PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions: ESI 4.5" Easy Risers

daveinva
07-30-2011, 09:48 PM
I can't even call this a review, seeing as I was able to ride my Spyder for all of five miles from my house to the dealership.

(I botched my install, and screwed up my turn signal selector, so I took it in this morning; you can read more about that here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31158-ESI-Easy-Risers-and-the-nightmare-of-cable-slack).
I'll do a proper full review once I get my Spyder back (probably sometime in September, with my luck :gaah:)

In the meantime, my first impression is favorable: the risers do precisely what they're designed to do, my riding position on the RS is now so comfortable, it feels like I'm riding an easy chair.

That said, *that* is kind of a downside.

I admit, unlike many, I didn't find the stock RS position all that bad for me. At 5'10", I had a little "sport bike" lean going on, but that didn't hurt my back or my arms. Nope, where it did a number on me was in my *hips*, combined with too-high pegs (my RIVCO floorboards have been on backorder for months... grrr).

Still, that sport bike position was comfortable AND great fun for rides around town and in the twisties. That position does wonders for connecting you to the feel of the road. Sadly, however, I discovered that sitting on the bike for more than 50 miles at a time wasn't fun, and a full gas tank ride was pretty much out of the question. Since I'd like to eventually go touring on my RS from time to time, the risers were a must-have.

Anyway, for the RS owners out there on the fence about risers, I suggest being very conscious of your riding style. If you just use your Spyder for short trips and goof-offs, you might not want to change that. But if you want to range forth out on the open road, I think the risers are probably going to be your single best investment.

More on my risers once I ever get my bike back... :banghead:

tobor9
07-31-2011, 12:14 AM
I just put them on my RS and love them:yes: It took some work to get enough slack to get them where I wanted them, but it worked. Now with the ultra tourning windshield I can set up and ride for hours.

Blue Star
07-31-2011, 12:23 AM
I can't even call this a review, seeing as I was able to ride my Spyder for all of five miles from my house to the dealership.

(I botched my install, and screwed up my turn signal selector, so I took it in this morning; you can read more about that here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31158-ESI-Easy-Risers-and-the-nightmare-of-cable-slack).
I'll do a proper full review once I get my Spyder back (probably sometime in September, with my luck :gaah:)

In the meantime, my first impression is favorable: the risers do precisely what they're designed to do, my riding position on the RS is now so comfortable, it feels like I'm riding an easy chair.

That said, *that* is kind of a downside.

I admit, unlike many, I didn't find the stock RS position all that bad for me. At 5'10", I had a little "sport bike" lean going on, but that didn't hurt my back or my arms. Nope, where it did a number on me was in my *hips*, combined with too-high pegs (my RIVCO floorboards have been on backorder for months... grrr).

Still, that sport bike position was comfortable AND great fun for rides around town and in the twisties. That position does wonders for connecting you to the feel of the road. Sadly, however, I discovered that sitting on the bike for more than 50 miles at a time wasn't fun, and a full gas tank ride was pretty much out of the question. Since I'd like to eventually go touring on my RS from time to time, the risers were a must-have.

Anyway, for the RS owners out there on the fence about risers, I suggest being very conscious of your riding style. If you just use your Spyder for short trips and goof-offs, you might not want to change that. But if you want to range forth out on the open road, I think the risers are probably going to be your single best investment.

More on my risers once I ever get my bike back... :banghead:

To add to your point about being on the fence. When I installed mine I thought about not cutting off the old bar so if I did not like it I could put it back to the old way. I then figured it might not be safe, and if I did not like it I could just buy a new bar. Turns out I am extremely glad I put on the risers.

Weave2u
07-31-2011, 01:14 AM
My problem really wasn't a back issue either, but I caught myself putting my weight against my palms (and in turn the grips). Laziness on my part I guess, but the risers eliminated that issue.