PDA

View Full Version : White 2011 RS SE5 for a T-10 of 37 years

markjperry
07-25-2011, 02:07 PM
With the help of you (SpyderLovers) and others my ride is finally done. Can Am 23" Windshield & Tank Bag. Custom Corbin seat w/gas flap. Various lights for safety from Custom Dynamics. Hand Brake, Floorboards, Brake Pedal (lifts upward when it hits my foot), Fancan (to direct warm/hot engine heat downward. All from ISCI.
Parking Brake extension, tabs on floorboards to keep feet from moving and custom made folding wheelchair mount from KGS Custom Cycles. http://www.kgscustommachine.com/home.htm (Thank you Tom.) The WC mount will be tweaked in the upcoming weeks based on use. Possible redesign during the winter when there is more time. The WC mount allows easy on/off right beside me and allows me complete and simple independence. Any questions please feel free to email me at markjperry@comcast.net. BTW: Thanks Kim.

JimAlpha
07-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Great looking bike! :congrats: and ride safely. Nice mods also.

BikerDoc
07-25-2011, 02:45 PM
:congrats: You have a beautiful Ryde!!!

fastfraser
07-25-2011, 03:46 PM
:welcome::congrats: Great looking :spyder2: . Glad you got her set up for your needs.

NancysToy
07-25-2011, 05:46 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Makes my heart glow every time I read one of these stories. Enjoy the Ryde!

wolfee
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
You know white is the fastest. Welcome :spyder2:lover.

Bill

redlightron
07-25-2011, 06:03 PM
This is a great story and it's what I have telling folks about the Can-Am and how it has allowed other folks to have a change to ride again or for the first time. I also have a white one - great choice of colors.:congrats::welcome:

boborgera
07-25-2011, 06:31 PM
:congrats::yes::yes::thumbup:

SethO
07-25-2011, 11:49 PM
great job on the setup, how do you keep your knees from flopping around? Do you put your wheelchair pad in the back seat bag?

How many miles you got on that beast? Even before I got hurt I wanted a white bike,its unique and they are cool looking.

markjperry
07-26-2011, 01:10 AM
great job on the setup, how do you keep your knees from flopping around? Do you put your wheelchair pad in the back seat bag?

How many miles you got on that beast? Even before I got hurt I wanted a white bike,its unique and they are cool looking.

Hi: I used a standard leather belt around the post for the backrest. This keeps things well supported especially around corners. 4" Roho is under netting on passenger seat. I bungie it between WC frame and WC tire when I have a passenger. The great thing with this setup is my wife can drive using the footbrake and the rear pegs are free to use when she is a passenger. I only have 200 + miles on it myself. I am in a WC because I was hit by a car while riding my Honda MT125 back in 1974. Also Whie is a great color with awesome visibility. Thanks for asking.

ARtraveler
07-26-2011, 01:58 AM
:welcome::congrats: on the beautiful ryde.

SethO
07-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Hi: I used a standard leather belt around the post for the backrest. This keeps things well supported especially around corners. 4" Roho is under netting on passenger seat. I bungie it between WC frame and WC tire when I have a passenger. The great thing with this setup is my wife can drive using the footbrake and the rear pegs are free to use when she is a passenger. I only have 200 + miles on it myself. I am in a WC because I was hit by a car while riding my Honda MT125 back in 1974. Also Whie is a great color with awesome visibility. Thanks for asking.

how does the belt go from the back rest to around your knees or can you feel enough of your legs to not have them flap in the wind? your Feet stay on the floorboards without edges? with a Folding WC how long, roughly does it take to get on and off your spyder?

markjperry
07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
:congrats: You have a beautiful Ryde!!!

I love the artwork on the hood. How was that done and what is the price range for something like that? Thanks

markjperry
07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
how does the belt go from the back rest to around your knees or can you feel enough of your legs to not have them flap in the wind? your Feet stay on the floorboards without edges? with a Folding WC how long, roughly does it take to get on and off your spyder?

My belt goes around the backrest and my waist. This keeps by body from sliding. I'm a complete t-10, no feeling or ability to move. Knees are fine. KGS made custom tabs for the floorboards. Needed only one on the left side. 3 on the right, one one the outside, one in the back to keep from hitting exhaust and a small angle on the inside of the right foot to keep from hitting foot brake linkage. Folding WC on frame and belted in about a minute. I hang front of chair on back bracket, lift back of chair and guide rod through spokes to receiver and ratchet stap around folded frame to passenger handle. Send me an email and I will send you pictures of tabs and parking brake extension. It's all well thought out, efficient and works great. Thanks for your interest.

SethO
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
My belt goes around the backrest and my waist. This keeps by body from sliding. I'm a complete t-10, no feeling or ability to move. Knees are fine. KGS made custom tabs for the floorboards. Needed only one on the left side. 3 on the right, one one the outside, one in the back to keep from hitting exhaust and a small angle on the inside of the right foot to keep from hitting foot brake linkage. Folding WC on frame and belted in about a minute. I hang front of chair on back bracket, lift back of chair and guide rod through spokes to receiver and ratchet stap around folded frame to passenger handle. Send me an email and I will send you pictures of tabs and parking brake extension. It's all well thought out, efficient and works great. Thanks for your interest.

how many miles you have on now? The setup works well for you still.

markjperry
08-01-2011, 11:42 PM
how many miles you have on now? The setup works well for you still.

600 miles so far. Calling for it's first maintenance tomorrow. It's been incredible so far. Waited 37 years for this. Only negative is living in New England I will have to put it away for a few months but will leave me more time to watch the Patriots, Bruins and Celtics. I hate being out in cold weather. Thanks for your interest, I hope all is well with you and every other Spyder ryder.

floto612
08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi markjerry,

Just wanted to congratulate you, and wish you so much fun and excitement. I too was left 'vertically challenged' as a T12 in 1974. Now have 36,000 kms on my Spyder since summer of 2008. Slow and steady......firstly, be safe.

Tonga
08-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I am Inspired!! Have Fun.

warp10
08-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Awesome, glad you are enjoying your new ride :2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
08-10-2011, 10:04 AM
What an awesome ride! I love that you are able to take your wife with you and that she can also drive it herself. Seth you could follow his setup and you'd have room for a girlfriend on yours!

markjperry
08-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Almost 1000 miles already. I love it. Still working out all the finite details to safety, comfort and accessibility. We tweaked the steel tube pipe rack that was installed on the Spyder. I believe that mounting a folding WC takes little effort compared to lifting an entire rigid frame WC and throwing it well behind you, and reaching back to lift and put back on the ground. Its better for the shoulders and the WC.

The process of mounting the folding wheelchair is:
1. Fold chair and face toward back of bike
2. Raise front of WC upward like popping a wheelie to hang front of WC on rear support.
3. Lift rear of chair and pass a straight tube w/ ring on end through spokes to a pin installed on WC armrest tube sleeve. (lifting the chair is easy because weight in front of WC is already hung on support.)
4. Slide cushion between outside wheel and frame of WC and support with bungee. (Since the WC is mounted a few inches away from Spyder there is no need to use cushion as a bumper. I prefer this as I do not want to flatten a $350 ROHO cushion. Also this gives the passenger plenty of room for leg on the rear peg.)

We plan to revamp the steel tube piping with a thinner more supportive plate. It was felt the tubing was less intrusive, but works out that a custom cut plate will work as good if not better.

So far I highly recommend the parking brake extension. All of my modifications are being done by www.kgscustommachine.com.
Talk with Tom if you have any questions. Any questions for me please contact me at markjperry@comcast.net

I plan to take pictures and possibly a brief video of mounting the chair at a later date.
Thank you and happy Spydering

SethO
08-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Almost 1000 miles already. I love it. Still working out all the finite details to safety, comfort and accessibility. We tweaked the steel tube pipe rack that was installed on the Spyder. I believe that mounting a folding WC takes little effort compared to lifting an entire rigid frame WC and throwing it well behind you, and reaching back to lift and put back on the ground. Its better for the shoulders and the WC.

The process of mounting the folding wheelchair is:
1. Fold chair and face toward back of bike
2. Raise front of WC upward like popping a wheelie to hang front of WC on rear support.
3. Lift rear of chair and pass a straight tube w/ ring on end through spokes to a pin installed on WC armrest tube sleeve. (lifting the chair is easy because weight in front of WC is already hung on support.)
4. Slide cushion between outside wheel and frame of WC and support with bungee. (Since the WC is mounted a few inches away from Spyder there is no need to use cushion as a bumper. I prefer this as I do not want to flatten a $350 ROHO cushion. Also this gives the passenger plenty of room for leg on the rear peg.)

We plan to revamp the steel tube piping with a thinner more supportive plate. It was felt the tubing was less intrusive, but works out that a custom cut plate will work as good if not better.

So far I highly recommend the parking brake extension. All of my modifications are being done by www.kgscustommachine.com (http://www.kgscustommachine.com).
Talk with Tom if you have any questions. Any questions for me please contact me at markjperry@comcast.net

I plan to take pictures and possibly a brief video of mounting the chair at a later date.
Thank you and happy Spydering

that would be a cool video to see, did you do a 1000 mile trip or 1000 miles total? I have had a few holds in the roho pad from being messed up on trips, still its WAY better than the foam ones, especially in the rain. it would be cool if you had some video of you riding to to check the difference. Do you use it for a daily driver?

kawakii
08-18-2011, 01:55 PM
The Modifications look awesome ! We should really get together since we are right over the line in NH. Love the wheelchair rack--great set up for a folding wheelchair. Our wheelchair is mounted on the back since it's a rigid frame. We are installing a handbrake so I can drive or learn to this month then Jake can weasle his way into a two wheelbike and I can take over the Spyder :) Not that I mind too much !

I'm also a para T-10/11injury level. It wouls bw great to see what you do for strapping, etc ..

DietitianBill
08-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Nice bike! You have great taste in color...LOL

markjperry
08-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Like your ride to. What mods have you added for accessibility, safety and comfort?

harleyRick
08-19-2011, 02:18 PM
That's a great looking ride! :2thumbs:

Littlebadwolf
08-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Most Excellent......:clap:

spydrluvr
08-20-2011, 07:20 AM
:congrats: a beautiful ryde indeed! I really love the pearl whyte. Welcome back to the wind enjoy the ryde!:clap::clap:

SethO
08-20-2011, 08:22 PM

cool pic, Its AWESOME to see all the handicrapp riders getting on a riding.

Spyderfest is the one event to make if you guys are not aware. well worth the drive and time.

markjperry
10-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Sorry I have not been able to post any further info, pictures or video. On 8/22/11 I broke my leg and battled pneumonia at the same time. I have not been on the Spyder in the last 7 weeks. The bummer is I was at the point of driving further with each ride. It kills me to think I only put 1200 miles on it so far. I havent got it dirty yet. To those who have been emailing and posting to me, I'm sorry. I hope to finish this project before winter. BTW: I did not brake my leg on the Spyder. Thank you, markjperry@comcast.net

Star Cruiser
10-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Sorry I have not been able to post any further info, pictures or video. On 8/22/11 I broke my leg and battled pneumonia at the same time. I have not been on the Spyder in the last 7 weeks. The bummer is I was at the point of driving further with each ride. It kills me to think I only put 1200 miles on it so far. I havent got it dirty yet. To those who have been emailing and posting to me, I'm sorry. I hope to finish this project before winter. BTW: I did not brake my leg on the Spyder. Thank you, markjperry@comcast.net
I feel your frustration Mark, but you'll continue just fine when the weather gets better. I rode through Maine, New Hampshire, Mass and the other New England States a couple of weeks ago. I appreciate what you said about a short season. It was 6C and Raining for a couple of days off and on.

Take your time to heal and we'll hear about your many miles soon enough! I really liked the write up about how you get out of the WC and onto the bike. Gives a lot of people an appreciation of what we take for granted :lecturef_smilie:

smurfette
10-22-2011, 10:20 PM
What a great looking ryde! Maybe we'll meet up on the road sometyme, I'm in Billerica! Ryde safe!:thumbup:

jimclarkf1
10-22-2011, 11:23 PM
I hope things get better, and it sounds like it will, Seth is the best to talk with, and HOPE to see ya at SPYDERFEST, next spring. SPYDERLOVERS are the BEST.:clap: I bet you can find a lot of :spyder2: going to CUBA, and will help you out with the trip, and details.