PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranties. To purchase or not to purchase ?

Motogordo
08-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I was just wondering if most of you think the purchase of the extended BRP BEST warranty is worth the money ? My 60 days from purchase runs out 8/21/2011. My dealer here in Bensalem, Pa. is charging $1098 for the 3 year BRP warranty.He is also offering a Zurich 7 year warranty ( I presume the first 2 years are figured in) with NO deductible for $1184. The Zurich warranty is good at ANY motorcycle dealer, not just BRP. Does anyone know about the Zurich warranty or if the BRP warranty is any better because it is the manufacturer of the CanAm ?
Gordon

Mr. White
08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Gordon, I bought the BEST 3 year for $800. (Dealer said buy it when you get your Spyder and we will also give you a 15% discount on all service and parts...I did just that) I personally do not trust aftermarket warranty policies. You never know if "all dealers" will accept that warranty, where all BRP dealers honor BEST. Just because some company says all will accept it.... Duh! JMHO

Is an extended warranty worth the money? Not if you never have to use it. If you have a major failure, and some have, it is worth it.

As Clint says "Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances".

:spyder2:

ThreeWheels
08-05-2011, 11:16 AM
I've had my RT in the shop 17 times since Feb 2010. 14 of those have been waranty issues.

I have no complaints about the service. Usually it was in the shop for a day or two, not like some of these horror stories I've read about. And BRP and my dealer have always steppd up to the plate. I've never had to fight over a warranty issue.

Having said that, 14 Warranty Repairs in 19 months is a bit excessive.

You /_= I'm going to get an extended warranty.

marvin24
08-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Makes me want to rush out and get one. No wonder a extended warranty for these things cost so much! You would have to be crazy not to get one!

Motogordo
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I just went to my CanAm dealer (East Coast Cycle Center) Bensalem, Pa. I was comparing the two policies. BEST & Zurich. I didn't realize that the B.E.S.T. warranty wasn't actually BRP's. They too are a third party. The dealer preferred Zurich because he said with BEST, you have to call the company for authorization on each claim, and with Zurich you DON'T. Also , with my policy, there is NO deductible at all. They also give you $150/day for up to 3 days if you break down more then 100 miles away from home. Also Roadside Assistance. There goes another $1,184 payment for my Spyder. LOL. Of course, it doesn't kick in until the BRP 24 month warranty runs out. I had better keep this Spyder for a long time. I was having so much fun today that I also bought the 5 year WHEEL & TIRE WARRANTY. That was another $444. It will replace damaged tires or the wheels for 5 years from day 1.( This warranty covers only the original tires and wheels). Of course, BRP doesn't offer that. It includes mounting, balancing and removal of the old tire or tires. I should be good for quite a while now. I don't know if I wish I use these warranties or not. Would you believe that there is another insurance company that charges $150, and they will reinburse your complete insurance payment if YOU DON'T USE THE WARRANTY AT ALL DURING THE COVERAGE PERIOD. For a mere $1,800 or so you can really sleep at night, unless you are now worried about how to pay for all these insurances. LOL LOL Gordon.:roflblack:

clueless
08-05-2011, 05:01 PM
do a search on here ... there is also a thread on the BEST PLUS warranty... that adds the 600 mile maintenance plus ONE annual maintenance per year purchased of PLUS warranty.

another thing is any BEST warranty will get you free roadside towing to nearest dealer up to I think $200? or something.

I give nod to BEST+ warranty if you have a good dealer who will take the warranty and do the service work under the plan.

also check the vendor section of this thread there is BERTs that will sell you the warranty remotely just need your VIN number.

poorboy1942
08-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I was just wondering if most of you think the purchase of the extended BRP BEST warranty is worth the money ? My 60 days from purchase runs out 8/21/2011. My dealer here in Bensalem, Pa. is charging $1098 for the 3 year BRP warranty.He is also offering a Zurich 7 year warranty ( I presume the first 2 years are figured in) with NO deductible for $1184. The Zurich warranty is good at ANY motorcycle dealer, not just BRP. Does anyone know about the Zurich warranty or if the BRP warranty is any better because it is the manufacturer of the CanAm ?
Gordon

I just bought the three year best policy yesterday. My dealer sells a different policy but after having friends with off brand policies that have presented them with problems I thought it would be best to stay with BRP.
My dealer did sell me a brp three year policy for $650.. I was happy with that.

Bob

Mr. White
08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I stand corrected as I thought the BEST policy was from BRP....they sent me the policy paperwork after I bought it. I have a lot of faith in my dealer and she said this is the best policy to go with ...so I did. AS I said, I paid $800 and get 15% of any labor and parts....this discount was applied to my CB, XM, GPS, helmet headset and footrest. I am happy with this.

Nikon
08-05-2011, 10:38 PM
The Can Am dealer in Pompano Beach, South Florida says the Best warranty cannot be sold in Florida as it does not meet state insurance coverage laws. Do any one know if this is true. If true, what extended warranties are other Florida can am owners purchasing?

I purchased my Spyder at the end of April and it has spent 2 stents in service for over 3 weeks each time. Because of this and the expense of shop labor, I need to purchase an extended warranty.

What are the most reliable warranties sold in Florida???

I would appreciate any advice.

Thx...Dave

Max LTD
08-05-2011, 11:02 PM
I am from Canada and I plan to buy the BEST Warranty from Berts Mega
Mall. Will I have any problem getting warranty service in Canada? I am told that the BEST Warranty is valid anywhere in the world. Thanks

NancysToy
08-06-2011, 07:04 AM
The Can Am dealer in Pompano Beach, South Florida says the Best warranty cannot be sold in Florida as it does not meet state insurance coverage laws. Do any one know if this is true. If true, what extended warranties are other Florida can am owners purchasing?

I purchased my Spyder at the end of April and it has spent 2 stents in service for over 3 weeks each time. Because of this and the expense of shop labor, I need to purchase an extended warranty.

What are the most reliable warranties sold in Florida???

I would appreciate any advice.

Thx...Dave
That is true. Florida insurance laws consider the BEST plans to be insurance. They are either not registered in Florida or do not meet the laws regarding insurance there, so they can't be sold in Florida. My understanding is that a BEST plan purchased elsewhere, like from SpyderLovers sponsor Bert's Mega Mall, is valid even at Florida dealers. You could ask your dealer if they would honor one if your Spyder had a BEST warranty purchased elsewhere. They should. Beyond that I would ask your dealer about alternate extended warranty plans they may offer. Have them provide a brochure, contract, or Web link, and look at the coverage and fine print. The important thing is to get something both you and your dealer are comfortable with.

ulflyer
08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Dealer in Winston-Salem NC charged me $649. Figured it was worth that for resale purposes since the warranty is transferable and would offer potential buyer "peace of mind" .

thehawk
08-06-2011, 09:06 PM
... the rationale for the $75/yr surcharge that is added after 60 days from purchase? I'm having an issue understanding what is magical about 60 days when the Spyder is going to be under a manufacturer's factory warranty for almost 2 years before it even kicks in. They already get to use my money for 2 years.

thehawk

manoman14
08-07-2011, 08:02 AM
It's BRP's ball, so they get to make the rules.

boborgera
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
It's BRP's ball, so they get to make the rules.

:agree: And they play with a hard ball.:sour:

dslim
08-07-2011, 02:50 PM
What is the differences between a 3 year Best and Best plus? Does the best cover everything or just the engine? It has a 50 dollar deductible right? Thanks

liketoride2
08-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Earlier today I was on BRPs website reviewing the info on the Best and Best Plus plans when I noticed a link to Florida coverage (http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/Files/en-US/Pdf/BEST_Protection_Florida.pdf). The only difference between that page and the non-Florida page was a reference to General Fidelity Insurance Company and a Florida insurance license number. It thus appears BRP has now found a way to sell their Best plans in Florida, although I did not investigate this any further since I don't live in Florida.

Do I understand correctly from this thread that there is a $75 charge by BRP if the Best policy is not purchased within 60 days of the Spyder purchase? When I purchased mine I was told I could purchase the Best plan any time while the original manufacturers warranty was still in effect and nothing was said about a surcharge. I'm past 60 days, do plan to purchase a Best plan, and won't be happy about never being informed of a surcharge that is also not mentioned on the BRP website, at least that I could find.

Mike

SpyderAnn01
08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Earlier today I was on BRPs website reviewing the info on the Best and Best Plus plans when I noticed a link to Florida coverage (http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/Files/en-US/Pdf/BEST_Protection_Florida.pdf). The only difference between that page and the non-Florida page was a reference to General Fidelity Insurance Company and a Florida insurance license number. It thus appears BRP has now found a way to sell their Best plans in Florida, although I did not investigate this any further since I don't live in Florida.Do I understand correctly from this thread that there is a $75 charge by BRP if the Best policy is not purchased within 60 days of the Spyder purchase? When I purchased mine I was told I could purchase the Best plan any time while the original manufacturers warranty was still in effect and nothing was said about a surcharge. I'm past 60 days, do plan to purchase a Best plan, and won't be happy about never being informed of a surcharge that is also not mentioned on the BRP website, at least that I could find.Mike Yes you will be charged a surcharge for not purchasing the coverage within 60 days.

boborgera
08-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Earlier today I was on BRPs website reviewing the info on the Best and Best Plus plans when I noticed a link to Florida coverage (http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/Files/en-US/Pdf/BEST_Protection_Florida.pdf). The only difference between that page and the non-Florida page was a reference to General Fidelity Insurance Company and a Florida insurance license number. It thus appears BRP has now found a way to sell their Best plans in Florida, although I did not investigate this any further since I don't live in Florida.

Do I understand correctly from this thread that there is a $75 charge by BRP if the Best policy is not purchased within 60 days of the Spyder purchase? When I purchased mine I was told I could purchase the Best plan any time while the original manufacturers warranty was still in effect and nothing was said about a surcharge. I'm past 60 days, do plan to purchase a Best plan, and won't be happy about never being informed of a surcharge that is also not mentioned on the BRP website, at least that I could find.

Mike

Just think of it as a late fee. :sour:

BikerDoc
08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
The item on the BRP website about the Best Florida policy is misleading, out of date, and flat out wrong.. HOWEVER, a fair number of people in Florida have purchased BEST policies from out of state vendors and they are honored in florida along with everywhere else - I believe that Both Doc and Forrest used their policies on the way from New York to CA...

thehawk
08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
... as a late fee when it doesn't even come into play for 22 more months? Sounds to me like a pre-payment such that BRP gets to use my money for almost 2 years. What don't I understand here?

thehawk

boborgera
08-07-2011, 08:26 PM
... as a late fee when it doesn't even come into play for 22 more months? Sounds to me like a pre-payment such that BRP gets to use my money for almost 2 years. What don't I understand here?

thehawk

Whats not to understand?, They [brp] take your money up front ,Work off of it [invest it]so if some thing does break it doesn't cost them [brp] the full tab.
So if you need warranty work done it's like you made a co payment up front. And if you don't need any work, They [brp] smile.;)
And i guess you smile too, nothing broke.

Motogordo
08-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Mike

Aug.8, 2011
Believe it or not, I was told the same thing . They said you could purchase the warranty anytime during the 2 year period. Nothing was said about the 60 days, but if they show you the price schedule, it is listed right on the policy pricing. It is $75 for each year you add, up to 3 years $225. The only thing I can think of is that BRP want's to have you sign up right in the beginning. It is interesting how BRP and Zurich (which I used) gets to use your money for two years before the warranty even kicks in. Life in the fast lane. LOL.
Gordon

Y Rider
08-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Even though the B.E.S.T. warranty doesn't really kick in until the original 2 year warranty expires you do get road side assistance with free towing (up to $200) right away.

draboo
08-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I would give these folks a call if you are interested in a BEST warranty. No need to worry about how long you've owned it as long as your factory warranty is still in effect.

http://www.eastbaymotorsports.com/

The woman who sells em is a hoot!

nightriderrg
08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
George where did you buy your Spyder RT
RG

I stand corrected as I thought the BEST policy was from BRP....they sent me the policy paperwork after I bought it. I have a lot of faith in my dealer and she said this is the best policy to go with ...so I did. AS I said, I paid $800 and get 15% of any labor and parts....this discount was applied to my CB, XM, GPS, helmet headset and footrest. I am happy with this.

Dragracer
08-21-2011, 02:37 PM
When we purchased my wife's 09 new from Barney's in St. Petersburg, FL., we purchased the 5 year BEST policy with the bike.

That being said, don't be afraid of Zurich. They are a good company.

liketoride2
08-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Some extended warranty companies subcontract (if that's the correct term) the administration of their policies to companies that specialize in that field, and that's who a policy holder deals with when they have a claim. Does anyone know if either the BEST or Zurich warranties happen to be administered by United Service Protection, Inc. of Saint Petersburg, Florida?

Mike