PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Riding The Ozarks to The Big Easy

Luziman
08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm flying from New Orleans to St. Louis to pick up my new red RT-S SE5. I'm then riding it home 900 miles or so through the Ozarks back down to New Orleans. I've been down for almost 9 months from a run-in with a negligent hit-and-run driver taking my left leg above the knee. This is my celebratory ride before finally returning to work.
I've read some of the advice offered to other new riders, so I won't have you repeat yourself. I will ask for any tips, recommendations, have-to-see stops, etc,... that are along my route. I know the countryside is beautiful and the twisty back roads will be a treat for me. I intend on covering 200 - 400 miles a day, but my schedule is flexible.
I'd like to hear what y'all have to say. I'm looking forward to your input.

SteveMac
08-04-2011, 08:29 PM
What are your dates and route?

NancysToy
08-04-2011, 08:29 PM
:welcome: and congratulation on your return to the road. What a great way to start a new phase in your life!

Your easy-going schedule sounds like a good plan. With some decent weather, nice roads, and your obvious resolve, I think you will have a great trip. I don't know the area, so I can't give any sightseeing or road pointers, but I wish you well. Can't wait to hear the story of your journey. Enjoy the Ryde!

SpyderAnn01
08-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Welcome and congratulations on your new Spyder. The red looks great. That is terrible about your leg but I am glad that with the Spyder you are able to ride. I can't help you out with what to see or do on your trip but just remember to drink plenty of water and take a break if you are tired. Enjoy and ride safe.

Luziman
08-04-2011, 08:54 PM
What are your dates and route?

I'm flying in August 17th early to do the deal. I should be heading out the next day after that. I know I'm going through Joplin to visit with a relative for a day. So I'll head south maybe Saturday.
I don't have a particular route planned yet; I know there are a few options. I'd take suggestions here. Is there any sites that are must-see. That could vary my route a bit. But I'm heading roughly south.

SteveMac
08-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Darn, I'll be in Wisconsin those days. Otherwise, I would try to hook up and ryde a while with you as you head south.
Don't know which dealer you are picking up your Spyder from (Cowtown, Teds, or other?? I am biased towards Cowtown, but that's just me!) but if you are in STL, take 44W down through Cuba to Joplin (If you don't mind the Interstate) after visiting your family in Joplin, run back east and south through Branson, definitely worth a trip and a stay to catch a show. The ryde through the Ozarks will be very nice. If you go down through Arkansas, the twisty road down through Mountain Home is a very scenic drive. I can't recall the exact highway, but there are scenic overlooks at several spots.

Anyway :welcome: and enjoy your new RT.

I'm flying in August 17th early to do the deal. I should be heading out the next day after that. I know I'm going through Joplin to visit with a relative for a day. So I'll head south maybe Saturday.
I don't have a particular route planned yet; I know there are a few options. I'd take suggestions here. Is there any sites that are must-see. That could vary my route a bit. But I'm heading roughly south.

Tiny1
08-04-2011, 09:31 PM
:welcome:. Don't know anything about the area. Just wanted to welcome you onboad. :congrats: on the new rig. Have a safe trip and keep us all posted.

:popcorn:

Luziman
08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Darn, I'll be in Wisconsin those days. Otherwise, I would try to hook up and ryde a while with you as you head south.
Don't know which dealer you are picking up your Spyder from (Cowtown, Teds, or other?? I am biased towards Cowtown, but that's just me!) but if you are in STL, take 44W down through Cuba to Joplin (If you don't mind the Interstate) after visiting your family in Joplin, run back east and south through Branson, definitely worth a trip and a stay to catch a show. The ryde through the Ozarks will be very nice. If you go down through Arkansas, the twisty road down through Mountain Home is a very scenic drive. I can't recall the exact highway, but there are scenic overlooks at several spots.

Anyway :welcome: and enjoy your new RT.

Branson may be a good call. I'll look it over.
And I'm doing my business with Cowtown. I may try another dealer, that I read about somewhere here, for the B.E.S.T. warranty (much better pricing).
Thank y'all for the responses. Hopefully more will be coming.

SteveMac
08-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Cool.
Have a great trip and congrats on getting back out in the wind. It took me over 25 years after my wreck to get back out there. The RT has been an absolute blessing for me and the wifey.
So I :bowdown: have a great admiration for you!

Oh, and you definitely made the right choice on the dealer. Len and the gang will treat you right. :thumbup:
Take Care!

Branson may be a good call. I'll look it over.
And I'm doing my business with Cowtown. I may try another dealer, that I read about somewhere here, for the B.E.S.T. warranty (much better pricing).
Thank y'all for the responses. Hopefully more will be coming.

BitSlayer
08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
:congrats: on the purchasing the new :ani29:. We have really enjoyed ours :2thumbs: We just got back from a ride from Tulsa into the Ozarks a few weeks ago. Hot but very nice.

Branson and Mountain Home are good choices. You might also consider Mountain View. They have an old time town square and on Saturday nights, local bluegrass bands gather and play in the courtyard. When one group get tired of playing, they will break up and form another group somewhere else and start playing again. Good times if you like that kind of music and laid back evening. Here is a URL to the town: http://www.ozarkgetaways.com/things_to_do.html

Some other towns to consider is Eureka Springs, AR. It is a small town built on the side of a pretty good hill. Nice homes to look at and good roads to ride. They also have the "Christ of the Ozarks" statute and "Passion Play". Here is a URL for the town: http://www.eurekasprings.org/

Close to Eureka is War Eagle. It is a grits mill that was built back in the 1832 and has a superb breakfast. The mill is still operational and they sell freshly ground organic grains. Her is a link for it: http://www.wareaglemill.com/

One other area to look at is Roaring River State Park. They have a trout hatchery there and beautiful river. Nice are to take a break at and maybe camp out a night.

Good luck with your ride and watch out for the heat! Take plenty of water and take plenty of cool down stops!

Luziman
08-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks BitSlayer. Those are great!
I was looking around @ Branson when I realized that I don't walk well, so big city stuff may not work. I love being outdoors, so scenic rides and outdoor shows are most likely. But i'll keep an open mind and I'm not ruling anything out.
As I'm starting to get my head wrapped around what all I'm doing, I'm getting really excited about this ride.

Yazz
08-05-2011, 07:01 PM
:welcome: Glad you're getting your knees in the breeze again.

Around Eureka Springs, south east of Joplin has some great riding. Head south out of Eureka Springs on 23. Takes you through beautiful twisty roads. The 'Pig Trail' is on this route. Once you get below Waldron, maybe start heading east. You'll still be in the Ouachita National Forest till you get to Hot Springs.

Have ridden from Texas to Cuba a few times and 23 / Eureka Springs is one of my favorite roads.

Another scenic way back home is to go down the Natchez Trace Parkway. It starts south of Nashville, Tenn and ends in Natchez, Mississippi. The speed limit is 50 mph, so it took two days going 5-10 over the limit. Its a scenic leisurely ride. If you want to go that route, can tell you where the gas stations are hidden.

What ever way you get your RT back to NOLA, its going to be a great ryde!

Luziman
08-05-2011, 08:05 PM
:welcome: Glad you're getting your knees in the breeze again.!

At least one of 'em, anyway.

(Sorry - couldn't resist)

Dar
08-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Welcome aboard. I am from around Hammond. If you are coming I-55 Watch for the construction from Amite to south of Hammond. For some scenery may want to take the old low road before the high rise and get back on in LaPlace.

retiredsquid
08-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Welcome aboard. I live near Beaver Dam about eight miles or so west of Eureka Springs and maybe 70 miles from Joplin. It is a beautiful ride from Eureka Springs down Highway 23 south on the Pig Trail to Ozark, Arkansas.

Luziman
08-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I used 61 & the low road for all rides through the area on my rigid that I wrecked on. They're much smoother the the elevated roads. Now that I'm gonna have a cushy ride, I want all the bumps.

Luziman
08-18-2011, 09:15 PM
I came in to STL and had a really nice Sean(?) waiting to take me to Cuba. When I got there I was met with some of the nicest folks I could ever want to do business with. Rick showed me my new rideand then gave a quick hands-on with it. I stepped into the office with Sara to complete the transaction. There's so much more to the visit than what I'm covering here, but suffice it to say it didn't take free t-shirts and bungees for me to be grateful for the experience. and they gave me a good deal on the 3 year B.E.S.T warranty.
After a couple of test runs behind the dealership, I took off down the interstate towards Joplin. The 1st 100 miles were tiring because I was really fighting the Spyder going down the road. I finally relaxed my grip (I know, rookie stuff, right) and then the ride turned downright enjoyable. I originally had intention to just go down to the next town and find a room for the night. I just kept riding and riding, and by the time I came into Joplin, I was almost disappointed it was time to stop. I'm here with some cousins for a couple days, but I'm looking forward to getting back on the road heading South.
I was looking at some scenic rides in Arkansas and saw several loops had Hwy 7 in common. It looks like a tight back road that might be nice to ride. It runs north to south through the whole state. Is it a decent ride?
When I get back to riding, I'll do my best to keep up here.

Mr. White
08-18-2011, 10:03 PM
I was looking at some scenic rides in Arkansas and saw several loops had Hwy 7 in common. It looks like a tight back road that might be nice to ride. It runs north to south through the whole state. Is it a decent ride?

Yes, do Hwy 7! Fun stuff. Enjoy.

:spyder2:

thehawk
08-18-2011, 10:40 PM
... over the top of Mount Magazine!!

thehawk

retiredsquid
08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Highway 7 is a nice ride and you will go through Jasper and beautiful country.

Last weekend my wife and I took the Spyder down the PigTrail on Highway 23 to Ozark for a delicious meal of BBQ and on to Altus via 64 for some wine tasting at two wineries. Altus is the wine capitol of Arkansas. We managed to find space for 8 bottle of wine to bing home. :clap:

ARtraveler
08-20-2011, 01:03 AM
The members have you covered pretty good. Welcome to the site. Have a safe and wonderful ryde back. :2thumbs:

trucknrn
08-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Hi

Be sure and drop by the conway area and say hi! an be sure to stop in gros tete,la at the tigar truckstop for the best red beans and rice with cator sausage you ever had!

Dick and Carol

Got fly?:ani29:

GloryRyders
08-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I came in to STL and had a really nice Sean(?) waiting to take me to Cuba. When I got there I was met with some of the nicest folks I could ever want to do business with. Rick showed me my new rideand then gave a quick hands-on with it. I stepped into the office with Sara to complete the transaction. There's so much more to the visit than what I'm covering here, but suffice it to say it didn't take free t-shirts and bungees for me to be grateful for the experience. and they gave me a good deal on the 3 year B.E.S.T warranty.
After a couple of test runs behind the dealership, I took off down the interstate towards Joplin. The 1st 100 miles were tiring because I was really fighting the Spyder going down the road. I finally relaxed my grip (I know, rookie stuff, right) and then the ride turned downright enjoyable. I originally had intention to just go down to the next town and find a room for the night. I just kept riding and riding, and by the time I came into Joplin, I was almost disappointed it was time to stop. I'm here with some cousins for a couple days, but I'm looking forward to getting back on the road heading South.

:welcome:.............you have picked the best family owned dealership to get your :spyder2:. Hope your ryde back to NOLA was safe, enjoyable, and uneventful.