PDA

View Full Version : Spyder factory warranty question

draboo
07-23-2011, 10:35 AM
This thought came to me the other day while at the dealer inquiring on how much a 12,000 including a valve adjustment would cost, if it indeed needed an adjustment..bottom line: $1100.00:yikes:

Does the warranty void if you do NOT have these services done? If it does void the warranty,seems like BRP is forcing me to spend this outrageous amounts of cash just to keep the warranty in effect.

Does this sound reasonable?

Brad

BikerDoc
07-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I had heard that BRP is softening their position on the valve adjustment after finding from dealer experience that most bikes don't need it when checked.. With that in mind I find it hard to believe that not doing it could invalidate the warranty
Plus as always you can not invalidate a warranty on a blanket basis under law. If you want to invalidate warranty for a specific claim they must prove the action taken or not taken, by the owner caused the specific problems submitted for warranty.

NancysToy
07-25-2011, 11:04 AM
If you have a problem that was caused or aggravated by your valves being out of adjustment, and you did not have the valves adjusted per the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, and your dealer had not deferred the maintenance themselves, your warranty claim could be denied. If a non-related claim was denied because you had not checked/adjusted the valves, you would have grounds for legal action against the dealer/manufacturer.

Dudley
07-25-2011, 11:18 AM
This thought came to me the other day while at the dealer inquiring on how much a 12,000 including a valve adjustment would cost, if it indeed needed an adjustment..bottom line: $1100.00:yikes:

Does the warranty void if you do NOT have these services done? If it does void the warranty,seems like BRP is forcing me to spend this outrageous amounts of cash just to keep the warranty in effect.

Does this sound reasonable?

Brad

Brad, the valve adjustment cost is a hard pill to swallow. From my experience with the 2008 SE5 GS, at 43,000 miles, when the valves were checked before resale, they were all in spec. I never had them checked, much less adjusted. I am not warranty paranoid. If it happens, it happens. For the most part, I believe that any money I save on unneeded services will pay for any work needed that would have a warranty question. And, if the rear bearings go out, what does that have to do about whether or not you had your valves adjusted or checked? I also know of one incident where the dealer charged a customer to "check" the valves and never did. That was proven to the customer by another tech (production straps were still on the cables, etc., that were supposed to be replaced when valves were checked). It is far too easy for a dealer to charge and not do the work and very hard to prove otherwise. I read one post where a rider had been quoted $90 to change the brake fluid...a job requiring a minimum of 4 hours, but many times longer, to perform. Conclusion...same fluid will be left in the system and dealer nets $90 profit. So, I guess I am trying to say that I will ride, do what work I need to do that I can do, and cross whatever bridge I come to as I come to it. I sure can't tell anyone what to do. And, the oil I use is still Royal Purple, 10W40 Synthetic Automotive and change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

draboo
07-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Brad, the valve adjustment cost is a hard pill to swallow. From my experience with the 2008 SE5 GS, at 43,000 miles, when the valves were checked before resale, they were all in spec. I never had them checked, much less adjusted. I am not warranty paranoid. If it happens, it happens. For the most part, I believe that any money I save on unneeded services will pay for any work needed that would have a warranty question. And, if the rear bearings go out, what does that have to do about whether or not you had your valves adjusted or checked? I also know of one incident where the dealer charged a customer to "check" the valves and never did. That was proven to the customer by another tech (production straps were still on the cables, etc., that were supposed to be replaced when valves were checked). It is far too easy for a dealer to charge and not do the work and very hard to prove otherwise. I read one post where a rider had been quoted $90 to change the brake fluid...a job requiring a minimum of 4 hours, but many times longer, to perform. Conclusion...same fluid will be left in the system and dealer nets $90 profit. So, I guess I am trying to say that I will ride, do what work I need to do that I can do, and cross whatever bridge I come to as I come to it. I sure can't tell anyone what to do. And, the oil I use is still Royal Purple, 10W40 Synthetic Automotive and change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

You bring valid points,Dudley. I agree. I did this with our first spyder. I got the 600 mile check, and then none after that. I m thinking the same thing with the RT.

I use RP oil, also. The 10/40 is getting hard to find,tho.

Dudley
07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Any Pep Boys in your area?