PDA

View Full Version : Trike Course in Georgia?

MarkLawson
07-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Can anyone point me to a trike saftey course in Georgia, preferably in the Atlanta or Lawrenceville area?

Thanks,

Yol Bolsun
07-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Mark, I am not aware of any 'trike' course yet. It would be nice if there was one.

Dragracer
07-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Can't help you in Georgia, but there is a school in Tavares, FL. that has a trike class. My wife took it, and was impressed.

Oldmanzues
07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
If you belong to GoldWing road rider or Goldwing Touring Ass, they have trike courses. It is said, that you have be a member, but I have heard they make exceptions to being members.
Gold luck
Oldmanzues

GASpyderLady
09-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Can anyone point me to a trike saftey course in Georgia, preferably in the Atlanta or Lawrenceville area?

Thanks,

Contact Randy at the Motorcycle Saftey Foundation in Alpharetta, Ga He is the main guy there and they are developing a course - even had some rear trikes there in their barn this summer. They want the course to be out later this year.

Consider their basic bike course excellent even if you do not like two wheels

Con

TuckMiddle
09-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks,

Ray (the training leader) at Earl Smalls in Marietta has the course developed. I asked him last week and he said he hoped to have approval soon. It might be in conjunction with the MSF, by the sounds of another post here. He promised to call when he had approval.
Tuck

MarkLawson
09-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Sounds good.

TuckMiddle
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM

Thanks,

Mark.

I saw Ray Earl, the Harley instructor, at the Cartersville track at the HD dealership this past weekend.
I immediately asked about the progress of the trike class and he said they are in some kind of a paper work review on it now with the state (motor vehicle people, I think). His only negative comment was that it's taking too long - an understatement, that's for sure. I told him several of us are interested and wouldn't mind being the victims in the first class, if they need some people to practice on, kind of like dummies in the crash tests. He reiterated that the paperwork was way behind and he wishes it'd get completed so he could beat me up in front of everyone. So, with that said, I wouldn't plan on a class this weekend or any weekend soon. I also told him several of us "senior citizens" might be available during the week, if that would help. He smiled, he's really a terrific guy, and said they are trying and that's where it is.
Hang in there - one day Ray will call and we'll be off to the races - so to speak.:banghead:
Great to see you the other day - it's super that you're doing well after this past fall's re-inactment of some old problems.

Tuck

Spyderman_09
02-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I have been riding since age 14. I have had my share of accidents all of them moto crossing. In this time I have learned when on th road always be alert, drive defencively and watch out for the idiots in the cars & trucks and you will be okay. Now for learning the handling of a Spyder go to your local high school parking lot and act like a fool to see what will happens when you do or, just enjoy the ride but be aware of all around you. The Spyder is the safest bike I have ever owned and I have had several, and my wife feels totally safe on it!

Some will tell that really know me the only difference years ago between me and Evil K. was he got the million dollars I got broken bones, pins in my spine, shattered knee cap etc.

Always be ALERT
:yes:

Cavman
02-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I was asking the same thing at the GA Spyderlovers meeting last weekend. A couple people there gave me the name of Randy Cooper of MSF at 770-442-2043. I did a reverse search on that number and came up with Honda Rider Education Center in Alpharetta, GA.

I called and talked to Randy. He said they were looking at some time in March for a Spyder course. He took my information and said he would call me when they had some details and a date.

www.offroad-training.org

TuckMiddle
02-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Yes, I forgot to include his name. I've been over there talking to him as recently as December. They had a bunch of Goldwing Trikes in the parking area for the school course then. They do dirt bike, I guess ATV and what ever else anyone could want. Anyway, he said the same. He and Ray are the two honchos of motorcycle training around here, and both are involved in this trike program and trying to get it going. I've taken 1 or 3 experienced rider courses with Ray and they were great. At least it awakes old brain cavities that have heard some of it before. Also, there is a great accident management weekend course taught by some pros that are mostly into Harleys, but that makes no diff. It's a great course and I'll see if I can get more info. Two of those folks are really anxious to get into this trike course also. I think they can do it most anywhere, but use HD in Cartersville's facilities a lot. They have a track out back also for beginners that Ray teaches.
Best to ya

Tuck

TuckMiddle
03-02-2012, 07:40 AM
3-Wheel Basic RiderCourse (3WBRC)
The best place for a new rider to start once they've made the decision to ridea 3-wheel motorcycle. This course includes four hours of classroom activitiesand up to eight hours of on-cycle riding exercises usually schedule over a twoday period. Course concentrates on slow speed finesse, cornering, braking,swerving, and emergency avoidance skills. Successful completion may lead to an insurance discount. A person must pass a knowledge and skill test forsuccessful completion. Course is being considered in GA to receive a license waiver to receive your “M” license, if you don't have one now, in the future. No specifics or date as of this writing.

The above is the proposed Trike course to be offered by Earl Small Harley/Cartersville HD, in Cartersville.
First classe will hopefully be the end of this month. Ray Earls is the Director for Training and can be contacted at ridersedge@earlsmallshd.com (ridersedge@earlsmallshd.com) or 770-919-0000x56. This is not a Riders Edge Course, it's a MSF Course

MSF has renamed a couple of courses - the Experienced
Rider Course is now the Basic RiderCourse2 {nothing changed but the name}.
The 3WBRC allows us instructors to adapt to the attendees. It is a
combination between the beginners course and the experienced course rolled
into one format. So what I am trying to point out - do not be fooled by the
name - as the instructor I can adjust my coaching to the needs of the
students and the motorcycles involved.
It is a transition course in that it is similar to the two wheel BRC2
{Experienced Course}, designed to help individuals get use to their own MC
and allow the coaches to coach to the student and MC level. You can
describe it as a good transition course, because it allows the instructor to personalize the course to the skill levels involved. :yes:. Ray is a superb instructor and person and has been running the courses for Earl Smalls' locations for many years. He's one of 4 trike instructors in the state, with one of the other three on his staff also.

"This is not a paid endorsement or any of that stuff. Just the facts, man!"

Tuck

Yol Bolsun
03-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Tuck, you are good!

MarkLawson
03-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Looks good! In three weeks I'll be on a cruise, but will be available before & after, except for SpyderFest.

Thanks Tuck, you're the best!

TuckMiddle
04-07-2012, 05:19 AM
3-Wheel Basic RiderCourse (3WBRC)
The best place for a new rider to start once they've made the decision to ridea 3-wheel motorcycle. This course includes four hours of classroom activitiesand up to eight hours of on-cycle riding exercises usually schedule over a twoday period. Course concentrates on slow speed finesse, cornering, braking,swerving, and emergency avoidance skills. Successful completion may lead to an insurance discount. A person must pass a knowledge and skill test forsuccessful completion. Course is being considered in GA to receive a license waiver to receive your “M” license, if you don't have one now, in the future. No specifics or date as of this writing.

The above is the proposed Trike course to be offered by Earl Small Harley/Cartersville HD, in Cartersville.
First classe will hopefully be the end of this month. Ray Earls is the Director for Training and can be contacted at ridersedge@earlsmallshd.com (ridersedge@earlsmallshd.com) or 770-919-0000x56. This is not a Riders Edge Course, it's a MSF Course

MSF has renamed a couple of courses - the Experienced
Rider Course is now the Basic RiderCourse2 {nothing changed but the name}.
The 3WBRC allows us instructors to adapt to the attendees. It is a
combination between the beginners course and the experienced course rolled
into one format. So what I am trying to point out - do not be fooled by the
name - as the instructor I can adjust my coaching to the needs of the
students and the motorcycles involved.
It is a transition course in that it is similar to the two wheel BRC2
{Experienced Course}, designed to help individuals get use to their own MC
and allow the coaches to coach to the student and MC level. You can
describe it as a good transition course, because it allows the instructor to personalize the course to the skill levels involved. :yes:. Ray is a superb instructor and person and has been running the courses for Earl Smalls' locations for many years. He's one of 4 trike instructors in the state, with one of the other three on his staff also.

"This is not a paid endorsement or any of that stuff. Just the facts, man!"

Tuck

Saw Ray yesterday at the Cartersville HD Dealer. He has scheduled a class for May5 and 6th at the Cartersville facility. Most of the info is above. I will contact him on Monday and post all updated info on here. Minimum of six tikes per class and it won't be all Spyders - first come first serve. :clap:. Might be a good idea to e-mail Ray to reserve a slot, if you're interested in the May class. Additional sessions will be scheduled as required.

CORRECTION: Maximum per class is 6, not the minimum. My bad!!

See you there??

Tuck

Cavman
04-07-2012, 07:20 AM
The Randy Cooper never called me back in March. So, I'm guessing he never got his act together with a course?

I have another event to attend the first weekend in May. Will have the Spyder with me too.

sewnonnie
04-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Saw Ray yesterday at the Cartersville HD Dealer. He has scheduled a class for May5 and 6th at the Cartersville facility. Most of the info is above. I will contact him on Monday and post all updated info on here. Minimum of six tikes per class and it won't be all Spyders - first come first serve. :clap:. Might be a good idea to e-mail Ray to reserve a slot, if you're interested in the May class. Additional sessions will be scheduled as required.

Tuck

Thank you, Tuck. I just sent an email to Ray and let him Know that Keith and I are both interested.

Melanie

TuckMiddle
04-13-2012, 06:21 AM
I find it to believe that most everyone thinks he is such a good Spyder, or any bike rider, that a course like this a waste of time. MSF and Earl Small have stepped up to the pitcher's mound for us and there are few Spyder hitters on deck.

Your choice, but you will learn a few things, despite your 40 years (or 40 days) of riding.

Give it some priorities, please.

Tuck

MarkLawson
04-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Tuck,

May 5th & 6th don't work for us. Is there a schedule posted somewhere for other dates?

Hawk
04-13-2012, 08:56 AM
I am interested as well.

TuckMiddle
04-14-2012, 07:51 AM
I am interested as well.

Contact Ray Earls, info in one of the above posts. He's the contact and is anxious to help us.

Tuck

sewnonnie
04-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I have emailed Ray and he advised there may be a discount for couples or a group rate. Keith and I would like to see an "all Spyder" class. I will contact Ray to see, if we have at least 6 riders interested, if he can set up a date for a GA Spyder Riders group trike course with a group discount.

TuckMiddle
04-14-2012, 02:39 PM
I have emailed Ray and he advised there may be a discount for couples or a group rate. Keith and I would like to see an "all Spyder" class. I will contact Ray to see, if we have at least 6 riders interested, if he can set up a date for a GA Spyder Riders group trike course with a group discount.

Good luck with that. HD is pretty inflexable in general, but it might work.

I'm taking the May 5th class, unless it never happens, don't even know the cost. I think the MSF program at the Honda facility in Alpharetta is $300, at least that was what one person told me couple months ago. Don't know if they have conducted a class or not. Think they were trying for May 9/10

Tuck

sewnonnie
04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Good luck with that. HD is pretty inflexable in general, but it might work.

I'm taking the May 5th class, unless it never happens, don't even know the cost. I think the MSF program at the Honda facility in Alpharetta is $300, at least that was what one person told me couple months ago. Don't know if they have conducted a class or not. Think they were trying for May 9/10

Tuck

Ray told me the cost without a discount was $250

TuckMiddle
04-20-2012, 04:30 PM
A reminder that the MSF Trike Course will be conducted May 5 & 6 at the Cartersville Harley dealer in Cartersville. Ray is still looking for firm attendees. I know he has my application, don't know how many others. All info is in this Trike blog, in about the middle. I don't know if you've attended a MSF course, but I can assure you they are comprehensive and surprising in content. Nothing short of excellant.

rayearls@earlsmallshd.com:firstplace:

Tuck

TuckMiddle
04-30-2012, 05:19 AM
Ray sent an e-mail that everything is a go for this coming weekend.

His e-mail is rayearls@earlsmallshd.com.

He's still got 2 slots if y'all are interested. The weather should be warm and as of now, no rain.

Hope to see you there. :yes:

Tuck

TuckMiddle
05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
You folks missed the fun this past weekend. Ray did a super job, as always, and the class was a huge success. Three TriGlides and my RT were in the class. Two no shows, which they were disappointed to have.

No rain, but pretty warm days. 1/2 day on the trikes and 1/2 day in the class environment - both portions were excellant.

Spyder did well and the rider sure enjoyed the "workout."

I can't imagine anyone not learning, or at least re-learning some of the basics. :firstplace:

Tuck

Questions
06-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Talked to Raymond this pm and he said they could provide the course if three people sign up.
I would guess that also means that those three and Raymond can agree on dates.