PDA

View Full Version : My Spyder is home, let the riding begin again

dltang
07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I got my Spyder back from the shop tonight and it is running pretty good. It feels good and sounds good so far. I was a little concerned at first because one of the things I took it in for was my oil light coming on when I came to a stop. I had checked my oil and it was above the add line and below the fill line as it should be. I did not notice any leaks or oil in places it shouldn't be. So I am almost home and what happens, but my oil light comes on. I am starting to get mad and I called the dealer back. John, one of the mechanics asked if I had checked the oil. I told him I hadn't since when I took it up there it was fine and I never expected that I would need to have oil put in after it sat for 4 weeks. Anyway, sure enough nothing on the dip stick. It took about 1/2 quart to get it to where it needs to be. Took it back out for a ride and no oil light. So far so good. But you can bet I will be watching every little thing very closely. I am just happy to have it back. It was a pretty nice ride home all except the fact that it is 96 degrees at 18:00 in Michigan. Guess I shouldn't complain, it isn't raining afterall. (In all honestly, we could use some rain right now)

boborgera
07-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I got my Spyder back from the shop tonight and it is running pretty good. It feels good and sounds good so far. I was a little concerned at first because one of the things I took it in for was my oil light coming on when I came to a stop. I had checked my oil and it was above the add line and below the fill line as it should be. I did not notice any leaks or oil in places it shouldn't be. So I am almost home and what happens, but my oil light comes on. I am starting to get mad and I called the dealer back. John, one of the mechanics asked if I had checked the oil. I told him I hadn't since when I took it up there it was fine and I never expected that I would need to have oil put in after it sat for 4 weeks. Anyway, sure enough nothing on the dip stick. It took about 1/2 quart to get it to where it needs to be. Took it back out for a ride and no oil light. So far so good. But you can bet I will be watching every little thing very closely. I am just happy to have it back. It was a pretty nice ride home all except the fact that it is 96 degrees at 18:00 in Michigan. Guess I shouldn't complain, it isn't raining afterall. (In all honestly, we could use some rain right now)
:thumbup:
Glad you got it back and running, But like you said, don't take any thing for granted, You have to check it out yourself. !!
Not always easy when your picking it up at a dealer and you just want to jump on the Spyder and ride off the lot.:gaah:

SpyderAnn01
07-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Glad you finally got it back. Have fun riding.

mxz600
07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Glad you got it back and it seems to be OK. The UP trip is coming up fast. We need our Spyders in working order.

It was a pretty nice ride home all except the fact that it is 96 degrees at 18:00 in Michigan.
This morning when I left for work it was 82 degrees at 0600 hours. Now that's not cool. Pun intended.

freebob
07-21-2011, 07:22 PM
You stated you checked your oil and it was good..Was that before you left Dealer or what..:dontknow: If you had to add 1/2 qt at home that means
you rode home with 4qts only in:spyder2:......That should not cause oil lite warning as a rule....Hope your ok now and don't have anymore oil problems, But I would surely keep an eye on it...:coffee:...

Freebob...:doorag:

Lamonster
07-21-2011, 07:43 PM
:congrats: on getting you Spyder back.
Got to tell you though 1/2 a quart shouldn't have made the light come on. I'm thinking it may have been the sending unit.

CyncySpyder
07-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Deb, I'm SO GLAD that you finally got your baby back :yes:

I know how frustrated you have been, & I don't blame you one bit :agree:

Hopefully :pray: all stays well & you get as many miles of ryde'n in that you care to :thumbup:

Are you and Brian going to Spyders in the Addirondacs(?):hun: Teddy & I are planning on making the trip now that Ive got most of the mods done & his :spyder2: is back in one piece again :roflblack: If so, it would be great to meet up with both of you again :2thumbs:

:yes:Good Times & Good Friends at a SpYder Rally:yes:does it get any better than that:yes:

hawkiii
07-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Deb, glad to hear you are back on the road. Good luck, hope everything is ok now.

Trickie Dick
07-21-2011, 09:03 PM
3 lakes, here we come:ohyea::ohyea:

dltang
07-21-2011, 10:09 PM
You stated you checked your oil and it was good..Was that before you left Dealer or what..:dontknow: If you had to add 1/2 qt at home that means
you rode home with 4qts only in:spyder2:......That should not cause oil lite warning as a rule....Hope your ok now and don't have anymore oil problems, But I would surely keep an eye on it...:coffee:...

Freebob...:doorag:
No, I checked it before I took it to the dealer in the first place because one of the issues I was having was the oil light coming on when I came to a stop or a real hard slow down. It was good when I took it up there and it has been there almost 4 weeks. On my way home, I noticed the light again and when I checked the oil again, that is when I noticed it was low.

:congrats: on getting you Spyder back.
Got to tell you though 1/2 a quart shouldn't have made the light come on. I'm thinking it may have been the sending unit.
Ok, what is a sending unit? and will it be on back order if I need one. I don't want to take my spyder back again. I will ride for a few days and see if the light comes on or not. I'll keep you posted.

Deb, I'm SO GLAD that you finally got your baby back :yes:

I know how frustrated you have been, & I don't blame you one bit :agree:

Hopefully :pray: all stays well & you get as many miles of ryde'n in that you care to :thumbup:

Are you and Brian going to Spyders in the Addirondacs(?):hun: Teddy & I are planning on making the trip now that Ive got most of the mods done & his :spyder2: is back in one piece again :roflblack: If so, it would be great to meet up with both of you again :2thumbs:

:yes:Good Times & Good Friends at a SpYder Rally:yes:does it get any better than that:yes:

No Dave, we aren't going to that one. Only so much vacation time. Thanks for all the good wishes though and I hope you and Teddy have a great trip and a great time.

Deb, glad to hear you are back on the road. Good luck, hope everything is ok now.
Tom, Thank you, I hope you get your Spyder back soon too and everything is resolved. Keep us posted with any new info.

3 lakes, here we come:ohyea::ohyea:

You got that right Dick and I can't wait!

COOLMACHINE
07-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Glad it's back. Hope you get some riding time in now. No rain. :D

GloryRyders
07-22-2011, 06:24 AM
:yes:.....Let the fun begin and :pray: for no stinkin oil light!:2thumbs:

docdoru
07-22-2011, 06:31 AM
:agree:On the RS low level oil = oil light turned off with a 1-2 sec delay when start the engine.

bullant12
07-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Glad to hear you are back rYding!!!:2thumbs:

spydrluvr
07-22-2011, 08:19 AM
:popcorn::popcorn: keeping my fingers crossed that problems are solved and the rest of ryding season will be trouble free. on that note.....let's go to the u. p.!!!!! i hear there are 3 great lakes up that way!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Firefly
07-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Sending unit:

Product Number: 420956169
Description: INTERRUPTEUR*OIL PRESSURE SWITCH for 2008 Can-Am Spyder GS 990 5-Speed Order Quantity: 2 Unit Price: $9.99

Need to use loctite 243 (blue) for install.

Simple stuff--- takes 10 minutes.

I have one in stock if you need it...

dltang
07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
:agree:On the RS low level oil = oil light turned off with a 1-2 sec delay when start the engine.
That is not the issue Doc, it is when I come to a stop after I have been riding already. I was good on the way to work this morning so I am hoping for the best.

bjt
07-22-2011, 09:24 PM
That is not the issue Doc, it is when I come to a stop after I have been riding already. I was good on the way to work this morning so I am hoping for the best.

Didn't you have this same problem once before, about two years ago? At that time they had to replace something on your Spyder to make the problem go away.

docdoru
07-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Didn't you have this same problem once before, about two years ago? At that time they had to replace something on your Spyder to make the problem go away.

Like Lamonster and Firefly said, IS the sending unit NOT the low oil level...