PDA

View Full Version : Never road a motorcycle

hansensmomx2
08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
My husband and I are taking lessons on a Spyder. We never road before. If we like it we have one on hold !!!:clap:
We live in Athens Michigan. Is there anyone from Western Michigan I'm really nervous.

SpyderDen
08-02-2011, 07:51 PM
:welcome::thumbup::clap:

SpyderAnn01
08-02-2011, 07:53 PM
:welcome: I think I just replied to your husbands post. Where the heck is Athens? I was curious so I looked it up on google. We are about 70 miles north of you. If you get your Spyder we will ride down to meet you. Are both of you learning to ride?

boborgera
08-02-2011, 08:00 PM
My husband and I are taking lessons on a Spyder. We never road before. If we like it we have one on hold !!!:clap:
We live in Athens Michigan. Is there anyone from Western Michigan I'm really nervous.

:welcome:
Believe it or not ,If you never rode a Motorcycle you won't have a problem riding the Spyder,
Remember the Spyder is not a Motorcycle. So no motorcycle habits to unlearn:thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
:welcome:

Get the checkbook ready--you folks are going to love it. The good part about never having ridden a motorcycle is that you won't have to unlearn the two wheeled riding techniques.

:spyder2:'s do handle diffently from 2 wheelers.

hansensmomx2
08-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Athens is about 13 miles south of Battle Creek on 66. Yes I am also taking lessons:yikes: We got the bug when we joined the PGR.I ride in a cage my son's jeep. Our son Jimmy was killed in Iraq on 9-15-10 the PGR were so good to us. We became family. But I wasn't sure about 2 wheels. So we saw the Spyder and thought that was for us.

SpyderAnn01
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
I think we met. I ride with the PGR. Do you wear a t-shirt with your son's picture and his info on the back? I have the black Spyder RT and my husband rides a harley.

The last 3 missions we have been on were all in the Battle Creek area.

hansensmomx2
08-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Yes I think we met. You really helped me out. Thanks

SpyderAnn01
08-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes I think we met. You really helped me out. Thanks

My pleasure. Please let us know how your class goes. Don't be nervous about riding. The Spyder is very easy to ride.

5PYD3R
08-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I live in Bay City, MI!! You will love it. Just picked my Spyder up 2 months ago! Have never really been into riding all that much but after owning a Spyder....I will never own anything else. The others are right, you wont have to worry about unlearning motorcycle habits to ride the Spyder.

8LEGS
08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
:welcome: I ride through Athens a couple times a month. Ever want to meet up give me a holler. :2thumbs:

NancysToy
08-02-2011, 09:21 PM
We're right up M66, in Battle Creek. We both ride Spyders. The class is a good start. Don't be nervous, it is just like learning anything else. Easier than learning to ride a bicycle. If you get one, take it easy at first. Some parking lot practice really helps build skills and confidence. There is a good skills course in the manual that you can use to practice. You'll be ready for the road in no time at all.

bone crusher
08-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Funny use of the word 'road'...very clever...

medic 1
08-02-2011, 09:29 PM
From 1 Gold Star family to another Welcome. You will enjoy it alot I know we have. We got ours in March 2010. We have another Gold Star family here locally that just put a deposit on a silver RTS with the trailer. I invision a road trip at some point. Take care Bill and Ann Marie

Radthorne
08-02-2011, 11:33 PM
My RT-S is my first motorcycle. As of today I have a little over 400 miles on it. Sometimes in reading through the forum here, one can feel a bit intimidated by reading posts by very experienced two wheel riders who feel, shall we say, less than secure on a Spyder. As many of the experienced Spyder riders point out, the riding technique between two wheels and a Spyder is very, very different, which frequently accounts for the two-wheel riders unease. I, without any two wheel experience at all, have been taking to my Spyder like a duck to water. It feels very controllable to me, never wandering around or experiencing the things some others have felt. I think this is in large part to just learning how to ride this machine and not having to "unlearn" anything else. I had one 10 minute ride on the back of a demo machine, then went and took my written test for a permit, then came back and rode the demo machine myself near the dealer for about 15 minutes on quiet side streets. That was it, until I bought my blue BatCycle (as one of my friends call it). Then I rode it home from the dealer, about 20 miles, with a borrowed helmet. It felt wonderful! So - don't worry, take it slow as you figure out how the machine works, and build up your confidence. You'll be puttering around town in no time! I'm riding mine to work nearly everyday, while the sun is shining! (And working my way up to taking some long road trips!)

Major spyder
08-02-2011, 11:42 PM

I have only riden a Vespa scooter for the last 2 yrs. a total of 4K. we are also in the hunt for a Spyder. the first time my wife sat on the Spyder. Quote " I can do this"
so we are near the end of the trail for our first really big Bike. and start touring. Just a side note: my grandmother was born in ... Charlevoix...... and my last name is: Charleboix.... and yes all in the family. but I have never been to your neck of the woods. But I think the Spyder may graviate to your area????

I hope you take the plung

Howard

must I for get!!!! I got to ride on one tonight for the first time. a local guy invited me to come over for a intro........ what a HOOT!!!!!!

bikeguy
08-03-2011, 12:08 AM
As others have said, not having ridden before, you won't have to unlearn any 2 wheel skills so it will probably be easier for you than for many of us. Practice in a large parking lot until you feel really comfortable, then hit the road and have fun. Hope y'all do well in the class and are on your own Spyder very soon.

Cotton