PDA

View Full Version : Spyders and bears! Oh, my!

Rando
07-22-2011, 05:27 AM
click here for the story (http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/1046010--home-safe-and-sound)

Farmboy
07-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Made me hurt all over just reading that. Glad to see there ok.

GloryRyders
07-22-2011, 05:58 AM
:gaah:........and I thought that hitting a deer would be bad. Good thing that the bear didn't stick around to check them out!

Bob Denman
07-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Yep... Bear are WAAAaaayyy tougher than deer! :gaah:
I'm glad to hear that the riders were pretty much okay after thi one! That bear put it into overdrive and climbed the steepest mountain that it could find to put as much real estate between it and all of the commotion. It probably laid up in a swamp to cool off and let the bruises fade.
Tupper lake/Saranac Lake/Lake Placid is an area with some of the nicest scenery and roads in NYS! :thumbup:
"Spyders in the Adirondacks" will agree...

Firefly
07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Great attitudes from the rider and passenger. :-). Glad they're ok

Rando
07-22-2011, 07:30 AM
The title of this thread is a play on words of a famous movie quote. Can anyone name the movie and who said it?

scroll down for the answer
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
The Wizard of Oz.
Dorothy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000023/): Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

click here for more quotes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/quotes)

Bob Denman
07-22-2011, 07:48 AM
:clap: :thumbup:

Some Guy
07-22-2011, 10:26 AM
The title of this thread is a play on words of a famous movie quote. Can anyone name the movie and who said it?

The Wizard of Oz.
Dorothy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000023/): Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

Hey Randy!
There are 3 animals in that quote...you're missing one!

How about "Spyders and Humans and Bears! Oh my!"

:D

NEOSOLACE
07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
I just love the fact that the guy is sliding on the asphalt, and his first thought is....

“As I heard myself in the helmet scraping down the road, all I could think was ‘damn it’,” DeVries recalled. “My visor was beautifully scratched. It would have been a different story if I had the visor up.”

SpyderAnn01
07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
First :welcome: to Neosolace.

I hope they do go to Spyders in the Adirondacks I'd love to meet them.

grumpybob
07-22-2011, 11:11 AM
don't mean to steal your thread - on July 13 on my way to Saranac Lake on rt. 3 outside of Tupper Lake we hade a bear cross in front of us. Nowhere close to an accident and we were in an SUV.

Point being bear populations seem to be growing and their territory is expanding in Central N.Y. Everybody going to Lake Placid for the meet-up be careful and have a good trip.

Glad they were not hurt any worse.

Rando
07-22-2011, 12:03 PM
How about "Spyders and Humans and Bears! Oh my!"Spyders and Ryders and Bears! Oh my!

ARtraveler
07-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Motorcycles and critters just do not make a good combination. Glad everything turned out all right.

:welcome: to Neosolace.

Some Guy
07-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Spyders and Ryders and Bears! Oh my!

Even better! :thumbup:

arntufun
07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
First :welcome: to Neosolace.

I hope they do go to Spyders in the Adirondacks I'd love to meet them.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

WackyDan
07-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Glad they are ok and hope to see them next week.

As I said in another thread, the deer in the Adirondacks are numerous. Please stay alert.

spydee owner
07-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Stick with the cute cuddly ones. Seriously though, read this story on the link

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/green/wildlife-news/110609/canada-wildlife-news-flying-black-bear-car-accident

Questions
07-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Glad they are ok. Bent the frame? Hard hit or impact absorbing frame?? Just one of those things that make you go hmm...

Boriken
07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Glad to hear that they are OK.

pro10is
07-25-2011, 01:01 AM
I just happened to meet Robert MacIntyre and Mary DeVries in Malone, NY right after they had their accident when I was at the Can Am dealer getting my 600 mile service on my 2011 RS-S. Guess what they were doing. They were trying to decide which RT model they were going to buy to replace their totaled Spyder. They were both banged up a bit but all they seemed to care about was whether to buy a white RT or a blue one (they bought the blue, Mary didn't care for white).

They told me that they thought the Spyder saved their lives. They said they probably would not have made it on a two wheeler. Even though they were thrown from the Spyder it apparently absorbed enough of the impact to make a difference. It was totaled in the wreak due to a bent frame but all they ended up with was some nasty bumps and bruises. Most cyclists who hit something as large as a bear would probably not be up and about buying a replacement bike a few days afterward.

They were very nice people. By now they have their new blue RT and are back in the saddle. A very happy ending to a near tragedy.

Bob Denman
07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Thank Goodness for that! :2thumbs:
I've known some riders to stay upright on 2 wheels after hitting deer, but bear are another story that usually has a much unhappier ending... :shocked: