PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 2009 RS SE5, Hello 2011 RT-S

jgwoods
07-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Yesterday I picked up my new RT-S and said goodbye to my faithful yellow RS.
These first few miles are a revelation of contrasts in going from one model to the other, and from a 2009 to a 2011.
Contrasts:
Boy is the power steering different! It's really there, not just a little assist but big time power making parking lot maneuvers a breeze but not adding any extra squirrelly feel at speed. I really like it.

Boy is it heavy- it feels pretty slow compared to the RS. BUT - it seems to be drive by wire(?) and has a very smooth throttle take up which fools you a bit. It always bothered me when my Dodge Stratus and a couple of other Chrysler products I owned had jumpy throttles- the first half inch you pushed the accelerator seemed to open the throttle quite a bit and made the car jump forward, very hard to make a smooth take off at a light. Frankly it was just a way to try and hide a lack of horsepower. Perspective owners would road test the car and feel it jump forward and think wow this thing is peppy, when really it was a dog with a crummy accelerator linkage. Credit to BRP for making it so you have to whack open the throttle to make it jump, while a little twist gives very smooth take off. It will never be as quick as the RS but I think it will be OK.

Boy does it seem refined. The thumb shifter feels like a quality piece, the gauge cluster is awesome, love the power windshield, cruise control, etc. I am not really one to listen to the radio, or mp3 etc. while driving so I don't really care about that- nice that you can mute it though.

It handles better than I thought it would. wider track? Improved suspension? whatever it is I find it seems to handle as well as the RS so far.

I didn't have the very best first day- took it out in the evening when the temp cooled to 85, tried the cruise control, checked out the lights, and then as I was rolling along it lit the DPS light, then the VSS light, then went into limp mode and gave me a lousy ride 10 miles home, but I got there, just worried a bit. I took it into the dealer and they immediately went over it, hooked up the BUDS, refreshed a few settings and pronounced it OK. I got about a mile and it all came back on. Went back, left it, and they replaced the steering angle sensor and gave it a 25 mile road test. All seems well now.

I'm not mad about it. I didn't expect it as my RS never had any problems. It did get the new DPS and a recall or two but it never betrayed me. The guys a 3a Motors know their stuff and they paid attention- and had the parts. I was out a little downtime but it was 103 here today and I was in the pool, wouldn't have ridden much anyway.

Next week I'll begin putting on some miles. It seems like a completely different vehicle than the RS was and much as I liked the RS I am liking the RT more. I look forward to many happy miles.

CyncySpyder
07-22-2011, 10:26 PM
:congrats:

CanAmMick
07-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Sounds like they took pretty good care of you. Now hopefully you will be able to get out and ride without any problems.

I have a 2011 RT-S SM5 and so far 1400 miles without any problems. Sure does take some getting use to after riding motorcycles. Love it!!

Lamonster
07-23-2011, 05:17 AM
:congrats: on your new ride.

I hate hearing stories of problems right out of the gate on these new RT's :gaah: I don't know if this is a dealer setup issue of just QA problem from the factory but it doesn't give you a warm fuzzy feeling when something like that happens. I hope the rest of your miles are trouble free.

Wardawg
07-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Yeah, similar problem with my 2011 RTS SE5. I've had it a little over a month and it's been in the shop half that time. My service guys are swamped with RTS's that are broke down. They only have one tech. My story goes like this... Mine stalled at stop lights all the time when I first took her home. Temp gauge stopped working. Took her in and they ordered the gauge. After two days, I went back to get the bike and brought her home. Figured she wax drivable...the stalling issue went away for the most part. Stalled only twice. On the way to the first 600 miles, it went into Limp mode out of the blue. Each time I nursed her home. At 700 miles I took her in to replace the gauge, do the 600 maint and investigate the Limp Mode. It's been in the shop for two weeks. Should get her back today. We'll see how she is doing then. Been frustrating to this point. Do love riding her though!

SilverSurfer
07-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I'm seeing more than a few stories of experiences with new Spyders, especially RTs where dealer technicians seem to be mystified with steering angle sensors (front) and the rear position angle sensor insofar as the rear automatic suspension control (RT-S and RT limited). My dealer did the DPS recall and steering angle sensor right; however, they botched application of Item 3 of Service Bulletin 2010-6 (ASC). Absolutely clueless, apparently, when setting the low and high limits with BUDS. I did the entire ryde down to MV and even The Dragon with the Spyder dragging its butt around too low. I thought my ASC was gone; but it was all in the BUDS settings and the right procedure to apply those settings. I got a field-expedient fix down at the Maggie Valley (Owners Event) service tent and am sufficiently in the zone to wait until my 12K service to get a permanent fix ... and when I do, I'm really going to be watching them. Too bad most of the dealers don't allow customers in the shop when they're actually doing the work. Had I the facility and a BUDS hookup, I could've done a better job myself.

It seems that some dealer techs are just sort of sluffing when it comes to these position sensor issues. It's not all that difficult, but does require 'a procedure,' both on the front and rear of the Spyder. Kurt/BRP needs to be chewin' some dealer butt!

Mr. White
07-23-2011, 07:11 AM
I guess I am kinda lucky. At 400 miles, my limp mode came on. I removed the key and all was okay. (I guess I had been riding the brake) Rode another 1,200 miles and my "check DPS" came on, but did not reduce my rpms. I rode 75 miles home with the yellow screen. The next day, I went to my dealer, 50 miles away. When I started BR1, I got the regular screen and no problems going to dealer.

They hooked him up and said a XXXX was out in the DPS. The tech is good and went right to the problem, replaced a small magnet (?), and away I went. Now have 2,800 and no problems.

Gotta go now. The Hill Country Road Riders meet in one hour to ride to breakfast in beautiful downtown D'Hanis, TX. Later, my friends. I hope all is well with your RT's.

I gotta ride my Motor Trike more. He is getting jealous of BR1, and will hardly speak....:ohyea:

:spyder2:

jgwoods
07-23-2011, 09:04 AM
I am lucky in a few ways- my dealer is about 5 miles from my house, and it has sold and serviced a lot of units while keeping the same staff. 3a motors doesn't look all that fancy and it sells a lot of brands- Kawasaki, Suzuki, Victory, ATVs, Snowmobiles, watercraft etc. which can really dilute the talent pool of mechanics (OK technicians).

I was a mechanic for 23 years- Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, mostly Porsche and Audi and mostly flat rate. I know these guys and I know the value of good training. I also know that the training isn't much help unless you do a bunch of service work to solidify it, make it your own and develop a clear understanding of how the systems work together. Two of the guys at 3a have it all and they let me stand right there while the hook up the BUDS and I see what they see. Typical mechanics they don't sweet talk, they don't try to pump sunshine up my a$$ about how "these never break down and we're sooo surprised that you have a problem" nope- they knew what it might be and used me as a test bed which is why I got 1 mile before the problem resurfaced and I had to take it back. I drove right into the shop and they hooked it up again, checked the codes again and told me they had to take the trunk off and it might be a while.

I spent big dollars on a vehicle that doesn't have an outstanding reputation for reliability. It has a reputation for adventuresome designs and technologies and I took the chance in part because I knew I had solid backing 5 miles away with experienced techs who don't duck problems.

Mass has a lemon law too. I made sure I got a repair order written because this is strike one under the law. a couple of more incidents and Can Am may have to take it back. I don't think anything like that will happen but I won't be a victim either.

Off now to go for a ride.

fastfraser
07-23-2011, 12:01 PM
:congrats: on the new RT . Sorry you have trouble from the start. Hope they make it wright for you. Hope you get miles of smiles from your new RT.

tea6638
07-23-2011, 02:02 PM
:congrats: on your :spyder2:
Ride Safe and Enjoy

cyclekat
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Yesterday I picked up my new RT-S and said goodbye to my faithful yellow RS.

I didn't have the very best first day- took it out in the evening when the temp cooled to 85, tried the cruise control, checked out the lights, and then as I was rolling along it lit the DPS light, then the VSS light, then went into limp mode and gave me a lousy ride 10 miles home, but I got there, just worried a bit. I took it into the dealer and they immediately went over it, hooked up the BUDS, refreshed a few settings and pronounced it OK. I got about a mile and it all came back on.

Jgwoods--I had the exact same sequence of error messages as you did on day 2 of riding, and I can tell you everything has been fine since then. Like you, I have a dealership I can trust and they're only 4 miles away. I didn't panic when it happened, but after they re-calibrated the computers I sure hoped it wouldn't happen again. I had my 600 mile service last week and now I'm heading quickly to 1000 miles and the bike has been running great! I hope it will be the same for you.
Sharon

Germainiac64
07-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I bought my RT-S w/SE5 Memorial Day weekend and have been riding it to work at Ft. Belvoir, VA regularly taking either I-95 or US 1. I have had no problems to speak of yet. The "Check DPS" light came on once when I happened to be driving to Fredericksburg Motor Sports to pick up some items I ordered for the Spyder. I spoke to the service folks and they said if it comes back on again, bring it in. It has not done it again. Got over 2000 miles on it to date. Have had it up to 70MPH and liked the handling. When there are crosswinds or I get behind a semi, feel the buffeting but nothing affecting control of the Spyder. With the excessive heat we have had, I have had no over heating issues at all, even in stop and go traffic. I have been looking at Spyders since they came out and finally decided to get it this year.

34fun
07-23-2011, 06:32 PM
nice to hear some positives

ThreeFeet
07-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I have the 2010 RT-S and just got back from a 3000 mile trip. EVERY once in a while get the little orange lite with the oil can in it. or the one that says the trunk lid is open. Other than that added a tad of oil and closed the trunk!!! Slam hand on that and it helps. Now have 10000 miles on her and she's goin good. :ohyea::yes:

retiredsquid
07-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Good luck with that new machine. We have had our 2011 RTS SE5 Limited since the end of April and have around 4,200 miles on it without a single issue. Made one 1,800 mile trip in 100+ weather and another 300 mile in 100+ weather running interstate speeds of 75 & 80mph with 1,800 of those miles with an RT-622 trailer in tow. I feel fortunate compared to others here. Seems like you get the luck of the draw with Spyders and dealers.

sealfloorboards
07-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I did exactly what you did, traded my yellow 09 RS SE5 for a 2011 RT SE5. Ya, the difference is amazing! Unlike you, I have not had a speck of trouble with mine other than two screw-ups on my part. Yesterday my GF and I did a beautiful 315 mi ride. Today we meet up with the Columbia Chapter of Spyder Riders of America for another 200 + mi ride. Man this getting old and having time and means is awesome.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

ARtraveler
07-30-2011, 03:01 PM
:congrats:on the new ryde. Sorry to hear you are having issues out of the gate. As touchy as these machines are--I believe that is a good argument for purchasing from a dealer with a good mechanical and customer service reputation.