PDA

View Full Version : NY State To Michigan Through Canada

kentompkins
08-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Three of us are going to the "3 Lakes In Three Days" ride next weekend from NY State. We want to ride through Canada on the way out and Google Maps suggests Canadian routes 403 and 402 crossing into Canada north of Buffalo.

Are these the best routes? Are there places on these routes we should avoid? It's fussy around Hamilton and St. Catherine but once west of there the roads are straight.

Thanks....

ken tompkins

teadave
08-03-2011, 06:54 AM
that is the most direct/fastest route. shouldn't run in to much traffic unless there is construction.

Tiny1
08-03-2011, 07:20 AM
:agree: From what I remember for that side of the country. Safe ryding:ohyea:

SpyderAnn01
08-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Ken I just came that way from SITA. We crossed at Niagara Falls on Sunday. The border crossing there was really slow and I even had a guy who was directing traffic stop me so he could look at the Spyder. I wasn't thrilled with that as it was really hot and we had been rolling along for at least half an hour. We took a detour to look at the falls so we got on the 403 around 8:30 or 9:00 pm. Now the Canadians had a holiday on Monday so maybe that was why the traffic was so heavy I was surprised at how heavy it was at that hour on a Sunday. We spent the night in Hamilton and the traffic on Monday was very light. The 402 didn't have much traffic at all. There is construction around the Blue Water Bridge in Sarnia and we had a bit of a backup there also. There is not much traffic at anytime on I69 from the border to Flint so you should make good time once you get off the 403.

retread
08-03-2011, 08:45 AM
It's been a looong time since I went that way, but if I remember right, Peace Bridge to QEW to 422 to Blue Water Bridge is the route I took. Was at Camp Drum, home was in Oakland County.

john

SpyderAnn01
08-03-2011, 09:00 AM
It's been a looong time since I went that way, but if I remember right, Peace Bridge to QEW to 422 to Blue Water Bridge is the route I took. Was at Camp Drum, home was in Oakland County.

john

Camp Drum? I guess it has been a long time. It has been Fort Drum for 20 or 30 years!

SpyderSteve
08-03-2011, 09:08 AM

john There is no Highway 422 After crossing into Canada take the QEW east to the 403 West, Follow the 403 untill it ends at the 401 Then take the 401 West to the 402 The 402 will take you to the Bluewater Bridge

SpyderAnn01
08-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Hey Steve what does QEW stand for? Joe and I were trying to figure that out.

Tiny1
08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey Steve what does QEW stand for? Joe and I were trying to figure that out.

Queen Elizabeth Way

SpyderSteve
08-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey Steve what does QEW stand for? Joe and I were trying to figure that out. Queen Elizabeth Way

SpyderAnn01
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Ah, we had the QE but I never would have gotten Way. Thanks.

retread
08-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Camp Drum? I guess it has been a long time. It has been Fort Drum for 20 or 30 years!
Yup, I was at an Air Force radar site on Drum from '60 till '63. Turned me off on winter.

john

Spyderal11
08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
When you leave New York and goe into Canada and back to Michigan do you need a passport?:dontknow:

wyliec
08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
When you leave New York and goe into Canada and back to Michigan do you need a passport?:dontknow:

You need either a passport or the passport card when crossing.

dancogan
08-03-2011, 07:24 PM

You need a passport (or an enhanced drivers license) to get back into the U.S.

wyliec
08-03-2011, 07:31 PM
You need a passport (or an enhanced drivers license) to get back into the U.S.

How many states offer an EDL?

SpyderSteve
08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
How many states offer an EDL? Or get a nexus card

:thumbup:

wyliec
08-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Or get a nexus card

:thumbup:

I'll stick with the passport card, which I already have.

Don't want to hijack this thread; but, if they ever offer something to enhance the speed of going through customs when flying back into the states, I'll buy it.

SpyderSteve
08-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I'll stick with the passport card, which I already have.

Don't want to hijack this thread; but, if they ever offer something to enhance the speed of going through customs when flying back into the states, I'll buy it. It's called a Nexus card $50.00 Cdn for 5 yrs.

SpyderAnn01
08-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Here is an expensive lesson that I learned on our trip through Canada. Don't use your Verizon phone for GPS in Canada. I got a text message from Verizon a day after I left Canada telling me that I had over $50 in data usage charges while in Canada. The worst part is I didn't need the GPS until I got to New York. :gaah:

dancogan
08-04-2011, 06:24 AM
I'll add another couple of thoughts here: due to the high price of gas in Canada and the delays getting back into the U.S. I don't go through Canada very often any more. If you do go through Canada and hate long lines, try crossing back into the U.S. at Marine City/Sombra, which is on the St. Clair River south of Port Huron/Sarnia. The crossing is by ferry which runs about every 15 minutes, very inexpensive, and the border crossing is seldom crowded or busy.

dltang
08-04-2011, 05:18 PM
I'll add another couple of thoughts here: due to the high price of gas in Canada and the delays getting back into the U.S. I don't go through Canada very often any more. If you do go through Canada and hate long lines, try crossing back into the U.S. at Marine City/Sombra, which is on the St. Clair River south of Port Huron/Sarnia. The crossing is by ferry which runs about every 15 minutes, very inexpensive, and the border crossing is seldom crowded or busy.

That is an idea for them but they are stopping for the night in Davison which is about 6 miles from our house. From the Bridge at Sarnia/Port Huron straight west down I-69 they are less than an hour from their destination for the night. So a little wait in line will ultimately save them time.