PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice.......

Rayelljay
07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Got back from a longer than usual ride and my neck was killin' me.....I think I need risers.
My RS is as showroom...no mods at all. two months old and near 2K miles.
My local supplier has both 1" and 3"-4"(?) riser kits.
My question is not the amount of rise but the associated cables and stuff....Will I need to purchase the longer clutch and throttle cables...?
Also, some clarification...:
My dealer advised me that Boris the Spyder will run on 87 octane. I was surprised at that 'cos my '93 Triumph Trident and my Cooper S require the good stuff.
All three have similar compression ratios but don't rev anywhere near as high as Boris.
I don't have any idea of the ethanol content here in Kernersvile NC but she does run well but I say that not having a decent basis for comparison.
I've read in another thread that dosing 87 octane with a booster is OK but my last experiences with that stuff led to burnt exhaust valves (a friends old Velocette).
I love my Spyder and he has been out for at least an hour every day so far....even in this heat. We've some nice runs around here and, honestly, the older I get, the less fast I need to go.
Very little highway to date and I've had her up to around 80 or so. On a clear road the ride is wonderful but the buffeting around traffic kinda wears on me...I think need a larger windshield too...!!!
Yeah, I love the Cooper too.....I'm a bassist (Roscoe Beck Precision 5 string) and Coop holds my necessaries plus the mobel boats to the lake, the aircraft to the field. The helicopters I can fly in the front yard.
'Nuff of me....talk and hopefully meet you later.

Ray

vampyregirl
07-29-2011, 05:06 PM
I put 4 inch risers on mine and did not have to get longer cables. Just had to cut one zip tie that was close to the trunk. From what I've read around here, anything more than 4 inch risers may need longer cables....

boborgera
07-29-2011, 05:07 PM
The 4 inch risers will work:thumbup: So will 87 octane. But [here we go again] I only use 91/93 octane in my 08GS:ohyea:

COOLMACHINE
07-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I always used 87 with no problems.

dvmdf
07-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Used 91 for 2 years, now switched to 87, no difference, manual states 87

Weave2u
07-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I recently installed the 4.5" risers. I did have an issue with the clutch sensor wires, but someone on here mentioned there is plenty of wire buried in the square tube under the instrument panel, resolved that issue. As for octane, I typically use 87, but started adding Star Tron to the tank also. I've never noticed any pinging, so lower octane must be ok.

bone crusher
07-29-2011, 06:59 PM
3 or 4 inch risers will make a huge difference. You'll love the change! As far as the octane goes, no benefit for higher octane. This horse has been beaten to death many times over!

mowin
07-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Another :thumbup: for star-tron. Smoother idle and better acceleration.

Rayelljay
07-29-2011, 07:18 PM
I knew I could get good info.
So, tomorrow I'll fillup with 87 and go get the risers.
Got a fair amount to do yet....no-one told me of the additional expenses, though...Boris wouldn't fit through the door of my existing barn (duh)so I purchased a new 10'x12' barn which will be the SpyderHaus.
Gotta build a ramp into it over the next few days and temperatures are going to be up there. Time to break out the lights and work while it's dark.
Hope to attend the meet and greet in G'boro tomorrow.
Many thanks.\,
Ray

Weave2u
07-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Go for it Ray... This thing went from transportation to hobby before I even realized it...:roflblack:

:spyder: on!!

Rayelljay
07-29-2011, 11:37 PM
You got that right.....been lookin' at lights and such too....some nice systems out there but awful spensive.

I'm leaning toward driving lights as opposed to accent lights but the dealer wants $400 for a system.

But, first things first....the ramp to the SpyderHaus comes first.....Lowes this weekend for timber. Have to be a mite creative with the construction 'cos I have a tricky approach.

Later....

NancysToy
07-30-2011, 06:34 AM
You got that right.....been lookin' at lights and such too....some nice systems out there but awful spensive.

I'm leaning toward driving lights as opposed to accent lights but the dealer wants $400 for a system.

But, first things first....the ramp to the SpyderHaus comes first.....Lowes this weekend for timber. Have to be a mite creative with the construction 'cos I have a tricky approach.

Later....
I built the approach ramp to my shed with stone. Nancy's Spyder likes it just fine.

Dentin028
07-30-2011, 03:34 PM
If you have about 2K you have been riding long fine.. unless all you do is short rides. My :f_spider: is also new and I don't want to add things to it unless it is needed. I do have Roxie now at the dealer and they are putting the 1 inch riser. I do think this is all I need. I'm 5' 6" and I don't feel bad on it but I want to do long trips later with my hubby who has an RT. I do have neck/shoulder problems but that has not stopped me from ryding it at all. I love how the handle bar look so sleek on it so I would only do the 1 inch riser and not change the look that I love.

Another thing is that going fast the wind is on my chest.. so I did put on the 23 inch brp windshield and love it!! I'm more comftrable with it. However, when its a short ride on a hot day.. I switch them.. to the smaller one.. It is all on how you feel to have an enjoyable ride.

drhinckley
07-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Actually, by looking at my service manual, the engine is controlled by a very sophisticated digital control system. That is why we can get away with 83 Octane. The engine has a knock sensor as well as coolant temp sensor and ambient air temp sensor. Along with the MAP and HO2S sensor, the engine is pretty flexible when it comes to octane rating. I read where high ethanol content is bad for the engine and decreases fuel mileage. The following link sheds a little more light on the ethanol issue. http://chopper-parts-accessories-review.toptenreviews.com/how-the-epa-approval-of-increased-ethanol-in-gasoline-will-affect-your-ride.html Something to think about and AMA is sounding off on the issue to the government.