PDA

View Full Version : Who here has installed KewlMetal Adjustable Risers?

daveinva
08-09-2011, 07:43 PM
I think I made a major discovery today, but I need some confirmation please...

For those who've seen my thread, I recently installed the 4.5" ESI Easy Risers on my Spyder, and had tons of trouble finding enough slack in my cables, particularly the lefthand cable.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31158-ESI-Easy-Risers-and-the-nightmare-of-cable-slack

With my Spyder now at the dealer for who-knows-how-long, once I get it back I'm contemplating swapping out my Easy Risers for other risers-- perhaps the 3" ESI Risers, or even the KewlMetal adjustable risers. Anything to feel more comfortable with the amount of slack I have in my cables.

Now, I've seen the KewlMetal risers before, but today was the first time I checked out the *instructions* for installing them.

Take a moment and compare the instructions for the Easy Risers:

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spydereasyrisers.pdf

... and the KewlMetal risers:

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/download/pdf/Spyder-Risers.pdf

Notice anything different? (Hint: See figure 11 on the KewlMetal instructions)

So, long intro short: to those who have installed the KewlMetal risers, did you find a twist-tie in the location behind the frunk? If so, did cutting it give you needed slack?

Following the ESI Easy Risers instructions, not to mention the great-but-ultimately-unhelpful advise of my fellow Spyderlovers, I sure as heck couldn't find that tie deep under the panels. But my guess is that lower tie is right there, accessible behind the frunk, just as the *KewlMetal* instructions point out. Sure wish I had known that before I dropped off the Spyder at the dealer.
:gaah:
Anyway, I've already let my dealer know that there's likely still a twist-tie down under the panels, but thanks to the KewlMetal instructions, I wonder if I can now point out to them where it actually is?

boborgera
08-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Anyway, I've already let my dealer know that there's likely still a twist-tie down under the panels, but thanks to the KewlMetal instructions, I wonder if I can now point out to them where it actually is?[/QUOTE]

:shocked:
I've said this this a few times before , Here gos again, The zip ties are not ALWAYS installed in the same spot from the factory'
When i put my 3'' Kewlmetal on the zip ties were NOT in the spot the instructions show.
It's not rocket science just tell them to follow the cables from top to bottom.

bjt
08-09-2011, 08:45 PM
I've said this this a few times before , Here gos again, The zip ties are not ALWAYS installed in the same spot from the factory. When I put my 3'' Kewlmetal on the zip ties were NOT in the spot the instructions show. It's not rocket science just tell them to follow the cables from top to bottom.

:agree: Between mine and my wife's 2008 GS Spyders, the zip ties were not in the same place nor were the same number of ties used on any particular stretch of cable.

daveinva
08-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Anyway, I've already let my dealer know that there's likely still a twist-tie down under the panels, but thanks to the KewlMetal instructions, I wonder if I can now point out to them where it actually is?

:shocked:
I've said this this a few times before , Here gos again, The zip ties are not ALWAYS installed in the same spot from the factory'
When i put my 3'' Kewlmetal on the zip ties were NOT in the spot the instructions show.
It's not rocket science just tell them to follow the cables from top to bottom.

I know you have Bob, I get that, I'm not trying to be rude by asking the question again, I genuinely appreciate the help! :2thumbs:

What was new to me today was the specific example shown in the KewlMetal instructions that was absent in the ESI instructions, that is, that you could potentially spot the tie by removing that fuse/coolant cover behind the frunk. I had all the other front panels off my Spyder and I just couldn't find another tie, but I didn't know to look *there*, and now I'm wondering/paranoid if that was an "aha!" spot that I overlooked.

I wish I had my Spyder in front of me, I'd check it myself. Sadly, I don't, and like I mentioned in the other thread, my dealer (NOT the Spyder tech, but the main service tech) was quite skeptical that ANY slack could be found in the cables-- that is, he clearly gave the impression that he was surprised that anyone would install an aftermarket riser like we do (I don't fault this guy for being unfamiliar with what's available out there aftermarket for the Spyder... it was just getting frustrating in explaining to him what to explain to his Spyder tech, who I'm assuming/hoping might have a better understanding of what's going on there).

Anyway, I'm probably going to head out to the dealership tomorrow, it's close by, and see if I can get two minutes with their Spyder tech to explain the situation better, and maybe share with him the KewlMetal instructions too (I already gave them the ESI instructions).

wolfee
08-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I to had problems finding that tie. But I found behind the instrument cluster and had to reach to get to it. Bill

NancysToy
08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Nancy's Spyder had an additional tie, and hers did not match the instructions, either. As was said, you follow the cables for their entire length. Hers also had to be disconnected and rerouted to get enough slack.

boborgera
08-09-2011, 09:54 PM
I know you have Bob, I get that, I'm not trying to be rude by asking the question again, I genuinely appreciate the help! :2thumbs:

I know you weren't trying to be rude, Let me apologize to you for making you think that i was thinking you were rude when you weren't thinking that at all.
:thumbup: When you go back to your dealer print out these post,s and show it to them,
That will probably will be a wast of time because most dealers don't want to take advice from Forums.:dontknow: