PDA

View Full Version : Ryding at night - lower headlights?

Toxziq
08-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I've been ryding after dark recently a bit and I've had a terrible time with people flashing me thinking my birghts are on. Some have been rude enough to do it right when they are on top of me. I've flashed back anyone who flashes me letting them know that the norm is pretty high as is, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for lowering the pitch somehow to just a bit lower...

Anyone else having this issue?

Nikon
08-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I've been ryding after dark recently a bit and I've had a terrible time with people flashing me thinking my birghts are on. Some have been rude enough to do it right when they are on top of me. I've flashed back anyone who flashes me letting them know that the norm is pretty high as is, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for lowering the pitch somehow to just a bit lower...

I have the same problem. Took it to the dealer for my 600 mile inspection. The dealer checked it out and i was told the lights were aligned properly. I live with it now.

boborgera
08-09-2011, 09:23 PM

Had the same problem [people flashing] When i first got the Spyder 3 years ago, I just adjusted them lower. Problem solved.
Word of advice ,Be Careful one night you just might flash back to the wrong person'.:shocked:

Toxziq
08-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm worried about. How'd you lower them? (Keep in mind, I'm pretty mechanically declined).

boborgera
08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm worried about. How'd you lower them? (Keep in mind, I'm pretty mechanically declined).

It will explain how to do it in the manual that comes with your Spyder,
It's a simple adjustment.:thumbup:

jedd
08-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Read your owners manual, do it yourself with a mark on the wall follow the manual and it will solve your issue. Keep in mind that riding 2-up will raise light from your setting too.

Jim:thumbup:

bone crusher
08-10-2011, 12:11 AM
You need a very long screw driver...phillips, I believe...you put the screwdriver in below the light area and adjust accordingly...remember that you need to be about 20 feet from a wall to get an accurate depiction as to where your headlights are going to point...

Questions
08-10-2011, 04:35 AM
Haven't had the problem of being flashed at and I'm running the XenonDepot HID 4300K lights along with TricLED ringlights and Clearwater LED Glenda road lights.

I think you may have answered the question I was going to ask. Has anyone else noticed a difference in vehicle responses after switching to HID's? I notice that when riding behind a car, they will flash their tail lights at me repeatedly, or move into another lane. I still have the stock lights, but will be going HID's soon.

kman
08-10-2011, 04:53 AM
I have the opposite problem,I can ride with my high beams on and no one flashes me.I think I will check my lights.

Weave2u
08-10-2011, 09:48 PM

I get it all the time. I keep telling myself I'll adjust them, LOL, but haven't done it yet.

Y Rider
08-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I have been getting flashed a few times now after I had the Elka shocks installed. Wonder if that changed the alignment. According to the shop manual you need to park the Spyder 33' from a wall. Then on the wall place a mark at 25.3" and 28.8". Reduce the rear suspension air pressure using the schrader valve to 0 PSI. Your bightest spot of the low beam should fall between the 2 marks. I'll check this out this weekend.

bone crusher
08-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I have been getting flashed a few times now after I had the Elka shocks installed. Wonder if that changed the alignment. According to the shop manual you need to park the Spyder 33' from a wall. Then on the wall place a mark at 25.3" and 28.8". Reduce the rear suspension air pressure using the schrader valve to 0 PSI. Your bightest spot of the low beam should fall between the 2 marks. I'll check this out this weekend.

Geeez....way too complex to align your lights...may be easier to just put your bike 20 feet from a wall and sit on it...adjust accordingly...

NancysToy
08-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Geeez....way too complex to align your lights...may be easier to just put your bike 20 feet from a wall and sit on it...adjust accordingly...
:agree: Few of us have the luxury of a level surface some 40 feet long, with a wall at the end. I don't even go as far as the 20 feet. I shine my lights on the (nearby) garage door, and just adjust one down or up a couple of inches visibly from the other, then adjust the second to match the first. On the road, I make sure the low beam will reflect off the license plate and trunk of a car a reasonable distance ahead, but not shine in his window. Sort of a trial-and-error method, but it works well for me.

I also use high beams in the daytime to minimize the flashing effect of the projector lenses, as I hit bumps. This is a common thing. I just watched an SUV with projector lenses look like it had alternating, modulating headlights as it was coming at me in broad daylight yesterday. When he got off the little grade he was on, the effect disappeared. Frankly, I don't give a rip if folks flash me, or pull over. That means they noticed me, and as with modulating headlights, that is a good thing.