PDA

View Full Version : Cheap mod for drink holder

stutzmason
08-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Everyone likes to Mod their rydes, and I am no different, however, I could not see spending20 to 60 dollars on a drink holder that I deemed a necessary addition to my Spyder. So here I am walking aroung walmart picking up a few things for my girl( industrial strength velcro to fix the trunk liner, loctite superglue to fix the weather stripping in the trunk ) and generally feeling a little down cuz a smart guy like myself can't figure out a cheaper way to put a drink holder on my bike, when it hits me, I had drink holders on my bicycles when I was a kid, so I head to the sporting goods section and find the bicycle accessories and what do you know, a drink holder that will not only go where I want it to go, it fits " my budget". Six dollars later and I have a functional drink holder that I can use and still afford that bottle of water to go in it.

The Zip ties in the pic are overkill, I just wanted to make sure it would not slide up or down on me as I am too lazy to move the resevoir to get the little rubber piece on the clamp.

Questions
08-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I like it.....thanks for the idea.

stutzmason
08-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks ... I like to use my mind creatively to overcome a problem like this .... plus with 2 sons in college and a daughter in high school .... every penny counts.

spyder-dude
08-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Or you could spend $9.76 including free shipping and get this one at Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NGD56G

Questions
08-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks ... I like to use my mind creatively to overcome a problem like this .... plus with 2 sons in college and a daughter in high school .... every penny counts.

I can almost feel your pain. I am retiring from the USAF in a few weeks and have 3 kids myself. Gotta find a job so they can continue to be spoiled brats!!

I do like the cupholder spyder-dude mentioned at amazon. It appears to be well made.

daveinva
08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Or you could spend $9.76 including free shipping and get this one at Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NGD56G

I have one of those... not 100% happy with it, when you have a drink in it (like a Gatorade bottle), mine doesn't like to stay on the bar without loosening a bit and rotating.

Alas, since I've put on risers, I don't have enough space on the bars any longer, so I have to figure out a different solution now.

stutzmason
08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
I can almost feel your pain. I am retiring from the USAF in a few weeks and have 3 kids myself. Gotta find a job so they can continue to be spoiled brats!!

I do like the cupholder spyder-dude mentioned at amazon. It appears to be well made.

I agree, it looks really well made and very versatile too. Might have to go that route when I look for a way to mount my iphone cheaply .... that way I can have my TomTom there for directions and to monitor calls and texts to see if anyone is trying to get ahold of me while I am out. (Disclaimer: I will always pull over and stop when I take a call or text when ryding, don't need to add to the bad statistics out there)

ThreeFeet
08-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Or you could spend $9.76 including free shipping and get this one at Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NGD56GDon't think this one would fit on the RT hangs too low and would hit the tupper ware on turns. And the clamp won't go arouond the handle bars. :(

stutzmason
08-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I have one of those... not 100% happy with it, when you have a drink in it (like a Gatorade bottle), mine doesn't like to stay on the bar without loosening a bit and rotating.

Alas, since I've put on risers, I don't have enough space on the bars any longer, so I have to figure out a different solution now.

Check the bicycle section at your local walmart ... several different choices all for about 6 bucks .... mine does not slide up or down ... however I did put white zip ties over the top and bottom just for extra protection from that slippage .... I didn't want to have to react to my drink slipping while ryding .... be sure to get one that will fit your water bottle or drink container requirements as well ... I usually carry only a 20ounce soda bottle or water bottle so for me this was like gold baby ... it will hold a medium size cup as well .... if you want to carry a canned soda you would have to wrap it with something as the can will fall through the bars.... btw .... the clamp is only about a 1/2 inch wide so there is plenty of room .... and no wobbling either

Kraut
08-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Everyone likes to Mod their rydes, and I am no different, however, I could not see spending20 to 60 dollars on a drink holder that I deemed a necessary addition to my Spyder. So here I am walking aroung walmart picking up a few things for my girl( industrial strength velcro to fix the trunk liner, loctite superglue to fix the weather stripping in the trunk ) and generally feeling a little down cuz a smart guy like myself can't figure out a cheaper way to put a drink holder on my bike, when it hits me, I had drink holders on my bicycles when I was a kid, so I head to the sporting goods section and find the bicycle accessories and what do you know, a drink holder that will not only go where I want it to go, it fits " my budget". Six dollars later and I have a functional drink holder that I can use and still afford that bottle of water to go in it.

The Zip ties in the pic are overkill, I just wanted to make sure it would not slide up or down on me as I am too lazy to move the resevoir to get the little rubber piece on the clamp.
Oh Man! I love it! Jealous for not thinking this up on my own, but love it-And it works great!

Lamonster
08-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Did the same thing in 2009 on my cross country trip on the RS. Picked it up at a bike shop near Sturgis, still works great. :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14757&d=1234480036 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2&attachmentid=14503)

boborgera
08-16-2011, 08:11 AM
I have one attached to the roll bar on my Rhino, Great for water bottles,:thumbup::thumbup:

mainah
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I have the one from Amazon but got it somewhere else for a lower cost. Google is wonderful! Also put a small strip of soft rubber under the clamp and it will stay put and not roll with the weight of the drink.:2thumbs: