PDA

View Full Version : Week before Sturgis?

Lamonster
07-22-2011, 08:07 AM
I've been to Sturgis many times during and before the event and some of the best times I've had are the week before Sturgis. I checked room rates during the event and they are stupid high so I'm thinking about making a trip out the week of the 1st and heading back the 6th. Are any SpyderLovers going to be out there at this time? Are any SpyderLovers going to be there at all? I have nothing set it stone at this point but I can't seem to get anyone to ride with me these days and even though I don't mind doing a solo trip out there it would be nice to hook up with some folks. :doorag:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=617

dave01
07-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Lamont, Would love to make the ride if i didnt have previous plans. Way to go representing the Spyder and the Spyder 5. Any other Ambassadors making the trip out to be representatives? Come on, step up and join Lamont.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lamonster
07-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Lamont, Would love to make the ride if i didnt have previous plans. Way to go representing the Spyder and the Spyder 5. Any other Ambassadors making the trip out to be representatives? Come on, step up and join Lamont.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I think Fred is the only one that has the freedom to work while on the road so I wouldn't expect any of them to be able to go, you know they have a real job and a life that is not centered around riding.

I'm very blessed to be able to do what I do and still take care of all my commitments. :doorag:

docdoru
07-22-2011, 08:58 AM
...you know they have a real job and a life that is not centered around riding.
From BRP website: http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/blog/post-details.aspx?PostID=903c1ca6-c328-43ea-bd3f-9eae01307b4d
"We are looking for the hardcore riders, weekend-warriors, and daily commuters to become members of our ambassador team for six months."

Lamonster
07-22-2011, 09:02 AM
From BRP website: http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/blog/post-details.aspx?PostID=903c1ca6-c328-43ea-bd3f-9eae01307b4d
"We are looking for the hardcore riders, weekend-warriors, and daily commuters to become members of our ambassador team for six months."
And I think they have a nice mix of all of the above. :2thumbs:

Firefly
07-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Enjoy the trip! I went last year -- and I think you're making the right call by going a week early for sure.

Already had 3 big trips this year---- now gotta do that work thing and try and pay the bills.... :gaah: No Sturgis for me this year...:(

Lamonster
07-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Enjoy the trip! I went last year -- and I think you're making the right call by going a week early for sure.

Already had 3 big trips this year---- now gotta do that work thing and try and pay the bills.... :gaah: No Sturgis for me this year...:(
My wife just told me to go ahead and book during the event so I guess that's what I'm going to do. It's not my first choice but it may be my best choice.

I am now bending over and getting ready to book a room :shemademe_smilie:

Firefly
07-22-2011, 09:41 AM
My wife just told me to go ahead and book during the event so I guess that's what I'm going to do. It's not my first choice but it may be my best choice.

I am now bending over and getting ready to book a room :shemademe_smilie:
We stayed at the Best Western in Custer and that worked out pretty well. Far enough away from main event - but close enough to ride there for it.... about 45 min ride to main event.

Lamonster
07-22-2011, 09:54 AM
We stayed at the Best Western in Custer and that worked out pretty well. Far enough away from main event - but close enough to ride there for it.... about 45 min ride to main event.
First year I went I stayed in Custer. Love the area. :thumbup:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=146190465424233&set=a.146189988757614.26532.100000998428316&type=1&theater

Lamonster
07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I love it when a plan comes together. :ohyea:

Called up one of my riding buddies to see if he wanted to hookup for Sturgis and he is good to go! :thumbup: He's never been to Sturgis and he was quick to say he could go. :D

So me and SpyderPops will be cruising the Black Hill together and I couldn't be more excited about that. :yes::2excited:

Flag us down if you see us running around. :doorag:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=969&pictureid=11097

McGone
07-22-2011, 11:25 AM
I am going to be riding in Colorado and then head up to Sturgis the week before. The riding the week before or after Sturgis is a lot more fun and a lot less traffic. I rode after in 2008, during 2009 and week before 2010, so I have tried them all. Riding with 4 Harleys this year. I expect to add to more states to the spyder's list.

retiredsquid
07-22-2011, 11:30 AM
I would dearly love to go, but it doesn't look like we can do it this year. I would probably stay in Rapid City, but their room rates are outrageous, too.

Lamonster
07-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I am going to be riding in Colorado and then head up to Sturgis the week before. The riding the week before or after Sturgis is a lot more fun and a lot less traffic. I rode after in 2008, during 2009 and week before 2010, so I have tried them all. Riding with 4 Harleys this year. I expect to add to more states to the spyder's list.
I agree the week before is much better but Harvey has never been to Sturgis so I think he should at least do the real event one time and decide what he wants to do next time. It is a great place to ride.

I would dearly love to go, but it doesn't look like we can do it this year. I would probably stay in Rapid City, but their room rates are outrageous, too.
I booked our room at the AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rapid City

retiredsquid
07-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I spent a night in that place last October. Not bad.

ARtraveler
07-22-2011, 12:40 PM
What a beautiful picture. :2thumbs::2thumbs: It has been about 10 years since I have been to the Black Hills--I used to go yearly when I lived in Minnesota.

Last time we spent a week in Custer, and did all the sights. Mt. Rushmore, Needles highway, Sturgis, Deadwood, Devils Tower, Badlands Nat'l Park, Wall Drug, etc., etc.

That area has so much to offer in sights and things to do.

Now you have me thinking and wanting to plan another trip there.

Unfortunately, its not just a little 600 mile trip one way any more--about 3000 miles one way now.

Lamonster
07-22-2011, 01:16 PM
What a beautiful picture. :2thumbs::2thumbs: It has been about 10 years since I have been to the Black Hills--I used to go yearly when I lived in Minnesota.

Last time we spent a week in Custer, and did all the sights. Mt. Rushmore, Needles highway, Sturgis, Deadwood, Devils Tower, Badlands Nat'l Park, Wall Drug, etc., etc.

That area has so much to offer in sights and things to do.

Now you have me thinking and wanting to plan another trip there.

Unfortunately, its not just a little 600 mile trip one way any more.
Well come on out :thumbup: It's right at 1500 miles for me one way but there is a lot to see and do in a very close riding area. :doorag:

Firefly
07-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Called up one of my riding buddies to see if he wanted to hookup for Sturgis and he is good to go! :thumbup: He's never been to Sturgis and he was quick to say he could go. :D

So me and SpyderPops will be cruising the Black Hill together and I couldn't be more excited about that. :yes::2excited:

:congrats::2thumbs:

McGone
07-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Are you sure Harvey is up for the Sturgis experience? Camping at the Buffalo Chip and going to the concerts would be an additional experience for him. It is an experience he won't forget! I know the bike week is part of the experience but the riding is good also.

Dudley
07-22-2011, 07:31 PM
We stayed in Hot Springs on our journey in 2009. Quite a bit south of Sturgis, but a nice motel and rates were a little lower...not by much. Nice riding area from there.

Mayhem
07-23-2011, 09:09 AM

I live in Custer and work for the city. If I see you in the area I'll certainly flag you down.
Bill

Paula(Butch2025)
07-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Lamont, are you scoping out the area to report back to BRP that the Black Hills (Deawood area) would be a perfect place to have the owners event next year?!?!?!

Of course in June we wouldn't have all those other bikes taking up all the open roads and the Spyders could rule the roads! -Paula

Lamonster
07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
I live in Custer and work for the city. If I see you in the area I'll certainly flag you down.
Bill
You live in a great area, love the wildlife loop and Crazy Horse. :thumbup:

Lamont, are you scoping out the area to report back to BRP that the Black Hills (Deawood area) would be a perfect place to have the owners event next year?!?!?!

Of course in June we wouldn't have all those other bikes taking up all the open roads and the Spyders could rule the roads! -Paula
It would be a great place and I'm game for sure but that's not why I'm going there. :doorag:

Gordy
07-23-2011, 03:24 PM
I would love the owners event to be in the black hills next year great place to ride and enjoy.:2thumbs::2thumbs:

GloryRyders
07-23-2011, 07:08 PM
:2thumbs:Hope the weather is cooler their:lecturef_smilie:.........Ryde safe and have a good time................looking for pics when you get back!:popcorn:

thehawk
07-23-2011, 07:37 PM
... edited video when you're back:)

Nice job with the latest iMovie stuff!! Looks like a regular Cecil B. Lamonster!!

thehawk

jedd
07-23-2011, 08:26 PM
When you get a route planned out post it, if time allows I'll try to at least ride a day or so?

Jim:thumbup:

GeminiJane
07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm only about 20-30 minutes from your I-24 route in Southern Illinois. I could actually give you a much prettier, less traffic congested alternate route through Southern Illinois that would take you right through Murphysboro where I live - home of the World Famous 17th Street Bar-b-que. It's only about 4 hours from you which I know is hardly getting started for you, but depending on what time you would be coming through, would love to meet-up (maybe at the Kentucky border of I-24), ride you through some good So IL secondary roads and treat you to lunch before you hit the road again. You can eat what's been voted the best bar-b-que in the US, get a quick massage in the chiropractic grade massage chair we have, even take a quick dip to cool off in the pool if you want! Would like to meet Spyderpops, too.

Lamonster
07-24-2011, 08:43 AM
The plan right now is to ride to Kansas City on Sunday and meet Harvey and maybe Len from CowTown and then roll into Rapid City on Monday. It would be a two day trip.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Mosheim,+TN&daddr=Kansas+City,+KS+to:Rapid+City,+SD&hl=en&ll=40.145289,-93.098145&spn=12.23608,22.983398&sll=37.649034,-88.791504&sspn=12.670541,22.983398&geocode=FWg1KAIdZicO-yk9SpvXhbBbiDH1MbYFznBDZQ%3BFUXVVAIdeBlc-ikVNc8n5IzAhzEFHsNwe3d33A%3BFZ-doAId2dHY-Sn7pbuepUJ9hzHHt5M-WmFxxA&mra=ls&z=6

Magic Man
07-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Lamont,

I remember that picture you posted. :D

It was from the day we were riding up to Mount Rushmore and we all stopped on that hill to get some photos. :ohyea:

I remember that's the day you first noticed your clutch was starting to slip because of the different oil you used in the change just before you came out there. :gaah:

That was a fun ride even though my hips were sore by the end of the day. :shocked:

I remember you took us through Custer State Park and Needles Highway, that ride we took together with you and Jody is something Patti and I will always remember. :2thumbs:

Jody will be leaving with the rig on Sat and get into Rapid City mid day Monday the 1st.

Patti and I will be flying in Tuesday the 2nd and get there mid day ourselves.

We'll be set up at our usual spot at Balckhills HD, so stop on up we'd love to see ya. :thumbup:

MM

Lamonster
07-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Lamont,

Jody will be leaving with the rig on Sat and get into Rapid City mid day Monday the 1st.

Patti and I will be flying in Tuesday the 2nd and get there mid day ourselves.

We'll be set up at our usual spot at Balckhills HD, so stop on up w'd love to see ya.

MM
You bet Bro. Maybe we can get a ride in after hours :doorag:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=994

D&J's#2
07-24-2011, 12:35 PM
We were there last year and spent a couple of nites in the Econo Lodge, in Keystone, and 3 nites at the Comfort Inn in Rapid City. Both were nice places to stay. :ohyea:

Had a little get together yesterday in the Little Rock area and talked to Harvey. He said ya'll were headed to Sturgis, after a trip to Maggie Valley. Have fun and enjoy:2thumbs::yes:

SpyderGirl
07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Safe trip to all heading to Sturgis.... we'll be heading to Spyders in the Redwoods instead. :)

Lamonster
07-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Hooking up with Harvey this morning at Wheels Through Time if you're out and about. Making our plans for Sturgis :yes::2excited:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=998
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=997

TLesky
07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
My wife and i are going to be in Sturgis from the 7th to te 12th. Gotta get together.:2thumbs:

Lamonster
07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
My wife and i are going to be in Sturgis from the 7th to te 12th. Gotta get together.:2thumbs:Flag us down if you see us. I think Len from Cowtown will be there now and Big Joe from Kewlmetal too. :thumbup:

SpyderLady
08-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Lamont, Not able to do Sturgis this year, but John and I are planning on week after Sturgis for next year. I noticed you are going through STL to Kansas City. I know we have a MOGANG ride on Saturday, but if you have any idea of where you will be in STL area on Sunday on way to KC, I could maybe meet up with you guys and ride a bit.... maybe all the way to Columbia. Would be good to see you again. John and I live just minutes off of I70&I64 near Lake St Louis exit. Let me know.

Lamonster
08-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Lamont, Not able to do Sturgis this year, but John and I are planning on week after Sturgis for next year. I noticed you are going through STL to Kansas City. I know we have a MOGANG ride on Saturday, but if you have any idea of where you will be in STL area on Sunday on way to KC, I could maybe meet up with you guys and ride a bit.... maybe all the way to Columbia. Would be good to see you again. John and I live just minutes off of I70&I64 near Lake St Louis exit. Let me know.MOGANG ride on Saturday, let me think about that one. Maybe I'll take off Friday ride with you guys on Saturday and then head out Sunday to meet SpyderPops in Kansas City. Let me talk that over with the planning committee.
:chat:

SpyderLady
08-01-2011, 10:34 AM
MOGANG ride on Saturday, let me think about that one. Maybe I'll take off Friday ride with you guys on Saturday and then head out Sunday to meet SpyderPops in Kansas City. Let me talk that over with the planning committee.
:chat: Sounds great. Just got text from Len that you will be riding with us on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you and riding with you again. Tis going to be a hot one. I have ordered a hydration vest and hope it arrives in time for Sat. See you in a few.:clap::clap::2thumbs::2thumbs::clap:

GloryRyders
08-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Lamont..............we will be looking forward to seeing you on Saturday for the MoGang ride.:thumbup: We will try to keep the temps in a reasonable range:roflblack:

nater1
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I recommend spyder lovers look to the Blackhills State University which is located in Spearfish for a dorm room for two adults at $365 for the week. Spearfish is like 8 miles on 90 from Sturgis so it is a short ride.
Down side are no drinking on their property, State Troopers 24/7, and smokers need to go outside.
But for those rates I am in.

Beon1
08-02-2011, 08:26 AM
My wife and I will be there from 7th to the 13th. We stay near downtown in the thick of things.Anyone want to hook up give me a shout.:clap:

Lamonster
08-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I recommend spyder lovers look to the Blackhills State University which is located in Spearfish for a dorm room for two adults at $365 for the week. Spearfish is like 8 miles on 90 from Sturgis so it is a short ride.
Down side are no drinking on their property, State Troopers 24/7, and smokers need to go outside.
But for those rates I am in.:roflblack: Been there, almost done that. The place was trashed when we got there. The toilet was ripped out of the bathroom, there was no air conditioning, the bunks were trashed, there was no place to setup my laptop and the last straw was I couldn't connect to the internet to do my work so it was off to find a hotel. :helpsmilie: