PDA

View Full Version : Outside Temp Sensor

billythekidd
08-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Has anyone tried or figured out how to move the sensor so that it reads a little more accurate? Example; when I left for work it was 78 in my garage but outside temp was 59. I drove 20 minutes to work and the temp still said 72 again... it was much cooler outside. I would just like it to be a little more accurate. I was just thinking today that this machine is a marvel of technology, but the simple stuff like the temp sensor, or cb they can't seem to get figured out.

Willy

NancysToy
08-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Be careful if you experiment with this. The sensor is a combined temperature and air pressure sensor, and is used by the ECM in the fuel calculations. If you place the sensor directly in a high speed air stream, the pressure could read incorrectly, causing fuel mixture problems. Also, changing the wiring/connectors could cause a false reading, which could also cause problems. Not saying it can't be done, just saying there could be unforeseen consequences. Be prepared to change things back if it doesn't work out.

It is my belief that part of the difficulty with the readings, besides being trapped under the bodywork with the all the stagnant hot air, is infrequent updates of the reading. The computer apparently reads this interrupt at quite long intervals, making the reading change very slowly.

Spyder#353
08-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I always carry a jacket with me. Put your finger in your mouth take it out and wave your hand. If it feels cold put your jacket on. If it's to warm for a jacket try long sleeve shirt. I don't ever pay any attention to the abent temp. as long as it's not snowing I would always fine an excuse to ride.:ohyea:

ARtraveler
08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the great info Scotty. I am finding that mine reads about 5 degrees high from actual--but it does take a while to find the right temperature range.

billythekidd
08-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks Scotty,

With this new info, can you tell me that for example if I stop on a hot day and it is 95 or so, but the temp thing is saying 105 or so does the computer thinik it is hotter than it is and make adjustments to the operation of the engine until the range changes and gets to where it should be. If so it would explain why my MPG's change at different temps.

Willy

NancysToy
08-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks Scotty,

With this new info, can you tell me that for example if I stop on a hot day and it is 95 or so, but the temp thing is saying 105 or so does the computer thinik it is hotter than it is and make adjustments to the operation of the engine until the range changes and gets to where it should be. If so it would explain why my MPG's change at different temps.

Willy
As far as I know it does affect the fuel mixture, but not as much as you might think, and possibly not over the entire range of throttle settings and engine conditions. I don't know enough about the programming to pin it down further. The pressure sensor affects it more, from what I have noticed, but the same possible exclusions apply, plus it has the MAP sensor to help. I'm sure someone who understood modern fuel injection better, like HDX, could explain better. I'm afraid my roots were in the days of Amal Monobloc carbs.

billythekidd
08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks again .....

Very helpful... I think I will leave it alone.

Willy

Pennyrick
08-17-2011, 01:26 PM
We have learned to just subtract 7-8 degrees from the actual reading. Thus 102 is really mid-90's somewhere.

boborgera
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I always carry a jacket with me. Put your finger in your mouth take it out and wave your hand. If it feels cold put your jacket on. If it's to warm for a jacket try long sleeve shirt. I don't ever pay any attention to the abent temp. as long as it's not snowing I would always fine an excuse to ride.:ohyea:

If the finger freezes and snaps off ,Then plug in the heated jacket.:roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Perfect explanation of the proper way to figure what the temperature actually is! :2thumbs::clap:

Pandy
08-17-2011, 02:55 PM

So,how often does it snow in Lauderdale?:shocked: We were considering that for our Valentine's trip.

Patrick

thehawk
08-17-2011, 03:40 PM
... some really smart quip to insert here. But instead, I'm just trying to get my mind around the decision to give some arcane value of engine temperature to real estate on the operator's panel. And, obviously, it completely escapes me. So I'll just say I could better use a compass ... even if it was 5-7 degrees off:)

thehawk

billythekidd
08-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I was gonna say something smart, but was really only interested in a little more accuracy. As for riding never worry about temperature, and as for where to stick ones finger, again a personal preference.

Willy

NorthStar
08-17-2011, 04:14 PM
The ambient air temperature read out on the RT was designed to fool us guys from the great white north that late fall and early spring temperatures given by the weather people in the media are totally bogus. Although it might feel like -1C , a fully warmed up RT, running in the garage, will tell you that it is well above zero, so go ahead and ride!

In the summer month(s) when the RT tells you it is over 44C, it really doesn't matter since only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid day sun.