PDA

View Full Version : A New Mission for Phantom 14...

Raptor
08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
As many of you know, I bought a new bike a little over a month ago. I am so enamered with the new Suzuki that I have not been able to get off of it. Got 3800 miles on already and she's been absolutely flawless. I've been keeping 14 up by starting her up and taking her around the block every so often so she doesn't rot, but that's all. It's been all about the new kid.

So the other day I decided to get on 14 and really ride it. Wow. I couldn't believe the difference in performance, handling, everything. I was completely disappointed. When I got back home I covered it up and started thinking. Maybe I should just dump this thing. And then it hit me; ya dummy, you can't compare the two machines! The Spyder will never measure up to the FA. So I now had two choices; dump Phantom 14, or change it's mission.

I decided that I have to change the way I think of Phantom 14. I have been trying to make it a performance machine. But the fact is, it's never going to be that. It's just not capable of it without massive modification, and even then it's not going to cut it. Besides, I now have a machine that is a true performance monster, so 14 doesn't need to be! So I'm changing it's mission.

I'm going to pull the batwing off and put the touring shield and a set of deflectors on, soften the suspension considerably so it will provide a much better ride, pull that POS Hindle off and put the stock can back on to quiet her down and just use her like a nice gentle cruising machine that I can ride with Kath when we go out riding together and for foul weather riding so I can properly leverage all of those saftey controls. I think that by doing this 14 will last longer, won't break as much and I'll have 2 unique rides that will provide unique experiences.

We'll see how it all works out, but I feel this is the right approach to take. Time to roll up the sleeves and get started! That is, if I can ever get off this FA long enough to do it!

Bob Denman
08-11-2011, 06:43 AM
It's always exciting when a new project pops up over the horizon. ;) Phantom 14 will still be there and ready to carry out whatever mission you deem necessary when called upon. :thumbup:
So relax and enjoy the new ride! :2thumbs:

Raptor
08-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Bob. after I got home from work yesterday I decided to put the FA to bed for the evening and jump on the Spyder for an assessment cruise. I felt like the last ride was not a good benchmark because A) 14 had not been ridden in a while and I noticed that she needs a little time to "get right" after sitting a while. I never noticed this behavior before because I was riding it every day and B) I was not in the right frame of mind. It's a strange transition when you jump off a bike and then get on a Spyder. I kept grabbing for the front brake, suspension feel was weird, steering was awful. it's just a different animal and I got frustrated.

This time I uncovered her, Swapped shields real quick, mounted up, re-aquainted myself with all of the controls, took a deep cleansing breath, and started her up. Immediately she sounded better because she had been ridden not long ago. And I do like that Hindle sound. Not the nasty rattling of loose rivets, mind you, but the the exhaust note. I'm not sure my neighbors share the same opinion though! :roflblack: So right there I'm thinking that perhaps I can save this Hindle, or at least try. If the results come out poorly I always have the stock can. But I'm not going to do that right off.

I put her in gear and just said to myself "Self, just relax, ride it and see how it goes". I went into a parking lot and did full-lock circles in both directions and then did some figure eights. This calmed the DPS down significantly so steering was much better. And ya know what? I had a great time! I was just riding along, enjoying the view, and feeling what I was getting input wise from the machine. I had to get used to all the looks from the cars again. The riders though pretty much snubbed me! When I'm on the FA it's just the opposite! It was like some weird social studies eperiment! :)

I ended up putting about 75 miles on, and when I got home my thinking on this subject of the Spyder was fresh and new. I'm definitely keeping it. I do need to make some further adjustments and such, but now I have a firm list of things I need to do. Pretty much what I said before with a few additions. The biggest thing is going to be dialing back the suspension. Way too stiff now. Gotta make her glide a little better for the kind of riding I now plan to do. I don't want that roll to start again either, so I have to be careful not to go too far. But I have enough adjustability in it do find that good balance. Gotta tweak the belt tensioner as well. I think I went just a bit conservative on the initial setup. Still getting some belt harmonics.

Anyway, I'm excited about the project and I think the payoff will be big. 14 is back in, baby!

Tiny1
08-12-2011, 02:29 PM
:clap::2thumbs:

Motavar
08-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Did you bling her out yet? Phantom needs lights and tunes...

ARtraveler
08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
:2thumbs: keep us posted.

Firefly
08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I had no idea what a suzuki FA was-- so I googled it and came up with this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Suzuki+fa&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Qb5&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=C_tLToL3Mu-CsALy-KXUCA&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1363&bih=884

:roflblack:

If that can beat your Spyder then you must have Spyder stuck in reverse.... :roflblack:

But ride what you like------ :D:roflblack:30681

boborgera
08-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I had no idea what a suzuki FA was-- so I googled it and came up with this:

GSX 1250 Fa, :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-17-2011, 01:57 PM
...14 is back in, baby!

Now that's what we like to hear! :2thumbs::clap::thumbup:

spydee owner
08-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Nice ride!! Like that it has the center stand and the water to oil heat exchanger. Very nice.