PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on specific Rain Gear

GASpyderLady
08-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Would like opinions on types of rain gear - including brand names. In my case, 5'4" but in general what would you suggest for a standard to keep in the Spyder? I know gear should have elastic but what else? I have looked at the Can Am catalog and they have a rain jacket for $120 and rain pants for $80. Do I need to send $200 or have you found better options? The guys opinions are more than welcome.

ThreeFeet
08-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Would like opinions on types of rain gear - including brand names. In my case, 5'4" but in general what would you suggest for a standard to keep in the Spyder? I know gear should have elastic but what else? I have looked at the Can Am catalog and they have a rain jacket for $120 and rain pants for $80. Do I need to send $200 or have you found better options? The guys opinions are more than welcome. you can go to Frogg Toggs.com and get REALLY good rain gear for about 60 to 80 dollars( I think). I just looked em up as I have managed to lose my pants and the bag they come in or somebody swiped em, so I need a new pair. They have really neat colors for us women. I got the mens the last time as I figured the wms was too small for my fat tush. And I was right. But the mens run BIG and the wms run to the small side. Good luck on your choice. I never got wet with my Frogg toggs, even in an outright downpour of huricane proportions.:2thumbs:

ARtraveler
08-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I am a proponent of First Gear Textiles. They have liners for cold weather, you can open vents for warmer weather, and they keep you very dry.

I also have one pair of RevIt manufactured leather with rain liner.

I have driven many miles in the rain--and have never been soaked through the rain gear.

Waterproof Sidi boots are also on the menu.

ThreeWheels
08-11-2011, 01:19 AM
I got myself a set of two piece raingear years ago. I've been very happy with the quality.

http://motodirect.com/product/173_175-Two-Piece-Rain-Suit/1753-Nelson-Rigg-Nelson-Rigg-Rain-Suits-Stormrider-SR-6000-Yellow-Two-Piece-Biker-Rain-Gear.html

I've occasionally used the pants in cooler weather as overpants for warmth, because they help block the wind, but only good down to about 40.

spyder-dude
08-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Don't buy the cheap frogg toggs as they just dont work in down poor rain. I bought their Horny Toadz rainsuit and have been very happy with them:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/33698/ITEM/Frogg-Toggs-Horny-Toadz-Rainsuit.aspx

NancysToy
08-11-2011, 07:52 AM
The choice of raingear seems to be as personal as the subject of seats, oil, and gasoline octane. A lot depends on your needs, and how heavy of a rain you ride in. A monsoon challenger will need more that the person that gets caught in an occasional sprinkle. Here's what I look for in raingear. It has been challenge to find it all in one suit. You do the best you can. I look for:

1. A good, long overlap on the front rain gusset. The back fold should come almost to the velcro. Short folds are hard to get folded correctly (and dry), and leak in a minor rain.
2. A tight-fitting neck and a velcro neck fastener with good adjustment. Rain coming in the neck is a common cause of leakage. I also prefer velcro wrist closures.
3. A hood. This is a mixed blessing, because it slows you down when you have to take off your helmet to put it on, but it keeps the rain out of the back of your neck (especially important if you ride an RT). An alternative is an extra long neck that can tuck inside your helmet. Having a hood makes a velco neck closre less important.
4. Leg stirrups. I have long legs, and if the pants ride up, I get wet ankles.
5. Full length front velcro. Snaps or individual velcro patches leave gaps, that allow the rain flap to gap open, and allow more water to enter to challenge the rain flap.
6. Ease of entry. Be sure you can get the suit on over your road gear. You will look like an idiot, wearing your riding suit and boots as you try the rainsuit on in the store, but do it! If you can't get it on without help, or have to sit down and struggle, it will do no good on the road. It is a balancing act between ease of entry and snug fit.
7. Snug fit. The more folds and overlaps in your rainsuit, the more likely water is to enter. Some folds are inevitable. If possible, be sure to arrange them below the crotch gusset and fold them so they don't collect water. You have to do this each time you mount the vehicle. The more snug the fit, the less you have to worry about folds. Waist elastic can be a help.
8. Adequate length, especially in the arms. When you try the suit on, be sure to test how it fits in riding position (with your heaviest riding gear on). The arms need to be long enough, especially when you turn your Spyder.
9. Visibility. Reflective piping or patches are a must for me...the more the better. I like reflective patches on the calves and arms, as well as the front and back. I also prefer the bright colored suits. Visibility in the rain is worse, and nobody expects to see a bike. I want to live long enough to tell people about the horrible rainstorm I rode through.
10. Bib overall pants would be good. I have not found a motorcycle suit with this feature, although sailing suits often have them. Call this a wish list.
11. Sealed seams. This is taken for granted, but cheap suits often don't have sealed and taped seams. You will need them in heavy rain, or if your seat is dished.

I also recommend overboots to keep the rain off your footwear and your ankles. These neatly fill the gap down there, and make leg length and stirrups less critical. Tall, waterproof riding boots are a good alternative. I also recommend overgloves or waterproof gauntlet gloves. In a pinch, a large pair of dishwashing gloves can serve as overgloves. If the weather is warm, and you have no overgloves, remember that deerskin will not harden excessively when it dries, and deerskin gloves don't shrink as badly when they dry. I use cheap, deerskin work gloves and they last through rainstorm after rainstorm. This doesn't work in cold weather...your hands will get soaked!

The best suits on the market right now, for me at least, are the BMW one-piece suit, and the best Harley-Davidson suit. The Tourmaster Elite isn't bad, but it is too loose for me. The Frogg Toggs have a huge, unadjustable neck, so I have always skipped them, but they do have a hood. They are also too loose for me, and have elastic sleeves. As I said...personal preferences. This should give you some idea about features to evaluate for your needs, and to compare. I believe the money spent on a good suit pays. Don't let your pocketbook be your only guide, but also remember that the most expensive suit may not be the best one for you, either.

mooneych
08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
:agree: w/ Scotty. I have a pair of Frog Toggs for light rain, and Nelson Rigg for the heavy stuff. Both take up little room.

dave01
08-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Frogg-Toggettes?

AndyIsRiding
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
we used FroggToggs during the monsoon in the Adirondacks, my back got wet because I forgot to tighten the neckstap and water ran off the helmet down the back of my neck, my backseat chauffeur/owner/boss closed hers and she staid dry.

GASpyderLady
08-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Great ideas above - just what I expected from Spyder ryders. Thank you. Dollars are not the primary consideration but a factor to be considered (buying two). I will have to find some in my area to try on with my summer jacket - need to get a winter jacket also ... So many Wants - So little disposable income.....

GASpyderLady
08-11-2011, 12:50 PM
The choice of raingear seems to be as personal as the subject of seats, oil, and gasoline octane. A lot depends on your needs, and how heavy of a rain you ride in. A monsoon challenger will need more that the person that gets caught in an occasional sprinkle. Here's what I look for in raingear. It has been challenge to find it all in one suit. You do the best you can. I look for:

1. A good, long overlap on the front rain gusset. The back fold should come almost to the velcro. Short folds are hard to get folded correctly (and dry), and leak in a minor rain.
2. A tight-fitting neck and a velcro neck fastener with good adjustment. Rain coming in the neck is a common cause of leakage. I also prefer velcro wrist closures.
3. A hood. This is a mixed blessing, because it slows you down when you have to take off your helmet to put it on, but it keeps the rain out of the back of your neck (especially important if you ride an RT). An alternative is an extra long neck that can tuck inside your helmet. Having a hood makes a velco neck closre less important.
4. Leg stirrups. I have long legs, and if the pants ride up, I get wet ankles.
5. Full length front velcro. Snaps or individual velcro patches leave gaps, that allow the rain flap to gap open, and allow more water to enter to challenge the rain flap.
6. Ease of entry. Be sure you can get the suit on over your road gear. You will look like an idiot, wearing your riding suit and boots as you try the rainsuit on in the store, but do it! If you can't get it on without help, or have to sit down and struggle, it will do no good on the road. It is a balancing act between ease of entry and snug fit.
7. Snug fit. The more folds and overlaps in your rainsuit, the more likely water is to enter. Some folds are inevitable. If possible, be sure to arrange them below the crotch gusset and fold them so they don't collect water. You have to do this each time you mount the vehicle. The more snug the fit, the less you have to worry about folds. Waist elastic can be a help.
8. Adequate length, especially in the arms. When you try the suit on, be sure to test how it fits in riding position (with your heaviest riding gear on). The arms need to be long enough, especially when you turn your Spyder.
9. Visibility. Reflective piping or patches are a must for me...the more the better. I like reflective patches on the calves and arms, as well as the front and back. I also prefer the bright colored suits. Visibility in the rain is worse, and nobody expects to see a bike. I want to live long enough to tell people about the horrible rainstorm I rode through.
10. Bib overall pants would be good. I have not found a motorcycle suit with this feature, although sailing suits often have them. Call this a wish list.
11. Sealed seams. This is taken for granted, but cheap suits often don't have sealed and taped seams. You will need them in heavy rain, or if your seat is dished.

I also recommend overboots to keep the rain off your footwear and your ankles. These neatly fill the gap down there, and make leg length and stirrups less critical. Tall, waterproof riding boots are a good alternative. I also recommend overgloves or waterproof gauntlet gloves. In a pinch, a large pair of dishwashing gloves can serve as overgloves. If the weather is warm, and you have no overgloves, remember that deerskin will not harden excessively when it dries, and deerskin gloves don't shrink as badly when they dry. I use cheap, deerskin work gloves and they last through rainstorm after rainstorm. This doesn't work in cold weather...your hands will get soaked!

The best suits on the market right now, for me at least, are the BMW one-piece suit, and the best Harley-Davidson suit. The Tourmaster Elite isn't bad, but it is too loose for me. The Frogg Toggs have a huge, unadjustable neck, so I have always skipped them, but they do have a hood. They are also too loose for me, and have elastic sleeves. As I said...personal preferences. This should give you some idea about features to evaluate for your needs, and to compare. I believe the money spent on a good suit pays. Don't let your pocketbook be your only guide, but also remember that the most expensive suit may not be the best one for you, either.

Thank you -

MangoMike
08-13-2011, 11:05 PM
I'll add a vote for Frogg Toggs. I have ridden for hours on very heavy rain and they have never leaked. The newer version (Road Toads, I think) are more rugged and built for bikers. My personal experience with Frogg Toggs has been fantastic. One added benefit is they are made of GoreTex and breath, unlike plastic suits. And, at only about $80 a pair, they are easy to replace.

Mike

Bootie
08-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I consider Frog Toggs disposable, that way I am not surprised or disappointed when they fall apart in a strong wind or heavy rain.:roflblack:
Right now I am using a Tour Master Rainsuit which cost about $69 but seems to last longer than the Frog Toggs.
So far, I haven't found anything that works in one of them thar heavy rains that Lamonster threw at us down there in Tennessee.;)

effgjamis
08-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I consider Frog Toggs disposable, that way I am not surprised or disappointed when they fall apart in a strong wind or heavy rain.:roflblack:
Right now I am using a Tour Master Rainsuit which cost about $69 but seems to last longer than the Frog Toggs.
So far, I haven't found anything that works in one of them thar heavy rains that Lamonster threw at us down there in Tennessee.;)

Come on down to Florida where the Liquid Sunshine is... You might want to bring the heavy duty rain gear.. Unless of course you are brave enought to ride as Lady Godiva rides.:roflblack:

I like the tourmaster 2 piece but I like even better the BRP 1 piece if it is not hot weather.

woodchuck
08-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Would like opinions on types of rain gear - including brand names. In my case, 5'4" but in general what would you suggest for a standard to keep in the Spyder? I know gear should have elastic but what else? I have looked at the Can Am catalog and they have a rain jacket for $120 and rain pants for $80. Do I need to send $200 or have you found better options? The guys opinions are more than welcome.

I have purchased afew items from LeatherUp.com. If you want to purchase anything from them, use this code for a 10% discount:clap:. The code is 55633. Good luck

Slybird
08-17-2011, 11:36 PM
you can go to Frogg Toggs.com and get REALLY good rain gear for about 60 to 80 dollars( I think). I just looked em up as I have managed to lose my pants and the bag they come in or somebody swiped em, so I need a new pair. They have really neat colors for us women. I got the mens the last time as I figured the wms was too small for my fat tush. And I was right. But the mens run BIG and the wms run to the small side. Good luck on your choice. I never got wet with my Frogg toggs, even in an outright downpour of huricane proportions.:2thumbs:

I totally agree about the quality of Frogg Toggs! :2thumbs: Living in the Great NorthWest, we get our fair share of rain and Frogg Toggs are up to the task. Try 'em, you'll like 'em! I have the "Hogg Toggs" version - every durable. I've had them for over two years and they're holding up just fine. Excellent investment!! :ohyea::yes::ohyea:

klw
08-18-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree with Scotty :D I wear a 2 pc suite from Harley..... Velcro closure around wrist and ankles along
with straps under boots, Reflective markings (very important) also came with shoe coverings (never used)
able to get to pants pockets with no trouble. Rode 700 miles home in rain and happy with staying dry.

I need to get something water proof for my hands. I carry extra gloves ...nothing worse than wet gloves in the colder temps. Got caught in thunder storm today and I'm wearing black dye on my hands from my
gloves. Any suggestions ???

DocRags
08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I agree with Scotty :D I wear a 2 pc suite from Harley..... Velcro closure around wrist and ankles along
with straps under boots, Reflective markings (very important) also came with shoe coverings (never used)
able to get to pants pockets with no trouble. Rode 700 miles home in rain and happy with staying dry.

I need to get something water proof for my hands. I carry extra gloves ...nothing worse than wet gloves in the colder temps. Got caught in thunder storm today and I'm wearing black dye on my hands from my
gloves. Any suggestions ??? If you soak your gloves overnight, then dry them out (air-dry, and try on occasionally while drying to make sure they still fit) you will eliminate the black hands. Of course, now that you've already HAD the black hands they probably won't discolor your hands again! :roflblack: