PDA

View Full Version : Helmets..........

Rayelljay
08-09-2011, 09:03 PM
A couple of days ago I was reminded "....when are you going to take me out on the Spyder...?" and so it prompted me to go helmet shopping.
For all my years riding leaners I'd preferred full face gear the helmet I got when I got my Spyder was an open face "just for a change and a try." Lady and I have same head size so I was leaning toward returning to a full face.
I'd been experiencing a lot of buffetting and neck discomfort with the constant head movement ever since Spyder was born.
Long story short....bought a full face and noticed the difference immediately I got back on the highway. Until then I'd been limited to about 70 for short runs but I was cruising at around that same speed with no discomfort.

Anyone care to comment....?

SpyderAnn01
08-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Do you have the RS or RT? I wear a modular helmet and when I rode a RS/GS with the stock windshield I did notice a lot of buffeting and head bobbing. With a taller windshield that went away. On my RT I usually ride with the windshield up about 1 - 1 1/2" which for me is the point where I don't get any helmet rattle. Sometimes after a long day of riding 400 + miles I will feel sore at the base of my neck but I attribute this to the weight of the helmet combined with my posture/riding position.

Rayelljay
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Do you have the RS or RT? I wear a modular helmet and when I rode a RS/GS with the stock windshield I did notice a lot of buffeting and head bobbing. With a taller windshield that went away. On my RT I usually ride with the windshield up about 1 - 1 1/2" which for me is the point where I don't get any helmet rattle. Sometimes after a long day of riding 400 + miles I will feel sore at the base of my neck but I attribute this to the weight of the helmet combined with my posture/riding position.

I have an '11 RS bog standard, born three months ago.

I've been shopping for a windshield upgrade but some prices are outa sight.......for a piece of vacuum formed polycarbonite near $400 from the dealer. Been looking at risers too.

I ride on "tip-toe" more in the "sport bike" attitude and I think that the risers will better my posture for longer distances.
With funds being what they are, the better helmet is the first step....I think the risers are next.

Gonna be a nice day tomorrow...
Lived in Mount Pleasant for a wee while some years ago....nice riding.

CanAmMick
08-10-2011, 12:09 AM
I have an '11 RS bog standard, born three months ago.

I've been shopping for a windshield upgrade but some prices are outa sight.......for a piece of vacuum formed polycarbonite near $400 from the dealer. Been looking at risers too.

I ride on "tip-toe" more in the "sport bike" attitude and I think that the risers will better my posture for longer distances.
With funds being what they are, the better helmet is the first step....I think the risers are next.

Gonna be a nice day tomorrow...
Lived in Mount Pleasant for a wee while some years ago....nice riding.

If you ever get to come over my way (Hendersonville) be sure to let me know. We can always hit the parkway and go for a ride.......