PDA

View Full Version : Meet, ride, & eat, Saturday August 27 in Hickory

SpyderDuck
08-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Hi all, because some of you have mentioned getting together again, and many of you are available August 27, I thought that perhaps we could get together in Hickory. Our friend Ltownblue has consented to be our ryde guide if we do this (he plans great rydes in the mountains). After the ryde, we could dine at Old German Schnitzel Haus, which was voted best German restaurant in the US in 2010 (can't remember the source for that). Here is a link to their site -

http://www.oldgermanschnitzelhaus.com/

So, who may be interested? So far, the weather seems to be in the high '80s for that day, and partly cloudy, but you know how dependable those long-range forecasts are, lol! Would you like to meet somewhere for an early lunch, take a long leisurely ryde, and then have dinner, like we did last time?

hevnbound
08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm in. ............ lass uns reiten und essen

Spyderjuice
08-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm in... :thumbup:

hevenbound, I'm redy to ride and eat. :2thumbs: I had to look that up.

Stan

Leslee
08-15-2011, 12:40 PM
It's a 3-hour ride for us to get there but my husband would like to go to the German restaurant so we would try to make it. I'm having some knee issues that we'll know more about Tues. This could prevent us from coming if I have to have surgery.

Since the restaurant is on the expensive side (for our dining budget), I would suggest meeting at a fast food restaurant and be ready to ride at whatever time it would take to be at the German restaurant when they open at 4:30. Set the departure time (and stick to it) at the meeting place. That way we could judge what time we need to be there to grab a quick breakfast/lunch before the ride. I suggested the 4:30 time so it wouldn't be as crowded, and, considering it could take close to 2 hours for dinner, it would be late for us and other distant riders to get back home.

I know there were folks who didn't go on the ride but came to lunch on July 30. So I know my suggestion may not meet the group's preference. ;)

fishcraz
08-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Could be interested....let me check with my riding partner and she what she thinks of the idea....

Duane

SpyderDuck
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
It's a 3-hour ride for us to get there but my husband would like to go to the German restaurant so we would try to make it. I'm having some knee issues that we'll know more about Tues. This could prevent us from coming if I have to have surgery.

Since the restaurant is on the expensive side (for our dining budget), I would suggest meeting at a fast food restaurant and be ready to ride at whatever time it would take to be at the German restaurant when they open at 4:30. Set the departure time (and stick to it) at the meeting place. That way we could judge what time we need to be there to grab a quick breakfast/lunch before the ride. I suggested the 4:30 time so it wouldn't be as crowded, and, considering it could take close to 2 hours for dinner, it would be late for us and other distant riders to get back home.

I know there were folks who didn't go on the ride but came to lunch on July 30. So I know my suggestion may not meet the group's preference. ;)

Actually, that makes a lot of sense - the German place is pricey for us, too. Ok, we'll meet at an inexpensive type of place for the ryde departure time, and whoever wants to meet and eat there can do so by coming a bit early; as a local, I won't have any trouble being there early to play hostess :thumbup: Then we'll get ourselves 'schnitzeled' at the end of the ryde. :yikes:

Sound good, folks?

Ltownblue
08-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks for putting this together Anita. I've got a great route in mind - mountains, curves, scenery, etc. - leave out early to beat the heat and the traffic - nothing like having a beautiful mountain road all to yourself, but we can definitely move the time for those coming from places far away. I will make it worth your while.

Leslee
08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Phooey, I'm going to have to miss this. Going to have minor surgery on my knee on the 24th. I doubt Ron will come without me--unless the German restaurant is too seductive for him. I hope you get some more people. Maybe without us coming from 3 hours away, your time will be more flexible. Next time!

johnnyg
08-16-2011, 05:16 PM
I wanna go :( but we live to far away.:sour: We would be cooked well done before we could get there in this heat 102 today running up I-75 at 4:00pm here in Ocala, FL. But you can bet the first time we get up that way we will definitely go there enjoy. :2thumbs:

SpyderDuck
08-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for putting this together Anita. I've got a great route in mind - mountains, curves, scenery, etc. - leave out early to beat the heat and the traffic - nothing like having a beautiful mountain road all to yourself, but we can definitely move the time for those coming from places far away. I will make it worth your while.

You always make it worthwhile! (trust me on that, folks!) I figured we would decide on meeting place and time depending on about how long a ryde you plan.

KipDM
08-17-2011, 02:41 AM
i work weekends :(
every fri, sat, and sun :(

if i can ever get a 'regular' job i will be bugging everyone for these all the time...til then, everyone have fun.

fishcraz
08-17-2011, 06:04 AM
We should be there....my wife and I. We live in Sherrills Ford, NC. Let us know the meeting place and
time. Should the weather turn out to be pretty hot that day, we will likely pass....I do not do good
in the heat. But looking forward to a good time and getting to meet fellow Spyder Lovers.

Duane

Ltownblue
08-17-2011, 01:57 PM
You always make it worthwhile! (trust me on that, folks!) I figured we would decide on meeting place and time depending on about how long a ryde you plan.

Thanks Anita - you're too kind. Methinks that we could do the Devil's Staircase to Double Island to BRP (Parkway, not Canada) to Diamondback to Lake James loop. We could probably all meet in Hickory or at that little breakfast place off of I40 in Morganton. After breakfast, we could move on to Marion to begin the loop. I think that I-40 is convenient for everyone, but if not, we can change plans and take 321N to Boone and ride some very nice roads up there. The nice thing about the Devil's Staircase route is that Blind Kenny and Donna will be there taking pics - so everyone can have a nice keepsake from the day's ride. I would think that if we can meet at around 8:30 or so for breakfast, then that would give us plenty of time for a nice ride and an early dinner. Suggestions anyone?

SpyderDuck
08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks Anita - you're too kind. Methinks that we could do the Devil's Staircase to Double Island to BRP (Parkway, not Canada) to Diamondback to Lake James loop. We could probably all meet in Hickory or at that little breakfast place off of I40 in Morganton. After breakfast, we could move on to Marion to begin the loop. I think that I-40 is convenient for everyone, but if not, we can change plans and take 321N to Boone and ride some very nice roads up there. The nice thing about the Devil's Staircase route is that Blind Kenny and Donna will be there taking pics - so everyone can have a nice keepsake from the day's ride. I would think that if we can meet at around 8:30 or so for breakfast, then that would give us plenty of time for a nice ride and an early dinner. Suggestions anyone?

YES! YES! YES!!!! I was hoping that's be the route you were thinking of! I had a great time when we rode it before!

And I'm not too kind; i call it like I see it, and you're brilliant at this stuff. Honestly folks, he's a great leader. He likes to take the curves fast, to keep the more daring interested, but always waits for everyone to catch up. Believe me, I know... I'm not too speedy myself. But he never makes you feel like you slow him down.

Sounds like a great plan to me; I only hope my back is well enough for me to ryde. If it isn't, I will at least dine with you guys, both times.

Ok, let's pick a solid time to begin the ryde; those who want to do breakfast can simply come earlier. I can't remember the name of the place or the exit number, so please fill everyone in.

And for those of you that are worried about heat - we are headed for the mountains, so it would be fairly comfortable, I think. It may be warm when we come back down, but the majority of the ryde should be nice, based on the latest forecast I saw for Hickory; a high of 88, but partly cloudy.

fishcraz
08-19-2011, 05:33 AM
Do we have a time and place of the meetup to start the ride? Looking for some details. Hope we have nice weather for it. It sounds great.

Thanks...Duane

Ltownblue
08-22-2011, 06:02 AM
I apologize - I've been out of pocket on my honeymoon for the past few days. If the weather holds out (darn Irene) and everyone is still good to go, let's try to meet at exit 100 (Jamestown Road) off of I-40 West at around 8:30 AM this Saturday, August 27th. When you come to the stop light off of the exit, go right and there is a little restaurant (waffle house or the likes) almost immediately on your left. If this is too early for our "far traveling" friends, then please let me know and we will change the time. Also, let me know if everyone wants to eat here, or eat prior to meeting so that there is more time for riding. I look forward to meeting everyone, and if you need to call me - 828-244-3520.

WackyDan
08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Count me in.... Should actually be able to make an NC ride finally!

Ltownblue
08-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Glad that you can make it Dan!

So, is everyone good with the meeting time and location?

Spyderjuice
08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm good to go. :2thumbs:

It looks like exit #100 is in Morganton, so I have 1 3/4 hours to get there. If you eat at 8:30, what time do you plan to leave for the ride? I would then try to meet you at that time, so I don't have to leave so early. However, I don't want my time to hold back any plans for the others. Just let me know what the time plan is about eating and leaving on the ride and I will try to fit into the plan. Looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time and other again.

Stan

Ltownblue
08-23-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm good to go. :2thumbs:

It looks like exit #100 is in Morganton, so I have 1 3/4 hours to get there. If you eat at 8:30, what time do you plan to leave for the ride? I would then try to meet you at that time, so I don't have to leave so early. However, I don't want my time to hold back any plans for the others. Just let me know what the time plan is about eating and leaving on the ride and I will try to fit into the plan. Looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time and other again.

Stan

We will meet / eat @ 8:30, and leave at 9. Let's hope irene stays out of the picture, but bring your raingear in case.

WackyDan
08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
We will meet / eat @ 8:30, and leave at 9. Let's hope irene stays out of the picture, but bring your raingear in case.

Looks like she is going to be more eastward than they had predicted yesterday... So barring any other weather patterns, I think we are on.

bruiser
08-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Waiting on Irene. If the current track holds, looks like there won't be much of anything west of Raleigh. I'm on standby for emergency response.

spyderwoman
08-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Jimmy and I hope to at least meet you guys for breakfast. We can't do the ride because of grandson's first football game and Jimmy's dad was just put in the hospital today but we at least want to make an effort to see you guys before you leave. We usually like to do all these meet and greet rides but as you know we've been thrown some major curve balls this summer. Just an update on our son and his wife-they are trying to make the best out of their tragedy by starting a non-profit organization in Rocklin's name. It is the Rocklin Pritchard foundation. They have already done 2 fund raisers for the following projects: 1. pay for swimming lessons for any 2 year olds one month every year at Valdese Recreation 2. Burke county has implemented a pay-to-play sports fee and the foundation is going to try to pay for students around the county 3. a bench will be put in Drexel Elementary's playground with his name on it and 4. They are helping Tumblemania start a program for moms and little ones while the older siblings are taking their lessons. We are going to get the Blue Knights Motorcycle Club (law enforcement motorcycle club) to sponsor a motorcycle poker run or rally for the foundation this fall. I will keep you posted on that.

Mrs Hobstoppe
08-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah yeah! Send me details pls @ heartlvrs@jesusanswers.com !!!

Ltownblue
08-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Will see everyone that's coming in the morning. Be careful and ride safe.

hevnbound
08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Here I sit at 11pm Friday evening - Spyder is clean with a full tank of gas - all is well - or so I thought!!

Just received a call that requires my presence in Greenville, SC tomorrow!! Bummer!

Be careful. Have fun.

Hopefully I can make it next time.

WackyDan
08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Weather looks good!

WackyDan
08-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Nick and Vicki,

Thanks for leading the ride Saturday. Had a real nice time and I hope I can get back out there sometime late next month.

Will have to look for you posting the picture from the overlook and catch us on blindkenny.com

Spyderjuice
08-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Nick and Vicky,

Thank you for leading the ride this past Saturday. I appreciate everone's patience with the "old" man bringing up the rear. I had a blast and enjoyed the great company. I'm looking forward to future rides. Vicky, I hope you are feeling much better. Hope the pictures you took turned out good. Want to see them as well as blindlarry's.

Stan

2Gunns
08-29-2011, 12:44 PM
I just got back in on Saturday, looks like I missed a good time.

Ltownblue
08-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Glad that everyone enjoyed the ride. Thanks again to SpyderDuck (Anita) for getting this together. Enjoyed meeting Stan, Rudy and Connie and getting to ride again with Dan and Anita. It was also great getting to have breakfast with Cindy and Jimmy. Can't wait until the next ride! By the way, photos should be posted on Blindkenny.com by Wednesday.... will keep everyone posted. Oh, and Vickie is feeling better.

Ltownblue
08-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Our pic from the Parkway: From left to right - Nick (Ltownblue), Dan (Wacky Dan), Rudy and Connie, Anita (SpyderDuck) and Stan (SpyderJuice)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31578&d=1314668961 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31578&d=1314668961)

Cal777
08-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Connie and I enjoyed meeting and riding with you all, and hope to do it again soon. If any of you are ever in our area, give us a call and we'll get together. Thanks for having us.
Rudy

Ltownblue
08-31-2011, 05:36 AM
Really enjoyed meeting you and Connie also, Rudy. We will do this again very soon. Here are the pics of our ride on the Devil's Staircase on the BlindKenny website. Vickie is such a card. :D

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=8188369&g=1VLV003508