PDA

View Full Version : Email from carlo

aka1004
07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Greetings Mr. Oh
As you requested in our last telephone conversation, I am pleased to provide the following information in response to your questions:
Does the SpyderTM have an absolute or soft wall REV limiter? The RT has a soft wall and the RS/GS, your model, an absolute wall.
How can you over-rev a vehicle with a rev. limiter? You cannot.
At what RPM is the Spyder over-revving? 9250 RPM.
I trust that this is to your satisfaction and thank you for communicating with BRP.

Carlo
Représentant Spyder Web – Groupe Support à la clientèle
Spyder Web Representative – Consumer Services Group
BRP
75, rue J-A Bombardier | Sherbrooke | QC | Canada | J1L 1W3
T +1.715.848.4957 USA - +1.819.566.3366 Canada - 1.888.864.2002 | F +1.819.566.3062
*www.brp.com
*www.spyder.brp.com

boborgera
07-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Greetings Mr. Oh
As you requested in our last telephone conversation, I am pleased to provide the following information in response to your questions:
Does the SpyderTM have an absolute or soft wall REV limiter? The RT has a soft wall and the RS/GS, your model, an absolute wall.
How can you over-rev a vehicle with a rev. limiter? You cannot.
At what RPM is the Spyder over-revving? 9250 RPM.
I trust that this is to your satisfaction and thank you for communicating with BRP.

Carlo
Représentant Spyder Web – Groupe Support à la clientèle
Spyder Web Representative – Consumer Services Group
BRP
75, rue J-A Bombardier | Sherbrooke | QC | Canada | J1L 1W3
T +1.715.848.4957 USA - +1.819.566.3366 Canada - 1.888.864.2002 | F +1.819.566.3062
*www.brp.com (http://www.brp.com)
*www.spyder.brp.com (http://www.spyder.brp.com)

I guess that helps your case a little, At least you know it wasn't you.

Bob Denman
07-30-2011, 06:26 AM
"Absolute wall" vs "Soft Wall" rev limiter?? An explanation of the difference would be appreciated...

Firefly
07-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Ok-- so refresh my mind---- is BRP or your dealing saying you caused some damage by high revs???

MouthPiece
07-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Sounds oxymoronic to me.

Chris

BajaRon
07-30-2011, 12:55 PM
"Absolute wall" vs "Soft Wall" rev limiter?? An explanation of the difference would be appreciated...

I'm sure I could Google this and get the right answer... But I LOVE Guessing first!

I'd say a "Hard" wall means the ECM is going to do everything possible to keep you from exceeding the set RPM. Including cutting spark and fuel. So you're going to literally 'Hit a Wall' at 9250.

A "Soft" wall then would mean the ECM is going to work at keeping you at or below 9250 rpm but it will accomplish this in staged events like retarding ignition first and then adding more restrictions as needed. I would guess that the soft wall would also let you go somewhat above the 9250 mark as the ECM implemented its bag of tricks.

Engineers set Red Line RPM somewhat below where the engine will damage itself. But this takes into consideration a broken-in engine where all the parts have had time to seat and properly mate with the other components. Red Line for a brand new engine is a much lower number. Add to this the fact that at the factory the engines are run without ignition for a set amount of time and then run again under power for more time giving the showroom new model a fair amount of proper break-in before selling it to the customer.

Having an engine built from scratch requires a bit more care in the first few miles.

Bob Denman
07-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Thanks! I was thinking along those lines, but my ignorance had me figuring that I was lying to myself again! :thumbup:

bjt
07-31-2011, 06:58 AM

I'm sure I could Google this and get the right answer... But I LOVE Guessing first!

I'd say a "Hard" wall means the ECM is going to do everything possible to keep you from exceeding the set RPM. Including cutting spark and fuel. So you're going to literally 'Hit a Wall' at 9250.

A "Soft" wall then would mean the ECM is going to work at keeping you at or below 9250 rpm but it will accomplish this in staged events like retarding ignition first and then adding more restrictions as needed. I would guess that the soft wall would also let you go somewhat above the 9250 mark as the ECM implemented its bag of tricks...

I didn't know what that meant either but wasn't curious enough to ask. I figured it was that a Hard or Absolute wall meant it was regulated by hardware in / on the engine while a Soft wall meant that it was controlled by software in the computer. Ron's guess sounds a lot better than mine.