PDA

View Full Version : New rider questions

That Guy
08-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi,

First thanks to all in this forum for taking the time to help me out.

I have been trying to calculate my milage. The bike came with 1.5 miles and a full tank. I ride until the last dot disappears. The bike will only take 3.5 gallons. If this is a 6.6 gallon tank than what is going on? Once the gas pump stops I do not force the issue.

What is a stock rs se5 top speed im curious but not that curious yet. Your pesonal bests are ok with me.

Are the hindle silencer exausts really loud?i like good sound but not to ruin my ears on a road trip.

What causes the random flapping and choking sounds while in low rpms? seems to be normal for all spyders.

Whats the first mod you would do to a stock bike
Thanks

Weave2u
08-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi,

First thanks to all in this forum for taking the time to help me out.

I have been trying to calculate my milage. The bike came with 1.5 miles and a full tank. I ride until the last dot disappears. The bike will only take 3.5 gallons. If this is a 6.6 gallon tank than what is going on? Once the gas pump stops I do not force the issue.

What is a stock rs se5 top speed im curious but not that curious yet. Your pesonal bests are ok with me.

Are the hindle silencer exausts really loud?i like good sound but not to ruin my ears on a road trip.

What causes the random flapping and choking sounds while in low rpms? seems to be normal for all spyders.

Whats the first mod you would do to a stock bike
Thanks

:welcome:

If you're calculating your milage, subtract your 1.5 miles from the milage when you filled up and devise it by the # of gallons (assuming it was a completely full tank. If you are wondering at the accuracy of your gauge...wonder no more...its wrong. After I started using star tron gas additive, mine became more reliable. The noise is probably too low rpm's. The first mid I made was add saddle bags and the sport rack.

mowin
08-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I get around 31-35 mpgs with my stock 09 rs . I "burp" my tank when I fill it by gently rocking it to release the traped air. The most I ever squeesed in was 5.1 gal. And the pump stoped at 4.4, so I only put about a 1/3 gal more to get the 5.1

First mod was sport rack and backrest. Spyder came with fog lights, but that would have been the frist thing I would have added.

jvicker
08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Windshield,Windshield,Windshield!!!!!!!

Unless you have a passenger, then go with the backrest.

"if you want a happy life, you need a happy wife"

Or so I've heard.

retread
08-06-2011, 06:27 PM
If you are putting the gas nozzle all the way in your tank, and stopping your fillup when it kicks off, you're not filling your tank. The Spyder needs finesse to get it's tank full, and it can't be done quick. Set the nozzle barely into the tank and "nurse" it.. it'll usually take 5 plus gallons.

john

Yazz
08-06-2011, 07:01 PM
If you are putting the gas nozzle all the way in your tank, and stopping your fillup when it kicks off, you're not filling your tank. The Spyder needs finesse to get it's tank full, and it can't be done quick. Set the nozzle barely into the tank and "nurse" it.. it'll usually take 5 plus gallons. john

Yup, you don't fill up a Spyder the same way you fill up a car.

First mod done was the Evolunize (sp?) Sway Bar. Also crank up the front shocks. They make all the difference in the ryde.