PDA

View Full Version : Buy a 2012 or repaint the 2010??

Pennyrick
08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Here's a thought starter.

My wife has an RTSE5 that we bought in 2010. It is orbital blue and is not her favorite color. (In fact, there was no color that she liked at all, so blue was the best of the worst in her opinion).

She has seen the 2012 pictured in the brown shade and has fallen in love. So, I trekked down to the dealer and raised the question of what it would cost to trade in the '10 RT with the orbital blue matching trailer on a 2012 in the Brown color with a matching trailer. By the time the 2012 and trailer gets into the dealership we'll probably be looking at October. The way my wife puts miles on her bike it will probably have about 15,000 by then.

Best guess from the dealer based on a trade value of $21,500 for the '10 bike and trailer is about $9,000 difference.

It seems to me that a competent (and that could be difficult to find), motorcycle shop could disassemble the current bike and trailer and send the stuff out to a good shop for prep and refinish in the new color (maybe even with some contrasting gold like my old '82 Aspencade had) for a lot less than nine grand.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

MarkLawson
08-04-2011, 01:06 PM
If the color is all you're looking to gain with a new Spyder, then repainting your old one seems like a viable option. If, on the other hand, you also like the changes offered, you might want to go with the new one.

Ga Blue Knight
08-04-2011, 01:16 PM
I would go by the old adage that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"! If your RT works well with 15,000 happy miles changing the color will not effect that. Buying a new one could and I am only saying could introduce some negative karma in you riding life. If its not broke don't fix it. Paint is not that hard or expensive to do but see examples of their work first!

Dragonrider
08-04-2011, 01:16 PM
One woud think you could get a really nice paint job for $9,000… Ghost flames on my Valk set me back $2200, and I did the disassembly work.

Bob Denman
08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Some of the 2011 updates might be a consideration...
The frunk will open with the key on and the engine off
The turnsignal switch was "upgraded"

I don't know if there were others, but those 2 are addressable by you or your dealer...
You've had the time and miles to troubleshoot your 2010 also... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-04-2011, 01:44 PM
You are $'s ahead by painting the 2010 that you are happy with.

A good paint shop can give you your hearts desire.

I am not feeling that the changes are worth upgrading to at this time either.

You can do a lot of things with $9,000.

Lamonster
08-04-2011, 02:21 PM
For 9K extra you can have the same Spyder anyone else can buy. I would say for 3 to 5K you could have a pretty custom Spyder that nobody else will have. :thumbup:

Arachnid71
08-04-2011, 04:10 PM
You could wait for the 2012 to come out and order the colored panels.

SteveMac
08-04-2011, 10:04 PM
If your RT is running good and you like it, I would say Painting is the way to go. Check out Danny Farris at http://www.farriscustoms.com/ He is a sponsor here and a super guy. Not to mention that he does fabulous work. :thumbup:

I have considered painting my 2010 RT. If I did, here is what I would do! I love this GREEN and I would have all the chrome and aluminum powder coated black.... I can just imagine what the RT would look like with this scheme.
Yes I am dreaming, but that is part of the fun!
:2thumbs:

Here's a thought starter.

My wife has an RTSE5 that we bought in 2010. It is orbital blue and is not her favorite color. (In fact, there was no color that she liked at all, so blue was the best of the worst in her opinion).

She has seen the 2012 pictured in the brown shade and has fallen in love. So, I trekked down to the dealer and raised the question of what it would cost to trade in the '10 RT with the orbital blue matching trailer on a 2012 in the Brown color with a matching trailer. By the time the 2012 and trailer gets into the dealership we'll probably be looking at October. The way my wife puts miles on her bike it will probably have about 15,000 by then.

Best guess from the dealer based on a trade value of $21,500 for the '10 bike and trailer is about $9,000 difference.

It seems to me that a competent (and that could be difficult to find), motorcycle shop could disassemble the current bike and trailer and send the stuff out to a good shop for prep and refinish in the new color (maybe even with some contrasting gold like my old '82 Aspencade had) for a lot less than nine grand.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

Pennyrick
08-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Appreciate your comments.

We've kicked the subject around and she really wants the new 2012 model. So we will make the best deal we can on a trade (or we will sell it privately and see if we can make a better deal) and get her into the new color. We've decided to keep the trailer and just paint it to match the new bike, as that seems to be a pretty easy task.

arntufun
08-05-2011, 06:40 PM
The dealer I went to the other day said they would not stock the brown at all. They said they would only get it for someone on special order. From what they were saying it did not go over very well with some of the other dealers either at the event and only the Canadians really liked it.

My personal opinion is I agree with this dealer. The brown does nothing for me, but if you like it go for it !!! :thumbup: I myself am totally in love with the new Arctic Cat Edition RS-SE. That green and black is HOT !!! I will be seeing the dealer in the fall to see if we can make the deal. But my PE-08 won't be going anywhere unless I get what I want for it. I'm really impressed with BRP's 2011 Copper and the 2012 Arctic Cat Green. They hit a home run with these colors. But I'm a RS guy at heart. :2thumbs:

Good luck to you and happy Spydering. :doorag:

Bob Denman
08-05-2011, 06:43 PM
...So then your Missus can trade it in :shocked: and get her own RT???:roflblack:
Oh... Can Am would NEVER make an Arctic Cat edition Spyder!:lecturef_smilie:

arntufun
08-05-2011, 07:09 PM
...So then your Missus can trade it in :shocked: and get her own RT???:roflblack:
Oh... Can Am would NEVER make an Arctic Cat edition Spyder!:lecturef_smilie:

I've already laid the law down about that RT Bob !!! :lecturef_smilie: But if she cuts me off then.......... I don't want to even think about it !!! :yikes::yikes:

Dont these colors below look familiar Bob ??? But your a Polaris guy so you might be a little slow to catch on. :joke::roflblack: Arctic Cat Edition, I love the new name I made up. I should patent that. :roflblack::roflblack:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/asset.php?fid=13906&uid=6466&d=1311884755

http://www.spyderlovers.com/2012/2012/2012_Spyder_files/smRS-S side Grn_12.jpg

mowin
08-06-2011, 05:01 PM
As a Arctic Cat ryder 4 many yrs(sleds) I have NEVER seen one in the shade of green BRP is using......

billybovine
08-06-2011, 06:31 PM
As a Arctic Cat ryder 4 many yrs(sleds) I have NEVER seen one in the shade of green BRP is using......

I agree that color of green that brp is using is nothing like the arctic cat green. It looks a lot more eviromentaly friendly to me. Just think of all those frogs that had to die to paint those atctic cat sleds. :roflblack:

arntufun
08-06-2011, 07:12 PM

I agree that color of green that brp is using is nothing like the arctic cat green. It looks a lot more eviromentaly friendly to me. Just think of all those frogs that had to die to paint those atctic cat sleds. :roflblack:

You two guys better get your eyes checked !!! :roflblack: :joke: Just know that I'm not knockin it, I'm only nameing it. I think that color is awesome. Just like my Arctic Cats.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=16704

http://www.snowmobile.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/15647-4/ACsnopro500_model-line.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_P MT

mowin
08-10-2011, 01:22 PM
You two guys better get your eyes checked !!! :roflblack: :joke: Just know that I'm not knockin it, I'm only nameing it. I think that color is awesome. Just like my Arctic Cats.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=16704

http://www.snowmobile.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/15647-4/ACsnopro500_model-line.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_P MT

Just looked on cats web site, The color is closer then previous yrs, but yet different...Kinda wish cat would use BRP's green..I like it better..lol