer" if this or that could be the cause of the problem knowing full well this was suggested here in this forum.

I do agree with you 100% that when people on this forum present an issue, that they need to be very specific and very articulate as to just what the issue is. It helps immensely to know what model spyder you're dealing with. It also helps to describe just what was happening when say "limp mode" exhibited itself.

Additionally, I'm a big advocate of "follow up" threads. Let us know how things turned out.

Chris

NancysToy
08-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Many issues on the Spyder can have similar symptoms, but a variety of causes, and more than one possible cure. It would be very hard to categorize them. As an example, "limp mode" can be triggered by anything from a bad sensor, to a steering failure, to a brake failure, to low oil, to a bad wiring harness, to holding your foot on the brake. The best way to sift through the possibilities is to look at the diagnostic code history. This has to be done through BUDS, for previously occurred codes. Only the dealer has BUDS. If you have problems, see your dealer and have him hook it up. Be very accurate and complete when telling him what problems you had. A list, or a guess, or someone else's symptoms will only confuse the issue. JMHO

boborgera
08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I've found, when I'm not too lazy to use it (which ain't often), the forum search feature helps you get tons of info and sometimes info you didn't even know you needed.

:thumbup::agree::thumbup:
Search is your friend.

canam9
08-22-2011, 07:03 PM
:thumbup::agree::thumbup:
Search is your friend.

:agree: :ani29:

gln2
08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I bought the service manual that is used to train service technicians on all spyders it comes in a CD and shows everything and I mean (EVERYTHING) about the spyders with photo,s and diagrams it's a very well put together manual and you can print pages at will. The cost was $20.00 free shipping. I think every spyder owner should own this CD. The web site is www.midwestmanuals.com (http://www.midwestmanuals.com) They have different CD's for each spyder. Mine is a 2010 RT-S

ARtraveler
08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
:agree: The search engine has been very helpful to me many times.

dadof4
08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
I bought the service manual that is used to train service technicians on all spyders it comes in a CD and shows everything and I mean (EVERYTHING) about the spyders with photo,s and diagrams it's a very well put together manual and you can print pages at will. The cost was $20.00 free shipping. I think every spyder owner should own this CD. The web site is www.midwestmanuals.com (http://www.midwestmanuals.com) They have different CD's for each spyder. Mine is a 2010 RT-S

I've decided to get the CD. From reading the posts on this forum it's clear individual dealers have different levels of expertise. The jury is still out on my dealer. After the dealer ordered my third frunk lid I learned, from this forum, the latch was adjustable. I repaired it myself but showed the tech what I had done. More recently, once again thanks to this forum, I was able to correct a "chirping on acceleration" issue. I will also share this fix with the tech. I think I'll send the dealer a link to Spyderlovers.com. With the Spyder being still in it's relative infancy, I'm sure my dealer has not run across many of the problems addressed here. Manuals are usually good at showing how to repair something, but not so great at telling what to repair.

niander99
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
. More recently, once again thanks to this forum, I was able to correct a "chirping on acceleration" issue. I will also share this fix with the tech.

What exactly did you do to correct this??? I have been fighting with my dealer back and forth now since the day I bought mine. All I get is this is normal and to enjoy my bike...

dadof4
08-22-2011, 11:34 PM
What exactly did you do to correct this??? I have been fighting with my dealer back and forth now since the day I bought mine. All I get is this is normal and to enjoy my bike...

It was my belt due to a loose rear wheel. See post #54 in this thread... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?27333-Do-all-SPYDERS-squeal-when-you-give-them-gas/page3.

Bob Denman
08-23-2011, 06:54 AM
While I agree that the "search" function can be useful, I have trouble separating out the "wheat from the chaff". I guess that I just have trouble defining what it is that I'm searching for and I end up inundated with possibilities... :shocked:

MouthPiece
08-23-2011, 07:04 AM
While I agree that the "search" function can be useful, I have trouble separating out the "wheat from the chaff". I guess that I just have trouble defining what it is that I'm searching for and I end up inundated with possibilities... :shocked:

My point exactly in specifically defining the issue and articulating the same.

Chris

Bob Denman
08-23-2011, 07:36 AM
I guess that we just have to learn to be more careful about what we ask for... :opps:

boborgera
08-23-2011, 08:12 AM
While I agree that the "search" function can be useful, I have trouble separating out the "wheat from the chaff". I guess that I just have trouble defining what it is that I'm searching for and I end up inundated with possibilities...

:shocked:

What else do you have to do in your spare time??:roflblack:;);)