PDA

View Full Version : How to do YOU get on to your Spyder?

Sopher
08-09-2011, 03:17 PM
How do YOU mount your Spyder?

Always from the LEFT side?

Always from the RIGHT side?

Varies?

No real reason for the poll... just curious... Does superstition cause you to get on your Ryde the same way all the time? Habbit? Dont really care?

jvicker
08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I just thought of this yesterday. I can see if others came from years of two wheeled rides, that habit would make them always mount the spyder from the left. I haven't been on a bike in 30 years. Yet I still mount the spyder from the left. I use to race BMX bikes as a kid and remember always getting on from the left side.( no kick stand, always laid bike down). Is it because I'm right handed? I'm curious that if there are any right sided mounters, if they are left handed.:dontknow:

bjt
08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I voted always on the left as it just feels right. I've gotten on it a couple of times from the right but it feels awkward.

Motavar
08-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Usually from the left due to the parking brake location.
Also, due to the way I store things in the RS Frunk I always put stuff in the left side.

So I approach from the left, open the frunk, pull out gloves, take off parking brake, hop on from the left.

Why do you ask? Is there someone that gets on via BackFlip or something?

No 2817
08-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Since most of us are Ex-two wheeler riders; the kick stand is always on the left. No other reason then that.

Radthorne
08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Even for us non-two wheelers, the left seems to be the 'correct' side. Of course, I also ride a bicycle, which has a kickstand on the left too. So could just be conditioning from that.

boborgera
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Coming from 35 years of two wheels Left side,, But why the question.:dontknow::dontknow::popcorn::popcorn:

CyncySpyder
08-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Hot :yikes:pipe on the right side
so Teddy has me mount from the Left
& I don't wanna go piss'n him off,
He carries a BIG stick!!!:roflblack:

Dragonrider
08-09-2011, 04:07 PM
From two wheeler days - the bike leans to the left, step on the right peg & swing over. Always mount from the right...

3whlLefty
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Just like with a horse. You approach your mount from the left. Otherwise is isn't happy! :lecturef_smilie:

MouthPiece
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Right side. (There is no kick stand gang). :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Chris

vampyregirl
08-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Since most of us are Ex-two wheeler riders; the kick stand is always on the left. No other reason then that.

:agree: That and I didn't want to accidentally lean into the hot exhaust getting on from the right side!!

Yazz
08-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Grew up with horses, so learned to get on from the left side.

With two-wheelies, always got on from the low side. The left.

Just feels weird to get on Spydee from the right side.

CanAmMick
08-09-2011, 05:05 PM
:agree: That and I didn't want to accidentally lean into the hot exhaust getting on from the right side!!

:agree: Left side.

Blue Star
08-09-2011, 05:26 PM
How do YOU mount your Spyder?

Always from the LEFT side?

Always from the RIGHT side?

Varies?

No real reason for the poll... just curious... Does superstition cause you to get on your Ryde the same way all the time? Habbit? Dont really care?

Always from the left. Why? I don't know. I will go out right now and try the right side to see how it feels.;)

NancysToy
08-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Are you kidding? It might kick me if I mounted from the right! :joke:

SpyderDen
08-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Left side IS the drivers side, just like mounting my truck.:roflblack::roflblack:

Blue Star
08-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Always from the left. Why? I don't know. I will go out right now and try the right side to see how it feels.;)

Okay, just went out and mounted from the right side. Could not ryde the spyder as I could not reach the handle bar behind me :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Tiny1
08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Don't have a ryde yet, but, I believe most vehicles are mounted on the left. Beit a horse, bicycle whatever:dontknow:

elixermixer
08-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Why do you ask? Is there someone that gets on via BackFlip or something?

yup me. but first i do my best Rossi squat impression so my leathers fit for the race.29992

DynamoBT
08-09-2011, 07:27 PM
It depends on whether I'm ryding alone or with my hubby. If alone, I mount from the left. Seems natural.

If ryding two up, the passenger gets on first. And once there is someone sitting there, I can't get my right leg high enough to mount facing the bike. I have to mount from the right side because my left leg is more flexible. I bring my left foot as high up and close to my butt that I can. Then I extend my left leg over, and there I am. I get off if there's two ryding by reversing the process. I've just gravitated to doing this because I don't like brushing my feet against parts of the Spyder. And I cannot flex my right hip quite as well as the left hip.

NancysToy
08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
It depends on whether I'm ryding alone or with my hubby. If alone, I mount from the left. Seems natural.

If ryding two up, the passenger gets on first. And once there is someone sitting there, I can't get my right leg high enough to mount facing the bike. I have to mount from the right side because my left leg is more flexible. I bring my left foot as high up and close to my butt that I can. Then I extend my left leg over, and there I am. I get off if there's two ryding by reversing the process. I've just gravitated to doing this because I don't like brushing my feet against parts of the Spyder. And I cannot flex my right hip quite as well as the left hip.
Nancy often has to mount from the right, too, because her replacement knee is not as limber as the left. You do whatever you have to do. Many police are taught to mount from the right, too. Keeps them away from traffic, and may have other advantages for them, for all I know.

Florida girl
08-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Always the left!;)

Questions
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes on left. Just like when I rode my horse. Wait... I'm riding many horses now... Quiz, how many horses does a Spyder have? Lol...

mxz600
08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Once in a while I'll get on from the right if I park close to something on the left. Mostly mount from the left side though. I would even get on the Harley once in a while from the right side. Call me strange.

I've thought about the two handed mount from the rear like a cowboy mounting a horse. But that could get ugly.

Tiny1
08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes on left. Just like when I rode my horse. Wait... I'm riding many horses now... Quiz, how many horses does a Spyder have? Lol...

All of them:roflblack:

mxz600
08-09-2011, 09:55 PM

You put your kick stand up before you mount? I would always get on before putting the kickstand up.

Mr. White
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I have been riding 65 years and always mount from the left. Like someone said earlier, two wheelers on a kick stand lean to the left and you have to be on the left side to put the kick stand up. I am left handed, but doubt if that has anything to do with it...

Now that I am older with trikes and the right knee went out, I have to grap my pant leg and lift my right leg over the seat, then drag my weathered axe on the seat. It is hell getting old. Don't do it as it is bad for your health...

:spyder2:

Yol Bolsun
08-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Grew up with horses, so learned to get on from the left side.

With two-wheelies, always got on from the low side. The left.

Just feels weird to get on Spydee from the right side.

What she sed.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spyder08
08-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I tried it from the right side but didn't feel right.

KipDM
08-10-2011, 02:57 AM
well, most of the time i turn the :spyder2: on while i am still putting on my gloves so i put key in ignition, press M, turn off the engine kill and start. all while standing on the right side. then i hop on from the right.
but sometimes i choose to walk around after starting her up and mount from the left.

and once, just to be different i kinda got on from the back (passenger seat) and then slid into drivers seat.

but i am left handed so maybe i prefer to get on on right because of that. i don't disengage parking brake until i am ready to roll (and while already fully seated).

maybe more important, how do you approach regualr chairs to sit in them. i bet it is the same way u get on a bike.

me, i don't care which side the kickstand is on, i am gonn get on while standing the bike up and the put the stand up. DM, don't matta.

Pandy
08-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Habit, I suppose, from 2 wheeled days. Kickstand on the left, hot exhaust on the right, low side to the left, etc.. When two up, wife gets on first and settles in, then I leap aboard in what must look like what it is "What does that old fart think he's doing?" Works out nicely though.

Patrick

Bob Denman
08-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Left side only... a holdover from 2-wheelers. If I mounted from the right I'd be facing rearward! :D

dltang
08-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Mostly left but from the right depending on where I parked and the circumstances. It doesn't feel too weird to mount from the right. Like others, from when we had horses the left does seem proper but we also taught the kids and we ourselves to mount from the right to get the horse used to it if there was ever a need. Such as trail riding and you don't have the room to mount left, you don't want the horse nervous when you have to mount from the right. So it was practiced and used in the horse shows in the trail class as well.

arntufun
08-10-2011, 08:31 AM
I get on my Spyder just like I put on my underwear............. One leg at a time !!! :roflblack:

nater1
08-10-2011, 08:48 AM
duke style, superman style, and sashay method. :clap:
Most of the time from the left, and it probably has to do with years of two wheeler programing

ThreeFeet
08-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I almost always gotten on from the left, but every once in awhile I have gotten on from the right. THEN I can't get her to start!!! won't start!!! :gaah::gaah:WTF!!!! Dummy:cus:!!! hit the kill switch.:( Sooo I don't get on from that side too often!!!( I don't use kill switch to turn her off)