PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell an old Harley guy/spyderlover?

challman
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
He buys a stock exhaust and puts it on to replace the custom Exhaust on his Spyder.

The Spyder has no real power until about 3400 to 4000 RPM. But the Hindle makes it sound like you are really getting on it all through the RPM range.

Harleys have Power from the get go. When it is loud it is actually accelerating fast

PLUS

The Harley Makes music and the Spyder makes noise

Don't get me wrong. I will probably NEVER go back to a Harley. But there are still things I miss.

+

The Hindle makes the Spyder run poorly (dead spots hesitation etc) unless you do a fuel modification $300 or more. Harley takes a 6 dollar jet kit

arntufun
07-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I know how to tell a Harley guy from a Spyderlover ...................
=
=
=
=
One has a bar of soap in his house and the other has a chain wallet. :roflblack::roflblack: I'm really going to miss HDXBones for this topic alone. :doorag::doorag: I'm at 3500 RPM's before I let the clutch out. By the way....... I'll smoke a Harley !!! No contest, so I don't know what rock your crawling out from under. LOL !!! just joking with ya.

Ga Blue Knight
07-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I know how to tell a Harley guy from a Spyderlover ...................
=
=
=
=
One has a bar of soap in his house and the other has a chain wallet. :roflblack::roflblack: I'm really going to miss HDXBones for this topic alone. :doorag::doorag: I'm at 3500 RPM's before I let the clutch out. By the way....... I'll smoke a Harley !!! No contest, so I don't know what rock your crawling out from under. LOL !!! just joking with ya.

As an ex HD lover I love my Spyder better as a machine but I miss the ease of working on the Harley. But the new HD are getting to be just as differcult to get right. By the way I have a Hindle that works just fine only farts with ethanol gas:roflblack:

Firefly
07-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Harley's have power? :roflblack:

mdr
07-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I owned a Harley 1200 custom before the spyder, which was pretty quick through all the gears. Not as fast as the vrod, but 1200 cc on a relatively light cruiser wasn't bad. Vance and Hines is coming out with an exhaust for the Spyder in Sept./Oct. They used my Spyder for the prototype to road test and dyno. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the final product.

challman
07-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Harley's have power? :roflblack:

They aren't that fast but they are very fun to ride because of the extreme low end torque.

Smokinspyder
07-26-2011, 11:02 PM
No offense lately HD riders have PISSED ME OFF so much my low opinion of some of them has gotten lower. Not all of them are complete as$$hats, but I thought i got no respect on a sportbike but on bikerpost i read something about some HD guys trying to run another HD rider off the road cause she was a woman .

Yol Bolsun
07-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I learned sumthin' at Wingding33.

What do HD riders get when they go to heaven?

Gold wings. :rolfblack:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris56
07-27-2011, 01:46 AM
I tell my friends .. you are never too old to change from a typewriter to PC -( my springer-softtail losta lot of parts and the license plate on the first trip over the alps .. had to change ..)

Bob Denman
07-27-2011, 06:43 AM
What's the rarest Harley that you have ever seen? :shocked:

Any one of them with the factory exhaust system still intact!! :roflblack::ohyea:

Ga Blue Knight
07-27-2011, 06:44 AM
I learned sumthin' at Wingding33.

What do HD riders get when they go to heaven?

Gold wings. :rolfblack:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They go to heaven?

boborgera
07-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Hmmmm, let's see.....

Spyder- 60 ft lbs torque @ the rear wheel

My Harley- 110 ft lbs torque @ the rear wheel

Weight difference- minimal

I know which one is faster, but it sure is fun watching some of you guys try to convince each other otherwise.......:roflblack:
:ohyea:
Quite a few people who claim they out run Harley's at stop lights, forget one thing; If you don't tell the other guy your racing them you'll beat them every time.:D

arntufun
07-27-2011, 08:29 AM
:ohyea:
Quite a few people who claim they out run Harley's at stop lights, forget one thing; If you don't tell the other guy your racing them you'll beat them every time.:D

No wonder I never lost a race !!! I thought I was Dale Jr. for all this time. :roflblack::roflblack: I still smoke HDX though. As soon as his rear wheel catches the oil leaking from his engine, his torque goes out the window !! :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Ooooooh...:sour:

GloryRyders
07-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Spyder Guy has the Party Hat on............:joke::roflblack:

CaptRalph
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
No wonder I never lost a race !!! I thought I was Dale Jr. for all this time. :roflblack::roflblack: I still smoke HDX though. As soon as his rear wheel catches the oil leaking from his engine, his torque goes out the window !! :roflblack::roflblack:

LOL!!! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Oh it's gonna be on for sure now! :clap:
Hey... Why is your squirrel riding what appears to be a Tri-Glide???

Firefly
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Hmmmm, let's see.....

I know which one is faster, but it sure is fun watching some of you guys try to convince each other otherwise.......:roflblack:

Spyder RS:

77 ft. lbs @ 6250 rpm
106 HP @ 8500 rpm

Spyder RT:

80 ft lbs. @ 5000 rpm
100 HP @ 7500 rpm

---------------------------

I've yet to find an HD that can take me off the line or 0-60 or at all for that matter..... but I have not run against a V-Rod.

Firefly
07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Those are engine specs, measured in a test stand at the crankshaft, not what is actually being put to the pavement.........

Mid 60's for torque is about the best you're going to see......

So how do you explain the Spyder being able to smoke an HD? ;)

Bob Denman
07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
If we're talking about drag racing maybe we should leave this thread to the experts...
To an olphart such as myself it's all about the miles and smiles... :D :clap:
I figure that a rider on a Harley is having just as much fun as me, and that's a great thing!

Smokinspyder
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
HA luck sure . To bad my buddies HD was so far behind me he needed a 50 shot of nitrous to keep up . He did know we were racing btw LOL ha ha not one of them kinda races where one guy wants to the other one doesnt care . Sorry I like some of the HD bikes . But from all the years i been riding my low opinion of MOST of the HD riders just keep getting low . Now its not all of the HD riders but no offense to some of the old HD riders on here but the opinion that has been expressed to me is if its not a HD your not a true biker. ITs not about what you ride, its that you ride .

Bob Denman
07-27-2011, 02:08 PM
It's not about what you ride, it's that you ride .
:agree: Can I get an "Amen" here??? :thumbup:

grumpybob
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
When I'm out in the woods I always want to have someone slower than me with me, for the bears. When I'm in a war jone I want somebody faster than me, for the road bombs. :chat:

rnet
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Lou, we will have to find a lonely road this weekend to find out, but I really don't care, without the girls.

challman
08-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Hmmmm, let's see.....

Torque is never measured at the rear wheel because transmissions make rear wheel torque measurement irrelevant unless you know the gear ratio you could gear it up like a winch and produce 1000s of torque and would accelerate very fast until you reach maybe a 100th of a mile an hour then you would have the engine wrapped up.
This is why horsepower measurement is measured. An engine that has medium amounts of torque at a very high RPM can be geared to have way more rear end torque. This is why so many of superbikes redline at 9 or 10 thousand RPM. The thing that makes Harley feel so powerful is that you have instance throttle response and power without having to get up to 4000 rpm. A high RPM engine is not as much fun in my mind. If I could I would have a Honda VTX 1800 Water cooled engine in my spyder if. High torque and Hi quality, and longevity

jedd
08-02-2011, 07:18 PM
The format has changed but some of the subject manner never will.. this has been some entertaining reading. Thanks to all for keeping it humorous yet somewhat civil.

Jim:thumbup:

glasspyder
08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
6 of one, half dozen of the other, traded my v-rod for an spyder. Kept the buell, and the street glide, never looked back. Dont care what the twits at the partys have to say.
V

Bob Denman
08-03-2011, 06:46 AM
So you're doing the "Vee-6" dance the hard way... Very nice choices! :thumbup:
Two feet in 3 worlds... :2thumbs:

Cliff-Co.
08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
hi firefly I can answer ya question, harley v-rod & spyder, ( i own both), spyder 110 h.p. 700 lbs., & v-rod 600 lbs 135 h.p. (nutt'n beats horse-power--hee hee), they are both titt-for tatt up to 70 m.p.h., & butt then it's bye-bye v-rod, with the spyder in it's rear view mirror !!! :yikes:

boborgera
08-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I just took a long demo ride on a new Tri Glide About 2 hours ago, Impressed me; Definitely not under powered.[103cc]

Bob Denman
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that you meant "Cubic INCHES" ;)

Firefly
08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
hi firefly I can answer ya question, harley v-rod & spyder, ( i own both), spyder 110 h.p. 700 lbs., & v-rod 600 lbs 135 h.p. (nutt'n beats horse-power--hee hee), they are both titt-for tatt up to 70 m.p.h., & butt then it's bye-bye v-rod, with the spyder in it's rear view mirror !!! :yikes:

That wouldn't surprise me in the lease. V-rod is well known for it's power.