PDA

View Full Version : New RTS-SE5 Owner

rafiki2cu
07-23-2011, 07:16 PM
First I would like to say hello to all. I just got my spyder yesterday and put a 150 miles on today. I done all the air and shock adjusting and have to say this is one great ride. Riding a three wheel bike is totally new to me but I plan on putting alot of saddle time in this week to get the feel of things. I would like to ask a question that is probably dumb but here it is. My dealer told me to lean in the curves but that does not seem right to me? Any input would be great for this new spyder owner.

Radthorne
07-23-2011, 07:32 PM
First I would like to say hello to all. I just got my spyder yesterday and put a 150 miles on today. I done all the air and shock adjusting and have to say this is one great ride. Riding a three wheel bike is totally new to me but I plan on putting alot of saddle time in this week to get the feel of things. I would like to ask a question that is probably dumb but here it is. My dealer told me to lean in the curves but that does not seem right to me? Any input would be great for this new spyder owner.

:congrats: New owner here too, with 200 or so miles on the odo. Coming from a non-cycle background, I don't have to unlearn the two-wheeler lean. But the three wheeler lean does help, since otherwise the forces involved want to pitch you off the opposite side in a turn. I've found what works for me is to push back on the foot pegs and make use of the "rump" on the seat to brace myself, while leaning towards the turn, and that makes it easier to stay put.

Lamonster
07-23-2011, 07:53 PM
:welcome:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=16241

rafiki2cu
07-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Your dealer is right and Radguy makes good points too.

I don't know if you have ever ridden a snowmobile but to me that's the best way to describe Spyder Ryding.

Here's what I've learned over the past year and 8500 miles:
When you are moving into a corner, lean into it.
Push the steering bar into the turn with one hand instead of trying to pull it with the other.
The whole motion can best be summarized by trying to kiss your knuckles while turning.

and keep chanting "I'm not riding a motorcycle".

Some seat time and it'll all be second nature.
Thanks for the help. I will give your style and Rad Guys style a try in the morning. I use to ride a snow mobile but that was 40 some years ago. The only thing I can remember about that is it was cold!!!

Leslee
07-23-2011, 09:07 PM
I've had my red RT-S for about a month. On the main forums page, go down to the Chapters forum page and click on North Carolina. Haven't seen an update lately, but I think there's going to be a meet & greet lunch at 11 AM this coming Sat, July 30 at an Applebee's in Greensboro. :2excited: Maybe you can come. I've never met anyone on SpyderLovers but my husband and I plan to be there. Sure hope it cools down a little that day. :welcome:

Boriken
07-24-2011, 06:52 AM
:welcome: & :congrats: on your new ryde.

CJ/johnnyg
07-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Nice pic lamont. It shows it like it is. Also welcome aboard rafiki2cu :congrats:

BikerDoc
07-24-2011, 10:08 AM
:welcome::congrats:

thehawk
07-24-2011, 10:41 AM
... sounds like a fellow BSF'er???

thehawk

ThreeFeet
07-24-2011, 10:55 AM
:welcome::congrats::spyder2::yes::firstplace: clamp knees, use foot pegs and go ahead and LEEAN makes ya feel better about the whole thing!! and have FUN!!

rafiki2cu
07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
... sounds like a fellow BSF'er???

thehawk
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Being new here what does BSF'er stand for?

rafiki2cu
07-24-2011, 11:18 AM

Lamonster thanks for the picture. Now I have a better understanding of the leaning in curve.

Ted

jimclarkf1
07-24-2011, 11:44 AM
I have learned also, that when you lean a little, it helps a lot in the curves, It will come with practice.:clap:

fispyder
07-24-2011, 12:38 PM
:welcome: :congrats: on the RT:spyder:The lean will come natural after you puts the miles on the :spyder: Enjoy your new rYde

ARtraveler
07-24-2011, 03:03 PM
:welcome::congrats: on the new ryde.

Leaning helps with the "g" forces you encounter on turns--even though it does not make the :spyder2: lean.

It taks a little practice--but you will not even have to think about turns in a couple hundred more miles.