PDA

View Full Version : Love my SPYDER, but have exhaust gasket problems

Glider3J
07-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Hello Everyone, I have been lurking since November 2008 and felt it is time to finally post something. I love my SPYDER and have around 6,000 miles on it. I am leaving for Sturgis next week. :2thumbs: Last week I was riding with the Alabama crowd, on the way home my exhaust gasket failed (for the second time, first time was 1,500 miles) this time it also melted the brake master cylinder. I was able to stop with working brakes but had to trailer it to the shop. They say it will be ready for my trip!!!. Has anyone else had multiple failures of this gasket? I have the Goldwing part number and will buy a spare along with spare springs and clamps. THANKS for all the information this site provides!!!!

boborgera
07-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Hello Everyone, I have been lurking since November 2008 and felt it is time to finally post something. I love my SPYDER and have around 6,000 miles on it. I am leaving for Sturgis next week. :2thumbs: Last week I was riding with the Alabama crowd, on the way home my exhaust gasket failed (for the second time, first time was 1,500 miles) this time it also melted the brake master cylinder. I was able to stop with working brakes but had to trailer it to the shop. They say it will be ready for my trip!!!. Has anyone else had multiple failures of this gasket? I have the Goldwing part number and will buy a spare along with spare springs and clamps. THANKS for all the information this site provides!!!!

Mine [08] started to go at 6,000 also, Totally done at 8,000 I replaced them [goldwing] 18,000 so far still good.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Gee... :shocked: I'm at 5800 at counting! Perhaps the next ride should go past a Honda dealership???

Trickie Dick
07-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Gee... :shocked: I'm at 5800 at counting! Perhaps the next ride should go past a Honda dealership???
:agree:

Bob Denman
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
So once again...
Honda part number 18392-MAM-000
$6.99 each! :thumbup:

boborgera
07-27-2011, 10:21 AM

The stock gaskets are warranted for 18,641 miles or 5 years, But it wasn't worth my time to go to the dealer,
So i just put the Goldwings in.:thumbup: Besides in order to replace them under warranty the dealer has to use the BRP gaskets.:(

CaptRalph
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
The stock gaskets are warranted for 18,641 miles or 5 years, But it wasn't worth my time to go to the dealer,
So i just put the Goldwings in.:thumbup: Besides in order to replace them under warranty the dealer has to use the BRP gaskets.:(

:agree: Absolutely! Put on the Goldwing gaskets and it will be one less thing to worry about.

Fly boy
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
So once again...
Honda part number 18392-MAM-000
$6.99 each! :thumbup:

So glad I didn't go to work today and saw this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my 1300 mile trek to Cali, I am pretty sure I fried my gasket. Day 2, 2 hours it I started getting a horid exhaust smell and burning of my eyes. I still had 500 miles left though, so I just adjusted my seating position so I go fresh air on my face the rest of the day.

I don't have a can-am dealership anywhere near me, and really didn't want to ride the 1300 miles back with it like that.

Anyone have a quick link to replacing it, or do I need to start the search? (I hate that button :( )

Ben

p.s. If you are around Santa Maria CA, you are welcome to drink a beer and make fun of me as I attempt to serivce the :spyder2:

Fly boy
07-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Sorry for the double posts, but NOONE around my for 100 miles has a gasket in stock so I have to order one online....

Is Part # HL-18392-MAM-000, different from one listed above (this one has HL)? And if so, will it still work in place of the BRP gasket?

boborgera
07-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Sorry for the double posts, but NOONE around my for 100 miles has a gasket in stock so I have to order one online....

Is Part # HL-18392-MAM-000, different from one listed above (this one has HL)? And if so, will it still work in place of the BRP gasket?

:dontknow:
Got the bag the gasket came in ,The HL isn't on it.
Maybe it's an updated one They been selling so many of them lately Honda probably figured to many were going bad so they had to make them stronger.:roflblack::roflblack:

NancysToy
07-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Got the bag the gasket came in ,The HL isn't on it.
Maybe it's an updated one They been selling so many of them lately Honda probably figured to many were going bad so they had to make them stronger.:roflblack::roflblack:
The HL is probably just an added code for that particular vendor, to indicate which of many brands and types of parts it is for. Honda MotorcycLe. Hard to keep your inventory straight when you carry multiple lines.

boborgera
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
The HL is probably just an added code for that particular vendor, to indicate which of many brands and types of parts it is for. Honda MotorcycLe. Hard to keep your inventory straight when you carry multiple lines.

Never thought of that, Makes scents. :2thumbs:

spyder3
07-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Never thought of that, Makes scents. :2thumbs:

Really, the HL gives off an aroma? :roflblack:

Or maybe it just makes sense!! :clap:

Fly boy
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks all. Going to order the part.

retread
07-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Order 2, 1 for each side.nojoke

john

Fly boy
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Order 2, 1 for each side.nojoke

john

*scratching head*

Isn't there only 1 Y-pipe on an 09 RS? Almost straight down from battery?

boborgera
07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
*scratching head*

Isn't there only 1 Y-pipe on an 09 RS? Almost straight down from battery?

The Y [two gaskets] pipes are way forward of the battery, Are we talking about the same thing?:dontknow:

retread
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
There's a pipe from the front cylinder about even with your knee that turns down at the leading edge of the seat on the left, from the rear cylinder, a pipe goes down on the right at the same place. The gaskets go there. There's a much larger diameter gasket at the bottom where the muffler hooks in. Instructions for changing them should be in the "how to" thread.

john

boborgera
07-27-2011, 09:44 PM
There's a pipe from the front cylinder about even with your knee that turns down at the leading edge of the seat on the left, from the rear cylinder, a pipe goes down on the right at the same place. The gaskets go there. There's a much larger diameter gasket at the bottom where the muffler hooks in. Instructions for changing them should be in the "how to" thread.

john
If hes talking about the muffler [large] gasket he'll have to get it from BRP, So far no one has found an alternate for that one.

WackyDan
07-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Here you go.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19691

WackyDan
07-27-2011, 10:04 PM
If hes talking about the muffler [large] gasket he'll have to get it from BRP, So far no one has found an alternate for that one.

That large single gasket for the muffler should last a long - very long time. I just put my stock pipe back on after trying a two bros pipe... and my old gasket was good enough to reuse if I had wanted to... and that was at 15k miles....

MikeinGA
07-28-2011, 09:21 PM
That large single gasket for the muffler should last a long - very long time. I just put my stock pipe back on after trying a two bros pipe... and my old gasket was good enough to reuse if I had wanted to... and that was at 15k miles....

What grade of gas are you using? Sometimes a poor grade or wrong grade of gas can burn out an exhaust gasket.

Glider3J
07-29-2011, 05:22 PM
I have used regualr for the last 4,000 miles. I used high test but quit after the first gasket blew out. I have been following the "what grade to use" on this forum and regular works fine on my Spyder.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!!