PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for improvement to BRP

Hawk
08-03-2011, 09:13 AM
First, I feel like we have purchased (especially in the case of the RT) the upper market of motorcycles. So comparatively we bought a Lexus, Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, etc. BRP should look at their service models for inspiration.

1. Free maintenance for a year or two
2. Supply the dealer with loaner or "courtesy" spyders (instead of people having to leave their vehicles at the dealer for 2 weeks as I have read here more than once)
3. Have at least a 3 year warranty

Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy with my spyder. I just feel like these could be some improvements to justify the costs.
What do you guys think??

SpyderAnn01
08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Although those things would be nice I seriously doubt that you will ever see them. You can spend more on a Gold Wing, Harley and a BMW and I don't believe that any of them offer these perks.

Hawk
08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Both, BMW and Honda Goldwing have a 3 year warranty, but they are mileage limited.

The free maintenance would just be a plus to sell them.

I know some of the better dealers offer some loaners, but if BRP had this across all dealerships, this would go a great deal toward adding security for buyers.

These are just suggestions to help set themselves apart from the crowd.

ARtraveler
08-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Great ideas--but as a professional "bean counter"-- it would be a very expensive thing to do across the board.

The smaller dealers would scream that they cannot afford to sell Spyders. This would be tremendous overhead if the dealers had to absorb all the costs.

BRP could not finance that, unless they passed the cost on through additional cost on your Spyder purchase. I would guess $5000 or more per Spyder.

DougB
08-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Check the price of an MV Agusta if ya think Spyders are high end bikes

NancysToy
08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
No thanks, too expensive. There is no such thing as "free" maintenance. You cannot compare this kind of product to a car. BRP is doing something similar to what all motorcycle of powersports manufacturers do.

MouthPiece
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I'll offer the following as a "point/counterpoint" of at least one of the issues noted earlier. I would add that my dealer with BRP's blessings offered a new spyder off the show room floor for me to use to go to the owner's event in Maggie Valley had they not finished fixing mine.

" As some of you have read, Forrest had limp mode/check engine issues. The Spyder threw a code that the dealer had not seen before. After consulting BRP, it was determined that the throttle bodies bit the dust. GOOD NEWS: BRP ok'd the removal of a set off a showroom spyder to be put on Forrests ride. He should be out of there later today. "

The above was written by Dave reference Forrest's problem on his journey to California and the redwoods.

Chris

Lamonster
08-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I agree with others on this one, "free" anything is costing someone something. Free shipping is not free, ups still charges the shipper. Free maintenance will wind up costing you the consumer and to those of us that do our own it would cost us if we used it or not. I like it just the way it is right now. A service plan that could be purchased from a dealer at a discount would be a good thing though. :doorag:

dave01
08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
A service plan that could be purchased from a dealer at a discount would be a good thing though. :doorag:

We used to have these at my dealer. Doc put an end to that. It was a great plan with all services, oil changes and stuff covered for 3-4-5 years.
But, when your spyder is in for oil changes every 2 weeks, like docs was, they put an end to it...LOL

boborgera
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I'll agree with a loaner , When ever my car went in for repairs and i took out a loaner, Funny thing i never had to call the dealer
to find out if the repairs are done, They always called me to say your car is ready.[bring back the loaner]

kmakona
08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Experience will correct many of the issues, BRP getting more dealers with qualified service departments and miles experience on the machines. I haven't experienced down time so everything is cool. I guess if I had service delays, I would have a different attitude. I have over 10,000 miles and everything runs as it should. :thumbup::thumbup: Just finished a 5,000 mile ride two up pulling a larger trailer then most. Rode in desert 111 degrees and 12,000 foot mountains with snow 6 feet high. I don't know if I could have had a better ride.

Hawk
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Okay, of course what I meant was that BRP eat the cost of the maintenance. But yes, I agree that some way they will probably factor that into the price of the spyder, and if that is the case, I would agree no. And you could argue that they would factor all 3 of these into the price. But what I am saying is that they should, as a company, eat the cost. I know that is asking alot. Also, like I said, it is just suggestions to get the customer to feel more secure with their purchase.

Bob Denman
08-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Everything here is trying to get balanced on a knife's edge... :shocked: "Free"service, longer warrantees, loaner bikes... These will simply add to the purchase prices of the bike... BRP isn't going to give away the farm! Prices would get raised until there are more cost-competitive machines out there to choose and then The Spyder would become a footnote in History... :gaah:

Sorry Hawk... :opps:

spydee owner
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
First, I feel like we have purchased (especially in the case of the RT) the upper market of motorcycles. So comparatively we bought a Lexus, Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, etc. BRP should look at their service models for inspiration.

2. Supply the dealer with loaner or "courtesy" spyders (instead of people having to leave their vehicles at the dealer for 2 weeks as I have read here more than once)

Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy with my spyder. I just feel like these could be some improvements to justify the costs.
What do you guys think??
It would be great to see, however, it is a pay as you play world, and if you can't pay don't buy the bike. There is no free lunch.
It's like people in most areas do not want to pay higher property taxes, but when it comes time to cut services by their municipality or city, in order to keep tax costs down,people complain. A person cannot have all the services and not pay the taxes to cover the cost. I beleive the same is true for bikes, cars, boats, planes etc.,

Hawk
08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Sorry Hawk... :opps:

Aint hurting my feelings any, I already own a Spyder. Hopefully I never have to have it in for service for an extended time. Again, these are just suggestions.

Bob Denman
08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Nobody can appreciate a good "Wish-List" better than me! I still build some real epic ones at Christmas... :D

MarkLawson
08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Both, BMW and Honda Goldwing have a 3 year warranty, but they are mileage limited.

The free maintenance would just be a plus to sell them.

I know some of the better dealers offer some loaners, but if BRP had this across all dealerships, this would go a great deal toward adding security for buyers.

These are just suggestions to help set themselves apart from the crowd.

It's been 10 years since I bought my '01 GL1800A Goldwing, but when I bought it, they did have a 3-year unlimited mileage warranty. Don't know if that is still the case.

It would be nice, but it's like when the government raises taxes on companies, the companies just pass it along to us, the consumers. Bottom line is that the money eventually comes out of our pockets. As BRP's costs goes up, so do ours.

marvin24
08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
You can buy a cars for $27,000.00 and you get 3 to 10 year warranty. 24 to 100000 thousands miles. Why do you think it cost more to produce a 3 wheeler bike than a 4 wheel car? BRP is making lots of money.

kmakona
08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
You can buy a cars for $27,000.00 and you get 3 to 10 year warranty. 24 to 100000 thousands miles. Why do you think it cost more to produce a 3 wheeler bike than a 4 wheel car? BRP is making lots of money.

Well stated.:clap::clap::clap::agree:

SpyderDen
08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
First of all I'm a Spyder lover, so don't get me wrong. But one thing is certain to me.........if BRP were to offer free maintenance for 2-3 years, I'm quite sure we would see $100-200 oil changes go away. Good grief, I have owned very large motor coaches with 44qt oil capacity and paid less for regular service. I'm just sayin':dontknow:

Lamonster
08-03-2011, 06:02 PM
You can buy a cars for $27,000.00 and you get 3 to 10 year warranty. 24 to 100000 thousands miles. Why do you think it cost more to produce a 3 wheeler bike than a 4 wheel car? BRP is making lots of money.Because they make a lot more cars than 3 wheelers. I can buy a complete header system for a Chevy V8 for $150 bucks but it cost me $600 or more for a V-twin. When numbers go up prices come down.

spyder3
08-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Right now BRP is the only game in town and they are getting TOP dollar for the spiders because of it. If they really wanted to expand that market share while they are by themselves and put more spyders out there do something like a free service or two almost as a good will measure. Create a bigger distance between the newcomer and where brp is. Because all these other companies don't do it, doesn't mean BRP can't or should not.

Lets face it, you spend big $$$$ on the bike, your all excited to ride it and 2 weeks later your back in the shop the the 600 mi service. Another 3-400.00. (and of course thats if you made it to 600 without the dealer not tightening the battery cables:roflblack:)

BRP was daring enough to be different in building the spyder, why not offer a service plan that dares to be different also. :lecturef_smilie: When the competition comes and the margins are pinched, they won't be able to offer these things. It's now or never they way i see it.

marvin24
08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Well said agree!

spyder3
08-03-2011, 07:26 PM
It would be great to see, however, it is a pay as you play world, and if you can't pay don't buy the bike. There is no free lunch.
It's like people in most areas do not want to pay higher property taxes, but when it comes time to cut services by their municipality or city, in order to keep tax costs down,people complain. A person cannot have all the services and not pay the taxes to cover the cost. I beleive the same is true for bikes, cars, boats, planes etc.,

True, only the US gov't can do that. :gaah:

Does anyone know the number of spyders built & sold each year?

Lamonster
08-03-2011, 07:33 PM
True, only the US gov't can do that. :gaah:

Does anyone know the number of spyders built & sold each year?I think there are around 30,000 total.

memphisdan
08-03-2011, 08:29 PM
It is interesting to see peoples perception of the cost of the Spyders, yes they cost a lot of money but my RT was the cheapest thing I found on three wheels except for the RS. Some people want compare them to two wheeled Gold Wings, HD and BMW's but it is not the same. I did not buy and expensive trike but the cheapest one I could find. Not only that I loved the idea it was designed and made by one company, anti lock brakes and a mechanical reverse. How much are the other trikes with those features? While these are expensive toys but they are priced at the bottom of the trike market.

coz
08-03-2011, 08:40 PM
can you imagine what people would do to loaner spyders? especially those with an axe to grind.

MarkLawson
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
It is interesting to see peoples perception of the cost of the Spyders, yes they cost a lot of money but my RT was the cheapest thing I found on three wheels except for the RS. Some people want compare them to two wheeled Gold Wings, HD and BMW's but it is not the same. I did not buy and expensive trike but the cheapest one I could find. Not only that I loved the idea it was designed and made by one company, anti lock brakes and a mechanical reverse. How much are the other trikes with those features? While these are expensive toys but they are priced at the bottom of the trike market.

Part of the costs for bikes converted to trikes is the parts and labor to build the original bike, plus the labor to partially disassemble a significant part of what was already built and then the parts and labor to install the trike kit. Lot's of redoing what you've already paid for.

A fair comparison would be to buy a Spyder and then pay somone to convert it to a two-wheeler. That would add a ton to the total cost & likely result in a two-wheeler that is not as good as a Goldwing or HD or BMW.

Dentin028
08-03-2011, 09:27 PM

What do you guys think??:2thumbs::2thumbs: