PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Seat

rafiki2cu
08-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Anybody own a Corbin seat for the RT that can give a opinion of the difference in ride than the stock seat.

niander99
08-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Anybody own a Corbin seat for the RT that can give a opinion of the difference in ride than the stock seat.

I am also looking at getting one of these. I just got my 11 RT-S yesterday and I can already use some back support.

medic 1
08-06-2011, 04:45 PM
We got the Corbin for our RTS, Lamonster cut along with the backrest. Which gives me a feeling of being part of the machine instead of just riding on it. The backrest to me is a godsend and allows different angles as adjusted by a hex screw to your riding position. The stock seat unlike the Corbin made my backside sweaty and sticky. Which was uncomfortable to me. The Lamonster cut is where the seat pan is alittle more dished out like a saddle. Good luck on your decision.

Y Rider
08-06-2011, 05:32 PM
I just installed a Corbin seat (non-heated) on my RT Limited a couple weeks ago. The stock seat was just too soft. After about an hour of riding I would have to get off for awhile. The Corbin is firmer and I can ride for hours without any discomfort. I ordered the "Lamonster Cut". The seat is dished out to resemble an old style metal tractor seat. This is what Lamont had done on his custom Corbin seat and it has proved to be very popular with other Spyder riders. It is a very comfortable seat and I haven't even got it broke in yet. I have the smaller oval backrest and it works out very well for me. It also gives the passenger rider plenty of leg room. The backrest has two adjustments. One for the angle and the other to position it back or forward. The rear portion of the seat is also dished out for a more comfortable ride for the passenger. The stock rear section is just flat which creates preasure points. So far Amy (CanAm-Y) and I are very happy with the Corbin. :firstplace:

ARtraveler
08-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I have been riding Corbin seats since my first 2008 GS. Over 40,000 Corbin seat miles now. The Corbin gives you a firmer ride, the gas door on the RTS seat is great--since you don't have to raise the seat to fill the bike with gas.

There is a break-in period of 500 miles or so--but you will enjoy longer rides on the Corbin. Back rest is a must for me--but I highly recommend it.

rafiki2cu
08-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the replys everyone. I guess monday I will call Corbin and order the seat. I just have to decide on the arm rest for the wife. How hard was the install as I will have to do it by myself.

NancysToy
08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
I am one of the oddballs. The Corbin seats actually hurt me! Not only too firm, but their shape and my shape are opposites. I also never lean back enough for a backrest. The stock seat is the most comfortable I have ever owned. My point is that a seat is a very personal thing. Even Lamont had his Corbin cut differently, in "The Lamonster Cut". If you can attend a Spyder event or find another owner close by, somebody may let you try their seat if you ask. That would be ideal. In lieu of that, you could try the Corbin, and sell it if it didn't suit you. Another alternative is a custom-made seat like the Russell Day-Long. If all you really need is the backrest, Utopia makes one that can be fitted to your stock seat.

ulflyer
08-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Rafi: you might want to hold off, if you can, till the next meet of the NC group and see if one of them has a Corbin you can try.
Personally, the stock suits me better than any seat I've ever had.

PS: I'm down the road from you towards the end of Rt 150 if you ever want to meet for breakfast and talk Can Ams ans such and maybe do a morning ride. With the heat we've been having I make sure I'm home by noon. I'm a retiree so weekdays other than wed are good for me.

Y Rider
08-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the replys everyone. I guess monday I will call Corbin and order the seat. I just have to decide on the arm rest for the wife. How hard was the install as I will have to do it by myself.

If you order the seat with a backrest the backrest support will already be installed. The backrest itself will be very easy. I would recommend installing the backrest on the seat before installing the seat on the bike. The seat has a small lever that swings down to hold up the seat but it's not high enough to get to the backrest mounting screw so mount the backrest first. The seat itself is an easy install. There are three screws to remove on the trunkrest. The top two screws are just loosened. The truckrest will come off giving you easy access to the two seat mount bolts from the top. Make sure to stuff the holes under the seat with some paper towels or a rag so you won't lose the two seat bolts and nuts. Once you have the Corbin seat lined up install the seat bolts into the nuts but do not tighten. Loosen the three bolts on the seat that mounts the hinge plate. Move the seat forward or back to line up the seat locking pin. Once lined up tighten up the seat and hinge plate bolts. The hinge plate holes for the bolts are slotted and gives you about a half inch of movement to help line up the locking pin. The two seat bolts give you about a 1/4".

The matching trunkrest takes about 15 minutes to install. The seat took me about an hour but I was taking my time. Make sure to keep the gas door open while installing the seat. The hinge with the door closed can scratch the panels. The armrests are a different story. I did not get them but after reading the installation instructions it appeared to be a rather involved process. The problem with the passenger armrests is they will keep shorter riders from easy access to the hand grips and may cause the rider to have there arms too high causing discomfort. If your rider is over 5' 5" they may work okay.

DougB
08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
I have A Corbin with driver backrest for sale. Color is partner gray. Like new. PM me with your email and i'll reply with pics of it. Or email me at weboehmke@msn.com

murphybrown
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
I had 15k miles on the stock seat with Utopia backrest and NO complaints..I had added a sheepskin fleece seat by Alaska Leather...got my Corbin doing a ryde-in last Tuesday....In my opinion Corbin is a class act as far as customer service goes...I went with full intention of getting the Lamonster cut...after Corbin guys looked at how I sit asked a few key ?'s decided to go with the regular style. I am sooooo impressed...the gas door, almost alone, is worth the price. My first day on seat I rode for 9 hrs on 1N...absolutely no issues...plus I love my purple spyders they put on mine :thumbup:..ok ok I know what's a purple spyder got to do with comfort...not a dang thing!!! As of today I have close to 1200 miles on the new Corbin and loving it....I got the solid backrest...the oval open concept was not comfortable for me...
Obviously I give Corbin for my RT a :thumbup: