PDA

View Full Version : towing Aspen Classic???

pathfinderjoe
08-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Thinking about buying a Aspen Classic and towing it with my 08 GS(RS) M5. Are there any Spyder / Aspen owners out there? Looking for comments - suggestions.

DougB
08-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I tow a Uni-Go 1 wheel trailer with my RT. Love it and it will go thru a motel room door.

NancysToy
08-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I tow an Aspen Sentry with an RT, as does Draboo. The Classic is a little heavier, so you hit the RT towing limit of 400 pounds very quickly, with very little cargo. The GS/RS has no published limit, but it really could be more limited than the RT. Some of the rear drive/suspension components are lighter, and not as suitable for a swingarm hitch. A frame-mounted hitch would be better. Your manual clutch should help keep the rpm up. On an SE version of the GS/RS, there is no trailer mode to help with a heavy trailer. There was an owner last year that towed a Sentry with a GS/RS. His picture was on the Trailmaster Website. It can be done, but watch the weight closely. A cargo trailer and a tent is a much lighter combination...and smaller/more streamlined to make towing and stopping easier.

pathfinderjoe
08-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Good info Scotty. I guess I'll have to give this some more consideration.
Thanks

I tow an Aspen Sentry with an RT, as does Draboo. The Classic is a little heavier, so you hit the RT towing limit of 400 pounds very quickly, with very little cargo. The GS/RS has no published limit, but it really could be more limited than the RT. Some of the rear drive/suspension components are lighter, and not as suitable for a swingarm hitch. A frame-mounted hitch would be better. Your manual clutch should help keep the rpm up. On an SE version of the GS/RS, there is no trailer mode to help with a heavy trailer. There was an owner last year that towed a Sentry with a GS/RS. His picture was on the Trailmaster Website. It can be done, but watch the weight closely. A cargo trailer and a tent is a much lighter combination...and smaller/more streamlined to make towing and stopping easier.

ThreeFeet
08-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Thinking about buying a Aspen Classic and towing it with my 08 GS(RS) M5. Are there any Spyder / Aspen owners out there? Looking for comments - suggestions. According to the manual the RS is not recomended to pull a trailer. Of curse I didn't notice THAT little tid bit and put a BRP trailer on the BRP hitch and went to Ia to Wi and back to MO. When I talked to a guy at the BRP plant in Wausau, Wi he said "that bike is NOT supposed to tow a trailer" I told him "But it's YOUR trailer". Oh well any way the RS handles the trailer like a pro but stopping in a hurry isn't one of it's finer points. Give your self lotsa room. Putter around your area to get the feel of how she pulls and get the lightest weighted one. Good luck. If you get the aspen Sentry or what ever it's name is and you don't like it I'll trade you my BRP trailer for it!!! :2thumbs:

Ga Blue Knight
08-09-2011, 05:57 AM
I have an 09 RS SE5. What is the lightest trailer out there as I want to carry just only the minimum and keep performance? I have a swing arm hitch and have not installed it yet. Trying to decide if it's worth setting up

NancysToy
08-09-2011, 07:07 AM
I have an 09 RS SE5. What is the lightest trailer out there as I want to carry just only the minimum and keep performance? I have a swing arm hitch and have not installed it yet. Trying to decide if it's worth setting up.
The one-wheel Uni-Go is probably the lightest out there. They are quite small, however. There is a wide variety of motorcycle cargo trailers. Weights vary, but few are as heavy as the RT-622 (BRP) trailer.

retired1
08-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Another alternative, jdtrailers.com. I pull the Komfort Kamp model, but have not used the Kamp part yet.:roflblack: