PDA

View Full Version : What does a Spyder RS weigh?

dshogman
07-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a 2009. Yesterday I weighed at a state scale. It read 840#. The brochure for the 2011 shows dry weight of 699#. Fuel was almost full so add 36#.
I have saddlebags, comfort seat, touring windshield and Helibar installed. Didn't think the saddlebags were that heavy. How does this add up to additional 105#.
Or was the 2009 heavier than the 2011?
Just interested. Any ideas out there?
Thanks.

boborgera
07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a 2009. Yesterday I weighed at a state scale. It read 840#. The brochure for the 2011 shows dry weight of 699#. Fuel was almost full so add 36#.
I have saddlebags, comfort seat, touring windshield and Helibar installed. Didn't think the saddlebags were that heavy. How does this add up to additional 105#.
Or was the 2009 heavier than the 2011?
Just interested. Any ideas out there?
Thanks.

If you read motorcycle magazine's much you find that almost all testers question all the manufacturers claimed weight.
Like we used to say in Brooklyn; What the manufacturer clams and 20 cents will get you on a subway.:roflblack:

dragonslayer
07-31-2011, 02:22 PM
I could be wrong but i think dry weight means with no oil or gas. Larry

boborgera
07-31-2011, 04:41 PM
I could be wrong but i think dry weight means with no oil or gas. Larry

Yes, Your right but the poster is accounting for that.

NancysToy
07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Well, gasoline weighs seven pounds per gallon, so add 40 pounds for that, and another eight for the oil. Toss in another seven for the coolant. The bags and brackets are at least 40 pounds. A comfort seat will add about five, in my estimation, and the windshield about the same. Not sure about the helibars, but they are likely heavier since they are larger. If you have footboards or highway pegs, thats a bit, too. Mrror extensions would add a bit more, as would custom hand grips or a Throttlemeister. An aftermarket muffler would provide a reduction.

699+40+8+7+40+5+5+?=804+, so we are closer. The scale is probably only accurate to the nearest 20, so you may not be that far off. I have never seen a motorcycle that could match the factory guestimates as to the dry weight. They are all optimistic, IMO. Why should the Spyder be different? :roflblack:

Ga Blue Knight
07-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey, you all planning on riding that Spyder or carrying it?:roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Manufacturer's claims?? They drain everything and then re-fill it with Helium! :shocked:

dshogman
08-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Actually folks, I will be carrying it (part of the time). As a full time RVer, I take everything with me when I travel. I'll have a new TandemTow trailer in a few weeks - the Spyder goes across the front and the car's front wheels are on a dolly at the rear. The weight question comes about so I can compute what will be tongue weight on the back of the coach. When I get where I'll be staying for a while, both come off the trailer and that's when I ride!! :clap: